/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Bucket list of courses to never play again.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucket list of courses to never play again.

Go to google maps and check the location for Clear Springs golf course near North Bay. It's so far out in the middle of nowhere, it could be in the Artic Circle. There's not even a grocery store, convenience store or gas station near-by. This is by far the worse course that I've ever played. I don't usually bad-mouth courses because they all have their own challenges, but this one deserves a review. The overall condition of the course is very poor. Weeds everywhere....some fairways and tees were more weeds than grass. The equipment used to mow the grass could use a serious upgrade. The mower used to cut the greens doesn't collect the clippings. There were grass clippings all over every green, and since there was a constant drizzle at the time, when you strike a putt by the time the ball rolls 10 feet it's covered in grass clippings causing the ball to roll in some strange ways. Bunkers were like hard-pan. I hit one wedge into a greenside bunker and it never even made a dent in the surface. I refused to even try a bunker shot for fear of damaging my SW. I stepped into the bunker to retrieve my ball and left no footprints. The course lay-out was decent with a good mix of doglegs in both directions, medium and short par 3's and a couple of long par 4's. If the conditioning was excessively improved I would consider playing there again. But they'd have to hire more pleasant employees. Except for the pleasant lady working the pro shop, the on course staff were pretty rude to everyone that I spoke with.
    The only good thing that I could say about the course was the pace of play. Since there were 3 cars in the lot when I got there late morning, I had the feeling this isn't going to be a good course. I finished in 2.5 hours, however by the time I got to the back 9 I was so focused on getting off the course that I couldn't concentrate on golf, just getting back to my truck. And the black flies. Now that's not the course's fault, but damn...those critters were flying around in formation out there!! Try concentrating on a putt with 4 or 5 drones buzzing in your ears!!
    If you're ever in this area, please choose a different course. If I was staying for a while, I'd be looking for a different course to play, regardless of the price.
    Oh, there was a sign in the pro shop that this course was #6 on the "best course in Ontario of budget courses". I think someone was paid off there!!
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Haven't played it since new owners but I've heard Sawmill Creek in Camlachie is very rundown now. One I'll stay away from.
    Titleist Tsi2 9* - PXG 0341XF 16* - PXG 0317XF 19/22* - P770/P7MC 5-PW - Zipcore 50/54/58 - Odyssey 7 Red

Comment

Credit Valley
      nevr again

Comment

Originally posted by Juggle View Post
        Credit Valley
        nevr again
        Now this is interesting...

Comment

Jasper Park Lodge.

Did not come anywhere near to living up to the hype.

Scenery was beautiful (and has been for a million years), but the course itself was 'average' at best.

Comment

Credit Valley
            nevr again
            any particular reason standing out?

I've never heard anything bad about CV, but I am not sure many would consider it a bucket list course. I would probably put them into the category of one of the better "mid tier private clubs" within the gta given the entire course/practice facility/amenities/clubhouse

Comment

Credit Valley
              nevr again
              Credit valley is a very good and enjoyable course. Beautiful holes along the Credit River in the valley (on the same property as MIssissauga CC). Great conditions. It’s not bucket list and nobody would ever say it. This post is nonsense.

Comment

Confused by the title here….are we talking “bucket list” courses that didn’t live up the the hype and you’d never play again? Or just what course do you never want to play again?

Comment

If you are in that neck of the woods again, highly recommend Osprey links: https://ospreylinksgolf.com
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by NineNineSix View Post
                    Confused by the title here….are we talking “bucket list” courses that didn’t live up the the hype and you’d never play again? Or just what course do you never want to play again?
                    I took it a kinda "Hall of Shame" list of the worst of the worst.

It veered a bit when Credit Valley and Jasper entered the discussion. And that's okay, one of the good things about TGN is we aren't confined to the exact point of any thread.

goshawk has always struck me as a very positive person, so for him to post this, it must really be awful. He is personally responsible for getting me to appreciate some lower end courses that I felt were "below me". You can find good at all prices - I now play Flemingdon a number of times a year, for example.

My addition to the list is Meaford Golf Course. Wonky design, confusing to follow, generally poor conditions. Nice staff, and cheap, but it's the only course I actively avoid. Some great comments in the reviews, like

"The course had all the undulation of an Augusta National, but on the tee boxes.
                    We asked the staff about some large ruts on the 3rd green, and they told us there was a high-speed police chase. Some say the police are still trying to find their way back to the clubhouse."
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                      If you are in that neck of the woods again, highly recommend Osprey links: https://ospreylinksgolf.com
                      That's where I was considering....I should always follow my gut feelings.
                      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Credit Valley
                        nevr again
                        Why? Very pleasant. I've played it several times.

Turtle Creek is on my list. Especially that hole up the hill that ends up in a bowling alley to the green. The pro shop reception was very good though. But that's all.
                        Last edited by nomullies; Jul 2, 2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NineNineSix View Post
                          I agree with the confusing title.
                          IMO....a bucket list are places you want play.

Otherwise...this should just be a list of course ya never want to return to....that course for me out here is Green Acres in Richmond...blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                            Jasper Park Lodge.

Did not come anywhere near to living up to the hype.

Scenery was beautiful (and has been for a million years), but the course itself was 'average' at best.
                            Totally agree...the course at JPL underwhelmed for me.
                            Same with Banff Spring...when I played....the Cauldron was closed because of maintenance.

Luckliy I did not pay for both...corporate outings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post

.that course for me out here is Green Acres in Richmond...blah.
                              Small world ….. my course for this list is Green Acres in Angus Ont ….blah x2

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X