No announcement yet.
Collapse

Toronto's Lost Golf Courses

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"More on topic, how many long gone courses have people played. In the GTA? I played Willowdale, Glen Shields, Woodlands, Hunters Glen (previously Huntington, fabulous 10th hole), Kleinburg, Grand Highland par 3. Another from Mississauga but the name escapes me."

+++
    +++

Played Uplands when it was 18 holes; Aurora Highlands on Yonge St.; Buttonville/Markham; the original Richmond Hill Golf Club; Hunter's Glen; Pleasure Park; Unionville Fairways.

There was an executive course around Bathurst or Dufferin... north of centre? I can't recall what it was called. Played it in the early 1980s. (edit: Royal Downs).

Oh... and the Don Mills Golf Centre on Woodbine... Can't forget that one.

Also... there was a driving range on Yonge Street across the road from Hillcrest Mall. I had a lesson there with a pro named Bob Barr...

There was another range/mini putt on Jane or Keele... near Highway 7. No idea what it was even called.

Good memories. Wish they were all still here.
    Last edited by DRGolfcoach; Sep 13, 2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

There was also a driving range on the NW corner of Woodbine/16th Ave. if I remember correctly. I think Knudson had some involvement at one point. I do remember taking a few lessons from the pro...his name was Pete Dye (really!).

Comment

^^^^ George Knudson did have his golf school at Buttonville (Woodbine and 16th). You remember correctly.

Comment

I remember playing High School matches at Brookside in Scarborough.

Now I am one of the old guys…. Not even 40
          yet lol

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Off topic but I tried to get my son to use Abebooks when in uni. International versions of texts but identical otherwise. Fraction of the price. I also suggested he buy a bunch and sell to make a few bucks. But he wasn't entrepreneurial. Anyone having kids in post-secondary should have a look.

More on topic, how many long gone courses have people played. In the GTA? I played Willowdale, Glen Shields, Woodlands, Hunters Glen (previously Huntington, fabulous 10th hole), Kleinburg, Grand Highland par 3. Another from Mississauga but the name escapes me.
            Glen Hawthorne? West side of Hurontario, north of Eglinton.

Comment

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

Glen Hawthorne? West side of Hurontario, north of Eglinton.
              Yes! The Hawthorne part sounds familiar. It was a decent track. It was a long time ago. When I drive by the area now it looks still undeveloped. Similar to the course up on highway 27, Vaughan Valley. Was co-owned by the Watson family and Eddie Shack. Played it many times before it was sold. Then left for years before it was developed. Killed me seeing that.
              Last edited by nomullies; Oct 2, 2022, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Curious, so google turned this up for Hawthorne:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawthorne+Valley+Golf+Club.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	3595003

Long before I took up golf, but there is a little history of Hawthorn Valley Golf and Country club below. Apparently early 1960s to 1984 or so.

https://www.modernmississauga.com/ma...orne-boulevard

_______
                NQRfPT

Comment

Originally posted by DRGolfcoach View Post
                  There was another range/mini putt on Jane or Keele... near Highway 7. No idea what it was even called.
                  Pleasure Park? I made my first birdie there. I'll never forget the massive mounds of dirt when you'd drive in.

Edit: I see now you already meantioned PP. There was indeed a driving range/miniputt down the road too.
                  Last edited by tsilaiger; Oct 3, 2022, 01:42 PM.
                  Titleist 915 D2
                  Nike Covert 2 hybrid
                  Ping G30 4-U
                  Vokey 60degree
                  $5 YES putter

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelR View Post
                    Curious, so google turned this up for Hawthorne:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawthorne+Valley+Golf+Club.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	3595003

Long before I took up golf, but there is a little history of Hawthorn Valley Golf and Country club below. Apparently early 1960s to 1984 or so.

https://www.modernmississauga.com/ma...orne-boulevard

Great find. I played there as a kid when I grew up in Toronto. I moved to Mississauga in 1988. But didn't play much when my own kids were young.

Comment

Anyone remember Derrydale (Derry Road and not sure of the crossroad.) There was also Richview that is long gone to development. Though not in the GTA, I am mortified that Grand Niagara only has 1 year to go. IMHO... best public course in Niagara.

Comment

Derrydale is still there Derry Rd. Hurontario. Only 12 holes. There was Richview and across the road SawWhet

Comment

The course on hwy. 10 north of Eglington (then Base Line) was called Hawthorne Glen. It was run by a family by the name of the Grice's. The whole family worked there. I was the junior club champion for a year in I think 73 (long ago). They had the best milkshakes. Cool place when I was 12-14. It was next to Andy Bathgate's driving range. Used to ride my bike along with my step brother from Applewood Hills up that huge hill on Baseline where Chinese farms were east of Hwy. 10.
                          There was another place called Lido Golf which had a range and I believe 9 holes on South service Rd. east of Hwy. 25.

Comment

Originally posted by STEADY FREDDY View Post
                            The course on hwy. 10 north of Eglington (then Base Line) was called Hawthorne Glen. It was run by a family by the name of the Grice's. The whole family worked there. I was the junior club champion for a year in I think 73 (long ago). They had the best milkshakes. Cool place when I was 12-14. It was next to Andy Bathgate's driving range. Used to ride my bike along with my step brother from Applewood Hills up that huge hill on Baseline where Chinese farms were east of Hwy. 10.
                            There was another place called Lido Golf which had a range and I believe 9 holes on South service Rd. east of Hwy. 25.
                            I grew up in Toronto but Hawthorne was one of the first courses I ever played as a kid.

Another was a 9 hole course I'd like to say was in Uxbridge. I don't remember the name but two things come to mind. Paying a buck a hole and having a par 3 over a forest to hit the green. Yes there was a bell. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Comment

I played Woodlands and Hunters Glen about 3x/week and still moan about their loss and that of the 9 holes and Dome on #50
                              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                                I played Woodlands and Hunters Glen about 3x/week and still moan about their loss and that of the 9 holes and Dome on #50
                                I used to play them too. Woodlands had a goofy part where a couple of holes seem to intersect. Hunter's Glen was super pleasant. The 10th was about as tough and pretty par 3 as I've ever played.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X