/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Bucket list of courses to never play again.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post
    Tower Ranch in Kelowna.
    Almost all Les Ferber courses (SilverTip, Trickle Creek, Predator course at Predator Ridge, etc…) exemptions: Back 9 at Golden G&CC, that is soooo special…and there is one in Richmond…Mayfair?
    Brooklea GC in Midland…my in-laws were members, well, seasonal annual dues payers for years. The front nine had enough to be …curious….the back , dull and boring…and the owners have done everything in their power (last played it in 2019) to ignore anything resembling conditioning…..no sand in bunkers, weeds, inconsistent greens….just a nightmare….My dear in-laws were late in life to golf and went into retirement having to pinch pennies, but a membership at Midland G&CC would have been sooooo much better….Midland is a bit of a gem….
    Wasn't Russ Howard (the curler) also the golf pro at Brooklea for a number of years?

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Wasn't Russ Howard (the curler) also the golf pro at Brooklea for a number of years?
      He was.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
        Go to google maps and check the location for Clear Springs golf course near North Bay. It's so far out in the middle of nowhere, it could be in the Artic Circle. There's not even a grocery store, convenience store or gas station near-by. This is by far the worse course that I've ever played....
        Your surprised that a course with absolutely nothing around it and winter 9 months of the year was in poor condition... noooooo ****, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor59 View Post

Your surprised that a course with absolutely nothing around it and winter 9 months of the year was in poor condition... noooooo ****, lol.
          I was surprised, based on the reviews that were posted.
          U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post
            Tower Ranch in Kelowna.
            Almost all Les Ferber courses (SilverTip, Trickle Creek, Predator course at Predator Ridge, etc…) exemptions: Back 9 at Golden G&CC, that is soooo special…and there is one in Richmond…Mayfair?
            Too each their own...but I like Furber's courses...the ones I've played.
            Yes, Mayfair Lakes in Richmond, BC.

My friend played Tower Ranch and didn't care for it.

Comment

Yep. I took several lessons from him.Nice guy, but I don’t believe he ever actually had his RCGA certification as a pro….not totally sure tho.
              Callaway Maverick, Evenflow 65gm Reg, 45", 17 gm weight
              Callaway Rogue 13*, Evenflow 75 gm reg flex
              Callaway Rogue 15*, Evenflow 75 gm, reg flex
              Callaway Rogue 21* Hybrid, Aldila Rogue Black 85 gm
              TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
              Ping Stealth 54/14 and 58/14 wedges
              Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
                Go to google maps and check the location for Clear Springs golf course near North Bay. It's so far out in the middle of nowhere, it could be in the Artic Circle. There's not even a grocery store, convenience store or gas station near-by. This is by far the worse course that I've ever played. I don't usually bad-mouth courses because they all have their own challenges, but this one deserves a review. The overall condition of the course is very poor. Weeds everywhere....some fairways and tees were more weeds than grass. The equipment used to mow the grass could use a serious upgrade. The mower used to cut the greens doesn't collect the clippings. There were grass clippings all over every green, and since there was a constant drizzle at the time, when you strike a putt by the time the ball rolls 10 feet it's covered in grass clippings causing the ball to roll in some strange ways. Bunkers were like hard-pan. I hit one wedge into a greenside bunker and it never even made a dent in the surface. I refused to even try a bunker shot for fear of damaging my SW. I stepped into the bunker to retrieve my ball and left no footprints. The course lay-out was decent with a good mix of doglegs in both directions, medium and short par 3's and a couple of long par 4's. If the conditioning was excessively improved I would consider playing there again. But they'd have to hire more pleasant employees. Except for the pleasant lady working the pro shop, the on course staff were pretty rude to everyone that I spoke with.
                The only good thing that I could say about the course was the pace of play. Since there were 3 cars in the lot when I got there late morning, I had the feeling this isn't going to be a good course. I finished in 2.5 hours, however by the time I got to the back 9 I was so focused on getting off the course that I couldn't concentrate on golf, just getting back to my truck. And the black flies. Now that's not the course's fault, but damn...those critters were flying around in formation out there!! Try concentrating on a putt with 4 or 5 drones buzzing in your ears!!
                If you're ever in this area, please choose a different course. If I was staying for a while, I'd be looking for a different course to play, regardless of the price.
                Oh, there was a sign in the pro shop that this course was #6 on the "best course in Ontario of budget courses". I think someone was paid off there!!
                I recently played there and had a completely opposite take.

