Collapse

Is it just me?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff.
    That's why I love golf. You don't need the latest in greatest, or the most expensive equipment to enjoy or shoot a great score!

Originally posted by BadgerBruce View Post
    Two summers ago, my then 16-year-old teenage son expressed an interest in joining me on the course (this made my big papa heart swell) but he found the “extra clubs” in the garage didn’t really suit him — most have oversized grips because I’ve got some arthritis and can’t really use standard size, so obviously I understood where he was coming from.

Anyway, a week or so later I popped into the local Salvation Army store in St. Catharines and found a complete 3-PW set of forged MacGregor M565 V-Foil irons that were absolutely pristine. Rifle 5.5 stiff shafts. Damn good chance these puppies had NEVER been hit. Not a mark even on the 7 iron.

Price? $2.50 per stick — $20 for the set. And there was a Tiger Shark putter for $3.99, so for roughly $25 I had the kid well on his way.

And yes, my son absolutely loved them. He’s 18 now and I’m sure he’ll experiment a lot in the future, but as of right now he refuses to part with that $20 set of irons.

Having said this, thank God he found other sticks in the garage that he liked and all we had to pay for was regripping. This can be a ridiculously expensive game to get into if you’re a young man on a limited budget, and I agree wholeheartedly with the posters who point out the absurd prices some sellers put on used equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerBruce View Post
      Two summers ago, my then 16-year-old teenage son expressed an interest in joining me on the course (this made my big papa heart swell) but he found the “extra clubs” in the garage didn’t really suit him — most have oversized grips because I’ve got some arthritis and can’t really use standard size, so obviously I understood where he was coming from.

Anyway, a week or so later I popped into the local Salvation Army store in St. Catharines and found a complete 3-PW set of forged MacGregor M565 V-Foil irons that were absolutely pristine. Rifle 5.5 stiff shafts. Damn good chance these puppies had NEVER been hit. Not a mark even on the 7 iron.

Price? $2.50 per stick — $20 for the set. And there was a Tiger Shark putter for $3.99, so for roughly $25 I had the kid well on his way.

And yes, my son absolutely loved them. He’s 18 now and I’m sure he’ll experiment a lot in the future, but as of right now he refuses to part with that $20 set of irons.

Having said this, thank God he found other sticks in the garage that he liked and all we had to pay for was regripping. This can be a ridiculously expensive game to get into if you’re a young man on a limited budget, and I agree wholeheartedly with the posters who point out the absurd prices some sellers put on used equipment.
      Great story.
      I've been there going from my Grandfathers Wilson Staff blade irons to Wilson Staff OS then my first set of Pings!
      As the journey continued I became a bit of a club ho. Spent countless hours on the range trying to get daughters into the game but their interest was in picking up tees.
      Many golf camps later I accepted they didn't have the same love for the game and so I have embraced their passions.
      With today's prices probably financially best they didn't take the love for the game.
      Be safe and shoot low!
      Go Leafs! ( in 2022&#128546

Comment

Originally posted by pdl16 View Post

Great story.
        I've been there going from my Grandfathers Wilson Staff blade irons to Wilson Staff OS then my first set of Pings!
        As the journey continued I became a bit of a club ho. Spent countless hours on the range trying to get daughters into the game but their interest was in picking up tees.
        Many golf camps later I accepted they didn't have the same love for the game and so I have embraced their passions.
        With today's prices probably financially best they didn't take the love for the game.
        Be safe and shoot low!
        Go Leafs! ( in 2022&#128546
        I know where you’re coming from: my daughter wouldn’t even entertain the notion of picking up the game, though once she told me she’d go “for the pretty drive in the woods.” How’d she know her dad spends a lot of time in the lumberyard? Lol!

My son drives me nuts on the course. He’s tall and lean and flexible and athletic. Fearless with a wedge. Has no idea what the yips are and can’t imagine ever experiencing them. But for now, age and treachery can still conquer youth and strength, though God help me if he ever goes for a proper fitting and decides to actually try to get better. I hate the yewts!

Comment

I saw the opposite one day. Someone selling Titleist TP200 something or other from 2011 ( I looked it up) forged irons for $175 and I didn't act quick enough, got home from work later thinking I should have jumped on those and they were gone (ad still up but seller saying sold). Next day they were on Kijijji for $375 from the person who bought them. **** as a new golfer that would have been a great set for me.

So at least where I live (Oshawa area) there's some dude flipping the good deals. Good for him I guess.

Comment

Evergreen TGN topic.

Sometimes people price things high because we know all we're going to get are lowball offers.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X