Collapse

Retiring to Calgary

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retiring to Calgary

A little background. My wife and I moved to Oakville in 1994, from Halifax, pregnant with our first child. It was to be a 2 year assignment. Fast forward 27 years and we are still here. Our 2 daughters have grown up here and since graduating post secondary, were married and relocated to Alberta. One is in Red Deer and the other is in Calgary. We always planned to move back East, but ... we want to be near our kids and eventually, grand kids. We have recently sold our home in Oakville and will be moving to the Calgary area after we close on March 30th. I have been a member at Greystone for 21 years and have tee'd it up there over 1,600 times. I have made so many great friends and memories at GS over the years. So this is where my friends at TGN come in? I need recommendations in the Calgary area. I have travelled 30 minutes each way to Greystone from Oakville and it gets tiresome. In retirement we want to be within 5 minutes of the golf course we join. So we need some real strong advice...we want a private club, reasonable costs, and a a great track to boot. Our budget for a home is around $1 mil. We have no friends there yet, only our kids who don't play golf. Would love some feedback on what you recommend. I have sent emails to many private golf clubs in Calgary where we plan to visit in January but nothing beats some real on the ground feedback. Thanks for anything you can share.
    Last edited by Corkster; Nov 23, 2021, 08:30 AM.

Can't help you with information you need about Calgary but .... Happy retirement and safe travels.

Comment

It's been a while since I lived in Calgary but depending on how close you want to be to the city core and what area you want to live in SW, SE, NW or NE and how big a house you require there are number of options

Iner city
      Calgary C&C
      The Winston Semi Private
      Willow Park
      Inglewood Semi Private
      Canyon Meadows
      Earl Grey

Less urban but still in / close the the city
      Country Hills (36 holes)
      Glencoe Club (54 holes)

I would strongly consider looking at Priddis greens (36 holes) but you are probably a 15 minute drive and the frost delays can be long due to elevation

Comment

OP
        I don't think you'll get much concrete feedback here....minimal Calgary members here...maybe DufferM.???
        Best you post on WRX in the Alberta folder....there are many Calgary WRX members who post there on a regular basis.

Be specific with your questions:
        What neighbourhood you're wishing to live in
        What your budget is for initiation and monthly dues
        What you want in a private club.

Best wishes on your move

PS....I wouldn't void Red Deer as a place to retire....ask the WRX members the pros & cons of living in RD.

Comment

I suggested in a recent post: Carnmoney, Mickelson, Bearspaw. Also a good one near Carnmoney is Cottonwood. Willow Park and Canyon Meadows and Earl Grey are ok but flat and unmemorable. The Winston is known as the club with the highest percentage of sandbaggers; you won't win an interclub match against a Winston member.

Red Deer is not a bad place to live but is getting to be like Grande Prairie --- rugged cities with drug problems.

Comment

Earl Grey, look for a house in North Glenmore Park. Both of our daughters and families are members there and live in the community. Club and community are excellent. Club has 18 hole championship course, 9 hole par three (attracts juniors) and very good practice facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
              Earl Grey, look for a house in North Glenmore Park. Both of our daughters and families are members there and live in the community. Club and community are excellent. Club has 18 hole championship course, 9 hole par three (attracts juniors) and very good practice facilities.
              Thanks Rulie. I just visited their website and will be calling the GM today. Unfortunately it looks like there is a waitlist for a Shareholder Membership and you have to join as Social first. It looks like an awesome track and facility. I really appreciate you sharing this information. We are going in blind as our daughter in Calgary just moved there and we do not know the city at all. We are booked to go house hunting in January and the golf course is probably the deciding factor on where we live.

Comment

Another couple to look at in the southwest would be Willow Park and Canyon Meadows. Both are private. Canyon Meadows is where the PGA Champions Tour event is held. I've played it a few times and it's fun, but I don't know much about the club, members or neighborhood. Same goes for Willow Park.
                You'll probably want to look at where your daughter is living and how to get from here to there. IIRC, it's easier to go North-South than East-West. We don't live in Calgary but are quite spoiled because our daughters live about a 5 minute walk from each other, and maximum 5 minute walk to Earl Grey.
                Good luck with your move!

Comment

Congratulations on your retirement and move! Calgary is a phenomenal city. The golf season is shorter, the shoulder seasons just don’t exist like they do here so golf is pretty much Victoria Day to thanksgiving, give or take a few weeks. Can you swing a place down in Scottsdale? Every other person there goes down to Arizona or Nevada or Palm Springs to get that extra golf in during the long cold winter.

it’s been a few years since I moved back to Ontario but I joined bearspaw when I was living there out there and loved it. Silver springs is another in that NW quadrant and if you’re looking for proximity somewhere between Tuscany and Varsity would leave you within 15 minutes of either. Partial to the NW as it’s geared to families and easier escape to the mountains for more golf or skiing in the winter. The other advice about the SW quadrant is good. Canyon meadows. Earl Grey. Calgary GC. Priddis.

Mention your clublink membership and that you’re looking to meet members and eventually bring grandkids out. They should be very eager for your business.

Comment

Lived in Edmonton for 10 years...it gets real cold in winter..
                    get a good parka...snow tires & a block heater..lol...Calgary
                    is a real nice city...the mountains are close and the area
                    gets a few chinook warmups in the winter...good people
                    to make friendships...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X