Collapse

Gaylord Michigan

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaylord Michigan

Thinking of a weeklong golf trip in the summer or fall. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Any courses to definitely play. Any to avoid. Any accommodation suggestions. Thanks

Not exactly what you are looking for but plenty of good deals and even if you are not buying from them; all the courses' information is very useful:

https://www.groupgolfer.com/deals.ph...ntent=baseline
    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

We go to Boyne every year (well used to . . . ). It is a bit North of Gaylord but well worth the trip. They also have everything at par in May and September (usually). I think they have like 10 different courses, all very nice and some (Bay Harbour) are some of the nicest in the US . . .
      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

I used to go to Lakewood Shores golf resort, not too far from Gaylord....it's close to the eastern shore of Lake Huron. They have 3 full sized courses there that are all included in the price (which is quite reasonable, even if you include the meal package). The courses are all different (parkland, links, target-golf oriented). Each time I was there, the courses were in excellent condition. They do offer discounts for Canadian golfers. There's also a short pitch and putt right behind the motel buildings, which I haven't used but I saw people on it frequently. Highly recommended.

Home - Lakewood Shores Golf Resort - Oscoda, Michigan - Home of The Gailes, Blackshire and The Serradella Golf Courses
        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Been up to the UP a few times. We stayed at the Grand one year on mackinac island. Played the Jewel - it was an interesting experience for sure. Also played Bay Harbor - very nice views of the lake...

Comment

I have been to Treetops and thought it was excellent. This was some years ago, so not sure how it is recently.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
              I used to go to Lakewood Shores golf resort, not too far from Gaylord....it's close to the eastern shore of Lake Huron. They have 3 full sized courses there that are all included in the price (which is quite reasonable, even if you include the meal package). The courses are all different (parkland, links, target-golf oriented). Each time I was there, the courses were in excellent condition. They do offer discounts for Canadian golfers. There's also a short pitch and putt right behind the motel buildings, which I haven't used but I saw people on it frequently. Highly recommended.

Home - Lakewood Shores Golf Resort - Oscoda, Michigan - Home of The Gailes, Blackshire and The Serradella Golf Courses
              That's where Big Shooter and I were going to go the year he passed, we heard good things about it so we were going to make reservations, there were a few other tracks we were going to play along the way, sadly we never made it..
              Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
              Callaway XR Hybrids, 4,5,6 / Accra I-Series
              Miura TC-201 6 - PW Project X - LZ
              Miura Tour Wedge / 52*- 56*- 60*/ Project X- LZ
              Putter / PXG Closer
              Pro V1x Left Dash
              Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel XV Cart Bag / White
              Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

check out the most recent season of Tourist Sauce on Youtube by the guys at No Laying Up they play a bunch of courses in Michigan including the UP.

I went 15 years ago and we did the Big Fore golf package with accommodations out of Petoskey. I think we also played The Moore which was part of Boyne and Hidden River.

Definitely want to go back someday.

My dad used to go with his friends each year and they really enjoyed Treetops and Boyne
                "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

Comment

I've stayed and played at Garland Resort near Gaylord, MI. 4 courses, but one of them (Fountains) was private when I went. The 3 others are great parkland style courses. The lodging setup was nice log cabins that would sleep 6...or maybe 8, with a full kitchen and BBQ. There was a meal package offered as well, but we did a lot of our own cooking. Pricing was excellent, but mine was part of a group of around 80 golfers.

I've been to Boyne as well. The courses are a little nicer, but it's pricier. Boyne is a little closer to civilization if you wanted to go 'in town' to tour around. Garland is off the beaten path so make sure to pack everything you might need.

Comment

Plan a side trip to Arcadia Bluffs and play the original course, beautiful water views. Was the highlight of our trip to Boyne

Comment

Originally posted by hannah View Post

That's where Big Shooter and I were going to go the year he passed, we heard good things about it so we were going to make reservations, there were a few other tracks we were going to play along the way, sadly we never made it..
                      You both would have enjoyed that resort. All of the courses. They're pretty straight-forward (nothing hidden) but still a challenge.
                      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

It would of been a fun trip
                        Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                        Callaway XR Hybrids, 4,5,6 / Accra I-Series
                        Miura TC-201 6 - PW Project X - LZ
                        Miura Tour Wedge / 52*- 56*- 60*/ Project X- LZ
                        Putter / PXG Closer
                        Pro V1x Left Dash
                        Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel XV Cart Bag / White
                        Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Bringing this thread back as I'm looking for some advice on a potential northern Michigan golf trip at the end of the summer.

Plan would be to drive out Wednesday, golf Thursday Friday and Saturday, then drive back Sunday. Traverse City and Gaylord are the two places I've heard about the most, but curious what people's opinions are on where the best golf is out that way.

Any suggestions or spots to avoid would be greatly appreciated. We don't mind a little bit of driving when we're there so we're indifferent between a full "golf resort", or an area with a couple nice courses and some hotels/restaurants.

Also, any course suggestions between northern MI and Toronto to play on the way there/back would be great!

TIA

Comment

Can only talk about Northern Michigan . . . We go to Boyne (Petosky) and they have 10 courses. In September/October they have Canadian at par . . . you got to like it . . . if interested let me know, I will give you more information.

Also heard some good thing about some courses in Charlevoix but never played there.
                            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Myself and 5 others just got back from 4 days at the Garland Resort and it was excellent. 4 courses as noted in this thread with good variety. The cabins we stayed in (single villas) were all just recently renovated, so dont let their outdated website pictures fool you. The customer service was excellent, and even though the parking lot was full, we almost felt like nobody was there. The outdoor saltwater pool was refreshing between rounds.

We bought a package that was sold at the beginning of the year called the golf show special. The cost was $159USD which included 2 rounds of golf (carts included), one nights accommodation and one breakfast. We each bought 3 of these passes which made for a full week of golf.

We are looking at Gull Lake View Resort for next year near Kalamazoo. You are able to take the Amtrak from Port Huron, MI to Kalamazoo for $24 USD which takes the long drive up the peninsula off the table. I haven't played their courses but have heard good things and will be doing some more research.

We have done a few trips to Orion area and played surrounding courses, but theres something to be said about parking your vehicle for the week and being able to enjoy cocktails on the course and not worry about driving back to the hotel.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
                              Titleist 913d3 8.5 with tour ad di 7x
                              Tour Edge Exotics 13 degree cb5
                              Titleist 909H 17 degree
                              Titleist 714 CB with KBS tour X stiff
                              Cleveland rtx 588 black 52, 56, 60
                              Yes Sophia blade putter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse