X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheSaxemachine
    replied
    Evergreen TGN topic.

Sometimes people price things high because we know all we're going to get are lowball offers.

Leave a comment:

• SmoggyTwinkles
    replied
    I saw the opposite one day. Someone selling Titleist TP200 something or other from 2011 ( I looked it up) forged irons for $175 and I didn't act quick enough, got home from work later thinking I should have jumped on those and they were gone (ad still up but seller saying sold). Next day they were on Kijijji for $375 from the person who bought them. **** as a new golfer that would have been a great set for me.

So at least where I live (Oshawa area) there's some dude flipping the good deals. Good for him I guess.

Leave a comment:

• BadgerBruce
    replied
    Originally posted by pdl16 View Post

Great story.
    I've been there going from my Grandfathers Wilson Staff blade irons to Wilson Staff OS then my first set of Pings!
    As the journey continued I became a bit of a club ho. Spent countless hours on the range trying to get daughters into the game but their interest was in picking up tees.
    Many golf camps later I accepted they didn't have the same love for the game and so I have embraced their passions.
    With today's prices probably financially best they didn't take the love for the game.
    Be safe and shoot low!
    Go Leafs! ( in 2022&#128546
    I know where you’re coming from: my daughter wouldn’t even entertain the notion of picking up the game, though once she told me she’d go “for the pretty drive in the woods.” How’d she know her dad spends a lot of time in the lumberyard? Lol!

My son drives me nuts on the course. He’s tall and lean and flexible and athletic. Fearless with a wedge. Has no idea what the yips are and can’t imagine ever experiencing them. But for now, age and treachery can still conquer youth and strength, though God help me if he ever goes for a proper fitting and decides to actually try to get better. I hate the yewts!

Leave a comment:

• pdl16
    replied
    Originally posted by BadgerBruce View Post
    Two summers ago, my then 16-year-old teenage son expressed an interest in joining me on the course (this made my big papa heart swell) but he found the “extra clubs” in the garage didn’t really suit him — most have oversized grips because I’ve got some arthritis and can’t really use standard size, so obviously I understood where he was coming from.

Anyway, a week or so later I popped into the local Salvation Army store in St. Catharines and found a complete 3-PW set of forged MacGregor M565 V-Foil irons that were absolutely pristine. Rifle 5.5 stiff shafts. Damn good chance these puppies had NEVER been hit. Not a mark even on the 7 iron.

Price? $2.50 per stick — $20 for the set. And there was a Tiger Shark putter for $3.99, so for roughly $25 I had the kid well on his way.

And yes, my son absolutely loved them. He’s 18 now and I’m sure he’ll experiment a lot in the future, but as of right now he refuses to part with that $20 set of irons.

Having said this, thank God he found other sticks in the garage that he liked and all we had to pay for was regripping. This can be a ridiculously expensive game to get into if you’re a young man on a limited budget, and I agree wholeheartedly with the posters who point out the absurd prices some sellers put on used equipment.
    Great story.
    I've been there going from my Grandfathers Wilson Staff blade irons to Wilson Staff OS then my first set of Pings!
    As the journey continued I became a bit of a club ho. Spent countless hours on the range trying to get daughters into the game but their interest was in picking up tees.
    Many golf camps later I accepted they didn't have the same love for the game and so I have embraced their passions.
    With today's prices probably financially best they didn't take the love for the game.
    Be safe and shoot low!
    Go Leafs! ( in 2022&#128546

Leave a comment:

• sunshiNee
    replied
    Good stuff.
    That's why I love golf. You don't need the latest in greatest, or the most expensive equipment to enjoy or shoot a great score!

Originally posted by BadgerBruce View Post
    Two summers ago, my then 16-year-old teenage son expressed an interest in joining me on the course (this made my big papa heart swell) but he found the “extra clubs” in the garage didn’t really suit him — most have oversized grips because I’ve got some arthritis and can’t really use standard size, so obviously I understood where he was coming from.

Anyway, a week or so later I popped into the local Salvation Army store in St. Catharines and found a complete 3-PW set of forged MacGregor M565 V-Foil irons that were absolutely pristine. Rifle 5.5 stiff shafts. Damn good chance these puppies had NEVER been hit. Not a mark even on the 7 iron.

