Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from The Briars Golf Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Badcaddie View Post
    Recently left my last membership. Can you pm me with the latest offers. I understand Hedge Road landing is mega delayed and likely there is a large influx of members inbound in a year or two. Not really interested in getting back to limited tee times. Also a big peeve for me was countless tournaments in prime time June and July. How many tournaments are held in June- August at the Briars? By the way there is new Resort owner from Asia- I recall hearing he is supportive of the golf course. Is that still the case? I recall there is no driving range just a wedge warm-up area. Any plans to change that?
    Here's a copy of an article that appeared in The Era Banner in May 2017,
    it explains some of what you are asking OP, who no doubt will respond to your questions.
    I think the fact that they have a new marketing person and that they joined TGN as a sponsor is a very positive signal about what their intentions are going forward.

Courtesy of an Article by Cuddy Shark of the Era Banner.

Stow away fears that The Briars Golf Club is going to be put down and turned into a housing development any time soon.

In fact, it figures golfers will be teeing it up at the Jackson’s Point 18-hole course for a long, long time into the future. You can’t say that about so many other golf courses in York Region and beyond that have been killed off in the name of progress.

Firmly entrenched in the community since 1922, when renowned golf course designer Stanley Thompson put down the first nine holes – an additional nine holes were designed in 1971 by Robbie Robinson - The Briars is a local celebrity.

Unlike the tale of too many golf facilities sold off these days, the transaction this spring that shifted ownership of the iconic Briars resort from the hands of the Sibbald family to Chinese businessman Rong Lu will not end badly for golfers. In fact, a happy, healthy situation appears to be in store for members of the golf club.

You can’t blame anyone for thinking the worst. Just think how many times in the past few years a developer has purchased a course then paved over paradise.

In the Briars’ case, no housing development is in the immediate plan. For starters, there isn’t even the whiff of infrastructure required to maintain and service housing in the works.

Happily, for golfers at least, the existence of a lease between the resort and golf club to keep the course swinging will put minds at ease. The perpetual lease, which comes up for renewal every 21 years, was most recently re-upped in 2013, thereby taking the current agreement to 2034.

Interestingly, only seven of the 18 golf holes on the property are owned by the golf club. The remaining 11 holes are property of the resort purchased by Lu. It’s easy math: a seven-hole course isn’t exactly an inspiring true golfing experience.

It is important to understand the golf club and its members have first option to purchase the 11 remaining holes on resort property.

“When (the resort) first went up for sale, we made them aware if a developer was coming in, we wanted the first chance to buy that share,” said The Briars’ golf club president Barry Towner. “But Mr. Lu is a resort owner, not a developer. That was music to our ears.”

Family matriarch Barbara Sibbald passes the torch, and a ceremonial key to the Briars Resort, to new owner Rong Lu of China during an introductory luncheon at the iconic Georgina resort April 25. - Peter Sibbald photo

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rong Lu.jpg Views:	32 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	2939210
    Last edited by 4underthru9; Mar 21, 2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Badcaddie View Post
      Recently left my last membership. Can you pm me with the latest offers. I understand Hedge Road landing is mega delayed and likely there is a large influx of members inbound in a year or two. Not really interested in getting back to limited tee times. Also a big peeve for me was countless tournaments in prime time June and July. How many tournaments are held in June- August at the Briars? By the way there is new Resort owner from Asia- I recall hearing he is supportive of the golf course. Is that still the case? I recall there is no driving range just a wedge warm-up area. Any plans to change that?
      Thanks for the message, for your interest in The Briars as well as for your questions. I'd love to chat with you about membership opportunities/offers and to share with you more about the club itself. Regarding Hedge Road Landing, your right, it has been a long time coming and was plagued with delays. They seem to be making progress which is a great thing. No worries relating to a 'large influx of members' as we have a membership cap in place (390 across all categories), which would prevent us from ever being overcrowded. That's actually one of the features we're most proud of, 3.5 hour rounds of golf are pretty typical. Regarding outside tournaments, June is typically our busiest month, however 'busy' is a relative term; we are cautions not to overbook events and keep tee time priorities to our members and their guests.

