MARKHAM GOLF DOME

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MARKHAM GOLF DOME

The most horrible customer service anywhere -

1:The Manager attacks patrons believing they are golf instructors trying to steal their students --- happened while I was waiting for a mat --- I was about to call the Police - assaulted and threatened to get beat up outside - but the cashier walked over and told me he would not charge me for the time and not to call the Police. I paid and left in spite of the offer.

2: The owner walked up to me at another date and said " you cant hit for free " after I took a 100 dollar lesson - and as I was about to buy a 700 dollar membership ? I decided to wait until I went there with my friends . I told him I was not hitting for free given how I was at the putting area after my lesson as my instructor was giving another lesson .

3: The following week same owner walked over to me as I was waiting for three friends who wanted to join - 700 dollar annual fee- and I was waiting for a lesson - along with how they were holding a sale - a table full of clubs - I wanted to buy one - Callaway epic flash - the owner repeated the same argument - " you cant hit for free "?

I pointed out how I was putting , not on a mat , and waiting for three friends, about to join, and buy some clubs....... and than it occurred to me --- I was about to spend 700 for a membership - 250 for a Calloway 3 wood- and have 3 of my friends spend 2100 to join --- a total of over 3000 dollars..... why would I continue to take abuse ?

So I called my friends, told them to cancel, I told the owner I would never come back, and my pro teacher whispered that the owner is a jerk and how everyone thinks he is doing everything to make people leave ......

The good news---- the Metro Golf Dome - brand new just opened --- its clean, huge , has everything plus plus and great customer service - so I gave them 700 dollars for member ship and it ha been great ever since ..... clean washrooms - locker room - over 130 yard hitting area - polite people - its the best indoor golf facility in Toronto by far .

Here is the link ---- they are not complete in their renovation - 95% done ---- so they gave me another 10% off --- all that is left is restaurant- putting area - other wise best value best service - clean - polite - and number one------

Happy practicing .. here is the link

Markham dome has always been a dump; it's 15 minutes from my house and I would rather drive another 20 to get to the Metro Golf Dome; much nicer facility and it sounds like it is even better now since the accident last year. So glad it reopened.

Comment

These days no more love here either for the Markham Dome.
      At one time a few years back it was my late evening place to go with my two boys.
      They really enjoyed it there and that evening special deal was a good price.
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

He is a piece of work. Years ago when I was teaching, I spoke with him to maybe arrange a place to bring students during the winter. I specifically told him that I would not be talking with anyone else in the dome other than the person I was with. He said it was ok as long as I got a membership there. I asked how much was the membership and he told me $25K. After turning and walking out without responding, it took me a long time to stop laughing. All he had to say was "no outside instructors allowed". Being an A-hole wasn't necessary.
        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Been there once this month (closest indoor place for me), wasn’t greeted with a hi or hello.. was asked why I was there?? Lol. Then was asked if I was an instructor as well... definitely not the friendliest people working there. I didn’t have as rough of a time as you did though. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Welcome to the forum btw!

Comment

That's the Markham Dome we all know...somethings just don't change for the better no matter how many chances you give them.

I think there was only one staff at the reception desk that didn't treat the patron in a hostile manner but the rest act like the owner.

If the owner is supercilious by nature, the minions will be as well.
            Spread the words. Stop going there. It's a dump, help the place go into extinction, good riddance!

Also, I don't mean to be a self appointed forum police but I think this post really belongs in the Golf Course & Practice Facility section.

Comment

Yet somehow it won a Gold award in the Toronto Star's Reader's Choice awards! Certainly kills any credibility that list ever had for me.

Comment

I've been going there for over 3 years and have had no problem at all. I'm an annual member now. Maybe since I rarely would interact with this owner (not sure who is the owner actually) since I go there on weekday evenings, I never had any issues with anyone there. I agree the guys who work on the evenings there don't really try to be personable, but I don't care as long as I get to get my practice session in. In fact, they were pretty flexible on a few occasions I forgot to bring my membership card.