Bang for your buck, the course was great. The greens rolled very nicely. I was only in one bunker and it was what I’d describe as “normal fluffy”.

It’s not a bomber’s course but rather a placement course. There are some sharp doglegs and a few other holes that require precision shots. I think I used my driver twice.

I’ve heard it’s usually not too busy in the afternoon. Mid day it was quite steady.

I’ll definitely go back again and would recommend it as a course to try if driving through North Bay. It’s only 15 minutes east of Powassan. Yeah, it’s in the country but for those of us who don’t live in urban areas, not being near a grocery store or gas station isn’t unusual.
                Last edited by Cdntac; Aug 6, 2022, 06:43 AM. Reason: Grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by NineNineSix View Post
                  Confused by the title here….are we talking “bucket list” courses that didn’t live up the the hype and you’d never play again? Or just what course do you never want to play again?
                  Option 2
                  U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Wydlewood. Glad I got my tee time at a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by LowStinger View Post
                      Now that I better understand this thread…. For me it Highland Links in cape breton. Not saying I wouldn’t play it again, it was great. But it was way off the mark in terms of what I was expecting as past No 1 in Canada. The conditions were pretty bad. The design which gets so much credit was good but a few holes were weird to me. I didn’t find any of the holes truly memorable. It was nasty walk - extremely hard walk. It’s for sure a top 50 course in Canada but not mainstay in the top 10 (for me ).
                      Agree, played it when we went out to play Cabot, nice course, but can’t understand how it’s always in the Top 10 in Canada

Comment

I have a friend who enjoys playing Bushwood. and Parkview Upper. And really likes Watson's Glen.

However he absolutely refuses to play Lakeridge Links, Parkview Valley, and Kedron Dells. And will only play Royal Ashburn 'under protest'.
                        That is nuts. The Valley is the better of the two courses at Parkview and it isn't even close. Hole #2 one of the most underrated in the GTA.

Comment

Originally posted by midlifecrisis View Post

That is nuts. The Valley is the better of the two courses at Parkview and it isn't even close. Hole #2 one of the most underrated in the GTA.
                          I certainly agree regarding hole #2 at Parkview's Valley Course. It would be a good hole on just about any course in the province. I also like the short elevated par 3 with the blind shot to the green down in the valley. However he believes that there are too many blind shots and 'tricked out' doglegs in the remaining holes to enjoy his round.

I also forget to mention that he will no longer play Lakeridge.

But get a tee time at Kawartha and he would leave his own birthday/anniversary party on short notice to go play.

Comment

My brother reported that Duntroon Highlands was a disaster and never go back. Tee boxes were all on a slant and hard as a rock, virtually every tee shot was through a narrow, overgrown chute, bad layout. Really covered all the bases.
                            WITB
                            9.5 Nike Covert
                            15 TM Rocketballz
                            3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                            52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                            TM White Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
                              My brother reported that Duntroon Highlands was a disaster and never go back. Tee boxes were all on a slant and hard as a rock, virtually every tee shot was through a narrow, overgrown chute, bad layout. Really covered all the bases.
                              Played there years ago, swore I’d never return. Sounds like there is still no need to go back.

Comment

I'm far from a 'golf snob' and will tee it up anywhere if the the green fee is relatively 'fair' in relation to conditions. With that being said, there is only one course I have played that I refuse, under any circumstances, to play again. That course is Turtle Creek... when I was a beginner golfer, we would play whatever course had the cheapest green fee on GolfNow and was within an hour drive, usually booking the night before... its really just an all around pathetic golf course... the conditions, the layout, the property... are all terrible.

There are other public courses in the GTHA that I don't think are good 'value', but I would still play them if invited... You couldn't pay me to play the aforementioned Turtle Creek.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X