You're correct about new Resort ownership, and our relationship with them continues to grow and develop in a mutually beneficial way, as it has for the past 96 years. Regarding the driving range, we do offer a small short game practice area, nets for longer shots and a putting and chipping area. We also have a partnership with the driving range a couple miles down the road which provides additional options to members. The development of a range on site has been in discussions for a while, and will continue to be explored. The challenge is designating the right land location, which has to be done in conjunction with the Resort.

Let me know if you have any additional questions/concerns/suggestions as I'm always open to hearing feedback and answering any questions. Hope to see you on the links soon! 30 days until we open!
      The Briars Golf Club is a premier private club, located in Jacksons Point on the shores of Lake Simcoe.

www.briarsgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by BriarsGolf View Post

Thanks for the welcome.
        Regarding the property, the golf club and the resort have been neighbors for nearly 100 years, over that time we've developed a great (and unique) relationship. As you mentioned, part of the golf course is developed on the resorts land; the lease is perpetually renewed ever 20 years. Resort guests are also the only non-members allowed to play the course. It's a great partnership.

Regarding Jon Anderson, yes he will be at the club again this season and does offer lessons for non members. Have you taken lessons from Jon in the past?
        Yes I have at different locations though. He's a great instructor and I've recommended him to numerous friends, so was just checking where he will be this coming season, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Here's a copy of an article that appeared in The Era Banner in May 2017,
          it explains some of what you are asking OP, who no doubt will respond to your questions.
          I think the fact that they have a new marketing person and that they joined TGN as a sponsor is a very positive signal about what their intentions are going forward.

Courtesy of an Article by Cuddy Shark of the Era Banner.

Thanks for sharing that article, great info which I hadn't previously seen. Regarding the marketing, I'm excited to bring a new perspective to the way the club portrayed. I'm a big fan of community development (hence the involvement with TGN) as well as digital marketing via social media, sharing our story and tracking all the appropriate web traffic.

Looking forward to a great season ahead.
          FORE!
          The Briars Golf Club is a premier private club, located in Jacksons Point on the shores of Lake Simcoe.

www.briarsgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Yes I have at different locations though. He's a great instructor and I've recommended him to numerous friends, so was just checking where he will be this coming season, thanks.
            Awesome. I agree, he is great; we're fortunate to have him providing lesson here.

Hope to see you up at the course this coming season. In which case, be sure to stop in and say hi.
            Scott

www.briarsgolf.com

Comment

Appreciate the response and the PM. Will be making a decision by the back 9 on Sunday in Augusta!

Thanks for the message, for your interest in The Briars as well as for your questions. I'd love to chat with you about membership opportunities/offers and to share with you more about the club itself. Regarding Hedge Road Landing, your right, it has been a long time coming and was plagued with delays. They seem to be making progress which is a great thing. No worries relating to a 'large influx of members' as we have a membership cap in place (390 across all categories), which would prevent us from ever being overcrowded. That's actually one of the features we're most proud of, 3.5 hour rounds of golf are pretty typical. Regarding outside tournaments, June is typically our busiest month, however 'busy' is a relative term; we are cautions not to overbook events and keep tee time priorities to our members and their guests.

You're correct about new Resort ownership, and our relationship with them continues to grow and develop in a mutually beneficial way, as it has for the past 96 years. Regarding the driving range, we do offer a small short game practice area, nets for longer shots and a putting and chipping area. We also have a partnership with the driving range a couple miles down the road which provides additional options to members. The development of a range on site has been in discussions for a while, and will continue to be explored. The challenge is designating the right land location, which has to be done in conjunction with the Resort.

Let me know if you have any additional questions/concerns/suggestions as I'm always open to hearing feedback and answering any questions. Hope to see you on the links soon! 30 days until we open!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. Currently, the course is available to members, guests of members as well as guests of our neighbouring resort, The Briars Resort and Spa. I'm thinking of organising a 'TGN Day' in early spring, to give access to anyone here interested in experiencing our facility. Stay tuned for more details on that as I get them dialed-in.
                This would be awesome!!!!!!

Comment

Any update on a possible TGN experience at the Briers ?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by frankat View Post
                    Any update on a possible TGN experience at the Briers ?

Frank
                    Or at The Briars

Comment

I'd also love to get out there, any update ?

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 168,555   Posts: 1,764,213   Members: 46,234   Active Members: 256
                      Welcome to our newest member, underscore.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                      X