Collapse

Dublin to Waterford

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dublin to Waterford

I'll be in Ireland in May. Fixing up a family home, taking care of an estate sale, plan to sneak in a little golf. Send me your recommendations please. I may head to Cork for a bit, so there too.

Waterford for sure take in the historic Golf Course and the
    Waterford Crystal https://www.waterfordvisitorcentre.com/
    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
      I'll be in Ireland in May. Fixing up a family home, taking care of an estate sale, plan to sneak in a little golf. Send me your recommendations please. I may head to Cork for a bit, so there too.
      If you are going to Cork, try to get on Old Head (south of the city of Cork).

Comment

Originally posted by threeputt View Post

If you are going to Cork, try to get on Old Head (south of the city of Cork).
        Played it in the past at over $600 a round its well down on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
          Your #1 option on the south side of Dublin, without a doubt, is the European Club.

A really good lesser known links near Co. Waterford is Rosslare. Definitely worth the side trip.

In Cork, as mentioned, Old Head is a mediocre golf course on an eye-popping piece of land, worth it if you are rich but maybe not otherwise. Cork GC ("Little Island") is a quirky MacKenzie layout that you might enjoy if you're a historian.

Not much else -- in the way of links courses especially -- on the south coast of Eire.

Comment

Any top-notch courses are booked miles out in advance. Last year I played Ballybunion and my sister had made the booking for us the previous year lol. But, just like here, a single that calls in on short notice might be able to get out.

Ones that come to mind ( that I've played), moving north to south:

Blainroe just outside Wicklow town is beautiful, has a few holes that go along the coast.

Coollattin, Co.Wicklow is a nice parkland course, should be a reasonable cost. My mother was a member here for about 10yrs

Courtown in Wexford is a lovely parkland course.

As mentioned previously above, Rosslare is an absolutely beautiful track, one of my favourite courses, but I'm partial to a links course.

Post if you're actually going to Cork, as I know Cork very well. Born in Cork, raised in Dublin. Played a lot of youth tournaments around the country in my teens, so got to see some great tracks.

I'm getting jealous just thinking about it......

Last edited by Hugh Jass; Apr 10, 2023, 01:38 PM.

Comment

On the topic of Ireland... anyone have any suggestions on best courses to play that are easily accessible from Blessington?

Will be in staying with GFs family in Blessington at the end of April for a non-golf trip, but looking to try and get one round in. Would love to play The European Club as it looks incredible, but can't seem to find any easy way to travel from Blessington (we will not have a car). Any suggestions on courses, or transportation, are greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by zshereck View Post
                On the topic of Ireland... anyone have any suggestions on best courses to play that are easily accessible from Blessington?

Will be in staying with GFs family in Blessington at the end of April for a non-golf trip, but looking to try and get one round in. Would love to play The European Club as it looks incredible, but can't seem to find any easy way to travel from Blessington (we will not have a car). Any suggestions on courses, or transportation, are greatly appreciated!
                Yes, you are not really anywhere near the European Club there, given that the Wicklow Mountains intervene. I don't know of any way to do it without wheels. Very close to Blessington you have Tulfarris -- looks like that would be your best bet. I have not played it though so just an educated guess:

https://www.tulfarrishotel.com/golf​

Or can you play somewhere near Dublin Airport on arrival or getaway day? Some brilliant links courses are very close, such as Portmarnock, The Island, Corballis, etc. As mentioned they may well be booked up for visitor play but you never know, especially if you're a single.

Comment

Originally posted by midlifecrisis View Post

Yes, you are not really anywhere near the European Club there, given that the Wicklow Mountains intervene. I don't know of any way to do it without wheels. Very close to Blessington you have Tulfarris -- looks like that would be your best bet. I have not played it though so just an educated guess:

https://www.tulfarrishotel.com/golf​

Or can you play somewhere near Dublin Airport on arrival or getaway day? Some brilliant links courses are very close, such as Portmarnock, The Island, Corballis, etc. As mentioned they may well be booked up for visitor play but you never know, especially if you're a single.
                  Thanks for the response. Will check out Tulfarris, thanks for the recommendation.

Flight out is at 10AM so that day obviously doesn't work, and getting picked up from airport by GFs family so don't think that request would go over well!

Comment

Originally posted by zshereck View Post

Thanks for the response. Will check out Tulfarris, thanks for the recommendation.

Flight out is at 10AM so that day obviously doesn't work, and getting picked up from airport by GFs family so don't think that request would go over well!
                    Och. Worse luck. G/F's dad, brother, third cousin, aren't golfers?

Comment

The trip is going well so far. I have played Waterford Golf and Country and Williamston golf club at 45 and 18 euro respectively. Williamston is a 6700 yard muni course that has some teeth. It plays longer due to the sea air and cool winds. I plan to play Rosslare and may try some courses around Wicklow on Sunday. I have to drop family off at the airport so I can sneak in an afternoon round. I'll be staying for a month supervising renovations so I'll have lots of time for golf in the coming weeks. I've contemplated joining one of the local clubs for 350 euro.

Comment

I've heard good things about Wicklow Golf Club - seems fairly decent.

Lee Valley on the Western outskirts of Cork has been ranked well for affordability

Comment

Wicklow is good with some fantastic views. My dad enjoys playing Paul McGinley's Macreddin as well but it's further inland

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X