Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

City of Toronto Public Golf Courses under attack by Toronto Environmental Alliance

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't play Dentonia and not notice the apartment buildings everywhere. Is it needed on the course entrance sign? I don't know.

Sidenote: the apartment buildings depicted (Crescent Town) have the highest # of eviction notices filed in Ontario since the pandemic began.
    Last edited by newy; Feb 19, 2021, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

The main weakness in this "bold new plan" IMO is that you'd be converting a bunch of public space currently restricted to golfers only into a different public space restricted to golfers only. I don't see how it addresses the initial "problem".

As said before, I disagree with the premise that this is a problem in the first place.

We already have parts of public parkland that are restricted to specific segments of the population, such as tennis players, hockey players, diners, dog owners, etc., etc. It's really a non-issue, BUT it plays well to the non-golfing public and we have to be vigilant that we don't get overrun by that and lose all the courses.

As you said earlier, this is an unsolicited proposal. I don't think those carry much weight with government.

On a slightly different tack, I've done a ton of walking because of Covid with some of it on Don Valley GC. I wanted to give a shout-out to whoever commissioned the sign at the entrance, it's really quite well done. Some sort of laser-cut bright metal in front of a rusted metal background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.36.35 AM.png
Views:	255
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	3322588
      I drove by Don Valley today and the parking lot was packed.
      Are those all walkers? Can you snowshoe there? Is it cart path only?
      Stay thirsty...my friends.

Comment

It was full of cross country skiiers and tobogganers

https://twitter.com/shawnmicallef/st...32450156130306

Click image for larger version

Name:	EussryCWgAYGTdo?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	3324374
        TM AeroBurner 1 Driver 10.5 degree
        Callaway Razr Hawk 3W
        TM Rocketballz Stage 1 5W
        Nike Vapor Flex Hybrid 4H 23
        TM Rocketballz Stage 1 5I-PW
        Cobra Tour Trusty 52-8/56-8
        Performer High Loft 64
        Taylor Made Ghost 35" putter

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	EussryCWgAYGTdo?format=jpg&name=large.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.6 KB ID:	3324374
          Grandpa's Chair. 52 from there.
          Last edited by newy; Feb 20, 2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	EussryCWgAYGTdo?format=jpg&name=large.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.6 KB ID:	3324374
            That hill looks a lot bigger in the summer when you have to work your way up it.
            Last edited by Fore Warned; Feb 21, 2021, 07:39 AM.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

This is a tremendous article concerning the importance of protecting municipal golf courses.(with due credit to Hanna for the font and colour)

An alternative municipal golf model | The Star
              By
              Rick Young - President - Golf Journalists Association of Canada

Finally someone sticks up in a very public forum for municipal golf courses - everywhere. He goes through the threats and positive outcomes in some cases.

His conclusions.....

"I have nothing against baseball diamonds, soccer pitches, walking trails, public parks, arenas or other recreational offerings. I use those where I live. But all of them come with a cost to taxpayers and none have the potential to generate the kind of returns green fees, power cart rentals, corporate events, food and beverage services and merchandise can while being a significant platform for philanthropic causes.

More than ever municipal golf needs protection. It needs to be a priority and not an afterthought. Promoting it with accessible, affordable courses can make a difference to the game and its future."

This bodes well for the on-going debate we will be facing concerning municipal golf courses here in Toronto. If Rick Young and other golf journalists can get attention in major and national news media, we can be confident that the public focus of the discussion will not be restricted, as it has largely been, to the fervent naysayers.

It would be helpful if people on this group took some time to thank Rick for his article and voice support for his continued involvement in this matter..... ryoung@golden.net

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Follow up....

I sent Rick a note thanking him for his insightful article and noted the concern over the issue by TGN members. He responded right away and was greatly appreciative for the support. He expressed a hope that we may start to mobilize stakeholder advocacy and provide politicians with a needed user perspective on the issue.

I would urge you to use this opportunity to spread the word as best we can.

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
                This is a tremendous article concerning the importance of protecting municipal golf courses.(with due credit to Hanna for the font and colour)

An alternative municipal golf model | The Star
                By
                Rick Young - President - Golf Journalists Association of Canada

Finally someone sticks up in a very public forum for municipal golf courses - everywhere. He goes through the threats and positive outcomes in some cases.

His conclusions.....

"I have nothing against baseball diamonds, soccer pitches, walking trails, public parks, arenas or other recreational offerings. I use those where I live. But all of them come with a cost to taxpayers and none have the potential to generate the kind of returns green fees, power cart rentals, corporate events, food and beverage services and merchandise can while being a significant platform for philanthropic causes.

More than ever municipal golf needs protection. It needs to be a priority and not an afterthought. Promoting it with accessible, affordable courses can make a difference to the game and its future."

This bodes well for the on-going debate we will be facing concerning municipal golf courses here in Toronto. If Rick Young and other golf journalists can get attention in major and national news media, we can be confident that the public focus of the discussion will not be restricted, as it has largely been, to the fervent naysayers.

It would be helpful if people on this group took some time to thank Rick for his article and voice support for his continued involvement in this matter..... ryoung@golden.net

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                X