Nova Scotia: Valley Area Golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova Scotia: Valley Area Golf

Hi All,

I am headed to Nova Scotia this week and am curious if anyone has played any of the Valley courses in the last few years. I will be staying w/parents in the Halifax area, but don't mind driving 90mins+ for a round. Is Avon Valley, Ken-Wo, or Paragon worth the drive? I have played all 3, but not in the last 20 years.

I think I know most of the options around the city, up to Truro, and down to Bridgewater... but the Valley... well its been awhile.

For reference... I played Truro, Glen Arbour, Brunello, Chester, and Osprey in 2021. Chester and then Truro gave the best value for me (and also brought back fond memories). I remember those three Valley courses as being on similar-ish level to Chester and Truro, but perhaps this has changed (my year 2003 ranking would be 1- Ken-Wo, 2- Paragon, 3-Avon). I have rounds at Bluenose scheduled for tomorrow and Brunello (twilight) Monday - which now probably needs to be rescheduled (go Oilers).

Unfortunately, I do not have time for venturing further (still have not played Digby Pines, Northumberland, Fox Harbour, Cabots, or Highlands Links) and do not have connections for any of the private Halifax courses (Oakfield, Ashburn, or Brightwood).

Thanks!

Hey , I’m from NS but moved to Ontario about 9 yrs ago and I haven’t played those 3 course you have highlighted in about 10 years … but all are decent courses and if memory serves me Paragon would be the best of the 3 , I’m not sure oakfield is private anymore, might be worth looking into .. you might even see Sidney Crosby out there as he was a member there …not sure if your member anywhere but Ashburn is pretty good about accommodating if you have your club pro make a call , if you can get onto New Ashburn it is fantastic. There is also Granite Springs just past Peggy’s Cove ( nice scenic drive if you take lighthouse route ) so about 30 mins from DT Halifax , it’s ok . Some good views but pretty tight course , and some very unforgiving bounces even if you land dead Center of the fairway. Lost Creek in Sackville is ok as well , certainly nothing to rave about but only about 20 mins from Halifax.

Comment

In my opinion and in order, just for comparison; Chester, Ken-Wo and Avon Valley. Have never played Paragon.

Comment

Added Avon Valley and Hartlen Point to my list of Nova Scotia golf courses that I've recently played. Would definitely recommend both and for $60-$70 each - they are very good value!

Comment

Originally posted by prov86 View Post
          Added Avon Valley and Hartlen Point to my list of Nova Scotia golf courses that I've recently played. Would definitely recommend both and for $60-$70 each - they are very good value!
          How was Fog and wind at Hartlen ?

Comment

Originally posted by Risky84 View Post

How was Fog and wind at Hartlen ?
            There were moments on the back nine when I thought maybe I would not be able to finish due to the fog that was rolling in and out. That day it had rained until about 3. I teed off at maybe 345 and was done in 2h45m walking. Wind was pretty strong too!

Comment

Originally posted by prov86 View Post

There were moments on the back nine when I thought maybe I would not be able to finish due to the fog that was rolling in and out. That day it had rained until about 3. I teed off at maybe 345 and was done in 2h45m walking. Wind was pretty strong too!
              That’s the Hartlen Point I remember ! lol

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
              X