Cabot Cape Breton trip- Question re: Caddies

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Cape Breton trip- Question re: Caddies

Hello folks,

I am going to Cabot in a few weeks with two of my friends. We are all high handicappers (17 and up).
    We are staying one night at the resort and playing Cliffs and links once each. We are also playing the Nest course (10 hole par 3).

We have traveled for golf before, but it is our first time at such a high end resort/course and we have booked one caddie for the three of us when we play Cliffs and Links

I had 2 questions with regards to Caddies:

1. Is it worth it having one caddie for the group, especially if we are high hanicappers? I was thinking we should have the caddie for at least one of the rounds, because it is a novelty for us, but was considering canceling the caddy for the second round so it could just be us out there enjoying each others company. Thoughts on this?

2. How are caddies paid? Do we pay for the caddy at the proshop, do we pay the caddy directly? Do we pay a caddy fee at the proshop and then tip the caddy directly? How much do you tip a caddy especially if its just one caddy for the whole group?

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions

I would say yes to having a caddy, especially the first time around. There are a number of blind shots on both courses and they really helped me a lot, especially on cliffs. It's a fun experience and split 4 ways, it's really minimal cost. Some are characters and a lot of fun and adds to the experience.

You pay the caddy directly (or at least I did). I tipped him $20 ($100 for the round) and also gave the caddy in training that was with him $20, even though it wasn't required to pay him anything at all.

MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
      I would say yes to having a caddy, especially the first time around. There are a number of blind shots on both courses and they really helped me a lot, especially on cliffs. It's a fun experience and split 4 ways, it's really minimal cost. Some are characters and a lot of fun and adds to the experience.

You pay the caddy directly (or at least I did). I tipped him $20 ($100 for the round) and also gave the caddy in training that was with him $20, even though it wasn't required to pay him anything at all.
      Thanks for your input!

Just wanted to clarify- you paid the caddy directly and you gave him $100 for the round plus $20 on top of that? So if it was me and my 2 friends, would we pitch together to pay the caddy $100 and then each tip him on top of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Padzy View Post

Thanks for your input!

Just wanted to clarify- you paid the caddy directly and you gave him $100 for the round plus $20 on top of that? So if it was me and my 2 friends, would we pitch together to pay the caddy $100 and then each tip him on top of that?
        Yes, paid him $120 cash directly.

And yes, if you got one, he could alternate carrying your bags, etc. and helping with certain lines, etc. I might tip him a bit more if he was doing that for all of you (like $100+$50)

Comment

I live in NS so I play Cabot every year. I would also suggest having a caddie for your group just for the first round at each course. You should do ok without a caddie during the subsequent rounds.

Comment

Just played the Links and the Cliffs. The caddies are worth it. Better if each golfer takes their own caddy. 2 of the caddies in my group were retired military that did tours in Afganistan. They will be featured in next months score magazine. How often do you get a hero carrying your bag. Bought them some beers after the round.

Comment

You pay the caddies directly. Rate is $70 + tip. They are easily worth $100 or more.

Comment

Welcome to Cabot Cape Breton, where every hole offers an ocean view and where five holes play adjacent to the beach. Experience the best of Cape Breton golf.

Caddie Rates 2022*

Double Bag $65 per bag
                Single Bag $70 per bag
                Medical Cart Caddie** $70 per bag
                Group Caddie $100 per group
                *Caddie Fees are paid directly to the caddies, do not include gratuity, and are not included in green fee. Gratuity is at the guest’s discretion. Caddies at Cabot are self-employed. We will certainly do our utmost to accommodate your caddie requests but cannot guarantee availability.** While the Cabot courses are walking only, Medical Cart Caddies are available for those guest who are physically unable to walk the entire course. Medical note is required. All Prices are exclusive of HST and stated in Canadian Dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by mnorman View Post
                  Just played the Links and the Cliffs. The caddies are worth it. Better if each golfer takes their own caddy. 2 of the caddies in my group were retired military that did tours in Afganistan. They will be featured in next months score magazine. How often do you get a hero carrying your bag. Bought them some beers after the round.
                  Happy to hear that, well done to you!!! I always like to have my own caddy.

Comment

Thank you for all the great responses. Very helpful

Comment

Would not have enjoyed the round WITHOUT the caddie! Especially the 1st time for sure. Worth every penny.
                      I needed the Medical caddie (driving me around) following my knee surgery. He not only assists with shot selections but in my case, showed me the right line on #17 (a blind par 4) which resulted in my albatross hole-in-one! A definite once in a lifetime experience!
                      At the least, have 1 caddie for the group! Have fun!
                      Canada’s #1 course for sure, the Cliffs is our Pebble Beach equal!

Comment

Originally posted by CanColt View Post
                        Would not have enjoyed the round WITHOUT the caddie! Especially the 1st time for sure. Worth every penny.
                        I needed the Medical caddie (driving me around) following my knee surgery. He not only assists with shot selections but in my case, showed me the right line on #17 (a blind par 4) which resulted in my albatross hole-in-one! A definite once in a lifetime experience!
                        Canadaâs #1 course for sure, the Cliffs is our Pebble Beach equal!
                        Congrats on the hole in one, especially on that hole. A caddie helps there for sure, I don't think you would even know where to hit without one.

Comment

Wow! An albatross on 17!? Congrats

Comment

Sweet! Mine stopped 2 yards from the edge of the hill otherwise I would have been all the way down. I putted it down the hill about 100 yds and 2 putts for par.

Comment

Gonna be a windy weekend out at Cabot

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	384
Size:	970.3 KB
ID:	3591736

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X