Collapse

Coming back to Golf

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming back to Golf

I started golfing in the late 90s when I was a young graduate working in an engineering firm drafting 60-70 hours a week, plus my boss smoking inside the unit where he works even more hours than me. Getting out to a golf course for 4 hours seeing green, distant and enjoying fresh air seems very legit for someone trapped in the office smoked by second hand smoke. That's how I started golfing. I have been getting out to the course as much as I could after work or before heading back to the office for overtime over the weekend. Took some lessons at the beginning with a guy named Mark referred by the local golf shop across from Markville Mall. Bought the first set of Spalding Irons, Titleist 975F 13.5 degree fairway wood at that shop to begin with, and complete the set with a Ping Sedona putter.

Switching several clubs in the bag. I was a solid 90s before taking the long break from playing golf in 2009 after some life changing events. Back then my driving and iron game were ok, screwed up 1-2 times per round hitting too fat in the center of fairway after a perfect drive was the only flaws in the long game. Short game was my weakest link, averaging 40 putts per round and 2-3 chips in a hole were the norm. 4-putted the 18th (9th of the Grist) for a round of 90 at the Grind/Grist of Mill Run on April 18th, 2004.

In the last 11 years, played only 2 full rounds of 18, once in 2011 with my friend visiting from overseas, the other in 2018 with my co-workers to farewell a fellow team member moving on. Finally playing more this year, 4 rounds since end of July. Swing is rusty, inconsistent contact, topping or hooking frequently with my driver and irons. However, my chipping improved as I watched some YouTube and practice at home a bit. I was able to chip a lot more closer to the holes, my putting average come down to 37-38.

Before the long break, I was a young golfer trying to work the equipment. But now, I am looking to have equipment help my game. For sure that first thing first is to fix my swing, which is the plan for this winter. Already found some good YouTube for drills of the basic fundamental, hope could sort my swing out by myself with today's technology. If not, will definitely go take some lesson in next Spring.

My equipment are all dated, especially the fairway wood (TaylorMade V-Steel 16.5 Steel Regular) and hybrids (Nickent 3DX 3 & 4 Steel Regular). I strongly believe that upgrading to graphite will help the long game. I hit my driver great back in the days and typically good in the last 4 rounds but it was just a little short, not sure if that's me or the setting of the driver did not maximise my full potential. I am seriously consider getting fitted for some new equipment, but not sure shall I do it now and hopefully to grab some end of season deals (any update will be a huge step forward than my 15+ years old) or wait until I brushed up my rusty swing...

Lastly, I just want express how much I love this game and how glad I am back!
    Last edited by ric314; Oct 8, 2020, 08:41 AM.
    Driver: TM R5 Dual Draw 10.5 M.A.S.2 5-55 R Flex
    4 Wood: TM V-Steel 16.5 Dynamic Gold Steel R Flex
    Hybrids: Nickent 3DX Genex 3 & 4 IW Steel Uniflex
    Irons: Ping S59 5-PW ZZ-65 Steel S Flex
    Wedge: Cleveland 588 53 GW (Bend to 52) / 56 SW / 60 LW
    Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider 33 inches

Welcome back to the game. Enjoy yourself.
    Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

You sound excited about being back,you found a great place to start

Comment

Enjoy the nuts.
        Canada
        Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
        Titleist TS2 16.5*
        Taylormade Rescue 22*
        4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
        52* Clevland RTX 4.0
        56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
        Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
        Cobra F6
        R7 15*
        Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
        Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
        Vokey 56* 60*
        Pyramid 34 “

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
          You sound excited about being back,you found a great place to start
          I am very excited! It has been so long!
          Driver: TM R5 Dual Draw 10.5 M.A.S.2 5-55 R Flex
          4 Wood: TM V-Steel 16.5 Dynamic Gold Steel R Flex
          Hybrids: Nickent 3DX Genex 3 & 4 IW Steel Uniflex
          Irons: Ping S59 5-PW ZZ-65 Steel S Flex
          Wedge: Cleveland 588 53 GW (Bend to 52) / 56 SW / 60 LW
          Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider 33 inches

Comment

Great to hear you re-discovered your passion for the game !
            I tell my son that golf is something one can enjoy for the rest of one's life, as I hope to do.

Cheers ~ Andy
            🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
            Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
            Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Welcome back and enjoy. I have had the luxury in the past 4 weeks of playing golf with my daughter again as she had an 8 year hiatus to care for her young family. Cheers to you. George.
              Old guy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X