Price? $2.50 per stick — $20 for the set. And there was a Tiger Shark putter for $3.99, so for roughly $25 I had the kid well on his way.

And yes, my son absolutely loved them. He’s 18 now and I’m sure he’ll experiment a lot in the future, but as of right now he refuses to part with that $20 set of irons.

Having said this, thank God he found other sticks in the garage that he liked and all we had to pay for was regripping. This can be a ridiculously expensive game to get into if you’re a young man on a limited budget, and I agree wholeheartedly with the posters who point out the absurd prices some sellers put on used equipment.

Leave a comment:

• BadgerBruce
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nomullies
    replied
    Originally posted by bl8d View Post
    Pre-Covid I searched through and regularly bought from Global, Avenue and ebay, but those venues are laughably priced now.. I'm primarily a retro- player and vintage-collector. I've now confined my searches to secondhand shops like Goodwill, Sally Ann, Value Village whose vintage prices are realistic and where, if you know your stuff, the occasional gem can be found. I walked out with a near mint 8802 Wilson a week ago for $3.50 plus tax.

these youtubers have started a trend.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRfjuWY0rsY
    That flea market was insane. I'd buy them all. Re the second hand shops, I picked up an old ping putter and ping k15 hybrid for $7 each. Sold both for $50 each. Sweet. Then picked up six Adams Tight Lies - mostly original - for $95. I'll fiddle with them until my bag is set. But I do regret selling some stuff at pre-covid prices. E.g., M2 iron set for the $275 I paid. Scotty putter I picked up for $75 at a Play it Again for $175. The buyer said he would have paid more. Now the Play it Agains, and a buddy's pawn shop, have nothing for stock.

Leave a comment:

• pmo09
    replied
    I for one love the posts where sellers are looking for exorbitant prices for used clubs and don't even bother to post pictures. They then proceed to bump the post 20 times and can't seem to understand why their clubs aren't selling.

Leave a comment:

• pdl16
    replied
    Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post
    It’s irrelevant what you think. People will have to pay more when the headcover and tool is included vs not included.
    True. Is added value.
    Have had to buy headcover and tool and after the purchase was more headache than neccessary .

Leave a comment:

• RutgersKev
    replied
    Originally posted by trav158 View Post
    I personally don't think a head cover and wrench add value to a sale, it came with the club.
    It’s irrelevant what you think. People will have to pay more when the headcover and tool is included vs not included.

Leave a comment:

• letsfly
    replied
    I agree with the original post, people list for more ridiculous prices on this forum than anywhere else I look for second-hand clubs. Kijiji is much better for finding reasonably prices clubs than here

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Jass View Post

I came across a ping rep at hidden lake last year and tried out a few irons and fell in love with i500s. Had to have them
    Dude - I’ve hit them at golf town many times - in the power spec lofts - I’m sure they will make their way into my bag at some point 🤙

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Jass
    replied
    Originally posted by Bosco View Post
    I want the i500’s but can’t justify their price point. Currently going back and fourth between S58’s and eye2+ depending on how I’m hitting the ball
    I came across a ping rep at hidden lake last year and tried out a few irons and fell in love with i500s. Had to have them

Leave a comment:

• trav158
    replied
    Originally posted by pdl16 View Post

Agreed. Bought Taylormade SIM driver headcover and wrench combo with intention of putting together Sim Max D type driver head with Fujikura Pro shaft.
    I lol'd at that one!

No problem.
    You should also consider shaft upgrades(could add $100+), headcover (~$20), and tool (~$10) inclusion when looking at a driver.
    I personally don't think a head cover and wrench add value to a sale, it came with the club.

and I think most sellers and buyers here understand the value of an upgraded shaft, so its not suprising when the price is more when there is a premium shaft in there

Leave a comment:

• pdl16
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Jass View Post

Not sure what "butts" means, but the i500s are swet in both play and looks, very happy.

Paid $1,050 all in, works out roughly half retail, for 4-PW on global golf, mint condition, take the s59s $350 off that for a net $700, happy bunny here.
    Meant to type butter.
    When saw Hugh Jass was thinking of wifey behind and typed butt. My bad.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X