Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spam - why

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spam - why

Originally posted by Benz View Post
    I disagree. It has everything to do with how easy it is to sign up for the site. It can be done automatically and, once complete, then new 'user' can post a message. All of the spam I've seen appears to be (user names, content, etc.) generated using automated tools.

Using a CAPTCHA for every post would simply not be practical on TGN.
    That's where you and I disagree. I speak from experience as a developer. A CAPTCHA would literally take one mouse click and take less than 15 seconds to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
      Hah! At a rate of 120 posts in 6 years, I see where you're coming from.

However, if you're a more active poster, this would be an issue.

(Let's not get into quality vs. quantity - I hate that sort of thing...)
      I was waiting for an ignorant comment like that. A 15 second, single click CAPTCHA isn't the end of the world. Whatever. I was just trying to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmos411 View Post
        That's where you and I disagree. I speak from experience as a developer. A CAPTCHA would literally take one mouse click and take less than 15 seconds to do.
        I speak from experience as a developer, too. It's not practical for TGN.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by cosmos411 View Post
          I was waiting for an ignorant comment like that. A 15 second, single click CAPTCHA isn't the end of the world. Whatever. I was just trying to help out.
          Sorry - wasn't intending to offend.

Just pointing out that 15 seconds for 120 posts isn't a big imposition, it's 30 minutes. And if your spread that out over 6 years, it's pretty much nothing.

For a verbose guy like me, it would be 47 hours. We see the issue from a different perspective.

I still think the issue is one of signup - something you only do once so it can be more onerous. In fact, if people aren't willing to enter a captcha or reply to an email confirmation... they're probably not serious about joining.

The pattern with spammers here is that they sign up, make 1 or 2 posts, then the mods delete both the posts and the spam accounts. So I think if you curtail them at the sign up process, you've more or less solved the problem.

Here's the good news: We've got a new owner who shows interest in solving some of the problems.

FWIW I've got a background in software design, UI design, coding, database design, training, implementation...
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

They seem to be back

Comment

I didn't pick up on it before but why can't CAPTCHA be added at registration. I thought posts could not be made by unregistered posters. How can an automated tool register and bypass CAPTCHA?
              Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
              - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
                I didn't pick up on it before but why can't CAPTCHA be added at registration. I thought posts could not be made by unregistered posters. How can an automated tool register and bypass CAPTCHA?
                Good question.

I logged out and looked at the Registration process and it uses CAPTCHA.

I'm not sure if it did before the upgrade to VBulletin 5 a couple of months ago.

So... how do the bots get through that? Are they that good at deciphering the images?
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

The clean up tools aren't as straight forward in this new version. It's a little more involved to remove some of the posts / spammers. I know this is being worked on so hopefully we will see an improvement soon.
                  TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                  TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                  TM Speedblade 3 iron Accra proto
                  TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
                  Callaway X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
                  Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                  100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

One has just got through
                    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Soon it will be just like this, sometimes you get what you ask for. Click image for larger version  Name:	hackers.png Views:	2 Size:	431.7 KB ID:	2668800
                      Last edited by 4underthru9; Aug 11, 2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

The organic Viagara I ordered from this site didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by corchard View Post
                          The organic Viagara I ordered from this site didn't work.
                          Really.
                          Last edited by 4underthru9; Aug 14, 2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 170,000   Posts: 1,777,291   Members: 46,469   Active Members: 296
                          Welcome to our newest member, kylegolfer.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                          X