Comment

Originally posted by cheonghm View Post
                  I've been going there for over 3 years and have had no problem at all. I'm an annual member now. Maybe since I rarely would interact with this owner (not sure who is the owner actually) since I go there on weekday evenings, I never had any issues with anyone there. I agree the guys who work on the evenings there don't really try to be personable, but I don't care as long as I get to get my practice session in. In fact, they were pretty flexible on a few occasions I forgot to bring my membership card.
                  It is owned by Gerard Waslen, who also owns Timber Ridge GC in Brighton Ontario.
                  He was also a previous owner of Launch and has had dealings in other golf merchandise.
                  I have known him for years and done some golf business with him at all three of those locations. In fact I was having a chat in the office of a mutual acquaintance when the phone rang and Gerard said to him you'll never guess, but I just went out and bought a bloody golf course. I always found him to be a nice guy to deal with; and some may recall he did the original TV commercials for Markham Dome. My only take on the down fall of Launch and what appears to be happening again at Markham now, is maybe took on too much and it's telling. Have not been there since 2017 so I don't know about now, but I never sensed any issues with staff attitudes maybe because they knew who I knew, just saying.

As far as one poster calling him out because he wanted a huge fee for using the Dome for doing golf lessons there, what did they expect the place is set up with half a dozen teaching Pros who pay a big buck to do just that, and I can guarantee it is a whole lot more than just the annual mat membership.
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

It is owned by Gerard Waslen, who also owns Timber Ridge GC in Brighton Ontario.
                    He was also a previous owner of Launch and has had dealings in other golf merchandise.
                    I have known him for years and done some golf business with him at all three of those locations. In fact I was having a chat in the office of a mutual acquaintance when the phone rang and Gerard said to him you'll never guess, but I just went out and bought a bloody golf course. I always found him to be a nice guy to deal with; and some may recall he did the original TV commercials for Markham Dome. My only take on the down fall of Launch and what appears to be happening again at Markham now, is maybe took on too much and it's telling. Have not been there since 2017 so I don't know about now, but I never sensed any issues with staff attitudes maybe because they knew who I knew, just saying.

As far as one poster calling him out because he wanted a huge fee for using the Dome for doing golf lessons there, what did they expect the place is set up with half a dozen teaching Pros who pay a big buck to do just that, and I can guarantee it is a whole lot more than just the annual mat membership.
                    I don't have a problem with any range charging a fee to outside instructors. It's business. But I doubt that the 6 instructors who are working there are paying the Dome $25K for the privilege of acquiring students there. Also, these 6 instructors are there to work with students who came to that facility looking for instruction from the resident pros....I was just bringing one person with me looking for a place to hit balls. I have never looked for new students at any of the 6 ranges where I was permitted to bring students, and wasn't about to do so at the Dome. Last winter, I was there with 2 friends (father and daughter) and we were sharing 2 mats (all 3 of us paid). At one point she asked me to watch her to see if there was something in her backswing that she could improve. I watched her hit 4 balls and walked up to show her what I was seeing. He came from the other side of the dome and was about to tell me to leave before the father stepped in to explain what was happening.
                    Years ago, I used to enjoy going to the Dome for practice during the winter months. I actually split my time between here and Metro, depending on where I was when I decided to swing a bit. But Gerard has seen the last of this golfer or his friends/acquaintances. It's not my fault that he possibly bit off more than he can chew in his business dealings....he doesn't have to come off with such an attitude when dealing with his customers. After all, they are the ones who are keeping him in business.....for now.
                    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I'm no fan of the Markham dome, but where are the usual forum police who show up with sirens blazing when someone opens an account, **** posts a company, promotes another, and is gone - all in a matter of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSaxemachine View Post
                        I'm no fan of the Markham dome, but where are the usual forum police who show up with sirens blazing when someone opens an account, **** posts a company, promotes another, and is gone - all in a matter of minutes.
                        I noticed the same thing.

Also, I've never had a problem with the service at Markham and I'm usually pretty picky about customer service. The place is dingy, poorly lit, mats are badly worn, bays are crammed together and the balls are beat to hell. The outdoor range is even worse, tee blocks are way too close together and they are packed dirt with precious little grass to be found. I don't for the life of me understand why anyone would go there let alone vote it one of the best facilities in the city.
                        Last edited by Smittyman; Nov 26, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X