X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Stretching Before Golf

Should kids stretch before they play?
    (serious question)
    My 8 year old doesn't really stretch, should she? She's super flexible like many 8 year olds.
    Killer21
    M2 Oban Devotion 6S
    Adams XTD 3, 5 wood Matrix Red Tie 7S
    Adams Pro 20* Hybrid Aldila Tour Red R
    Adams Pro DHY 24* Hybrid Aldila Tour Blue R
    Adams XTD Irons KBS C-Taper Lite R
    Titeleist SM4 Vokey 54*
    Titleist SM5 5Vokey 58* W DG Spinner
    Macgregor Bobby Grace 6.4 K Putter
    Bridgestone RXS

Nothing wrong with it. Helps loosen you up. Any warm up will do really.
    TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
    TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
    TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
    Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
    Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
    100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
      Nothing wrong with it. Helps loosen you up. Any warm up will do really.
      If she's already really flexible what's the point of loosening them up? More importantly a warm up and stretching are two different things. The scientific evidence for stretching is pretty contradictory. If you're looking for injury prevention then there is even less evidence to show a decreased risk in injuries with pre-game stretching and I'm talking about all sports not just golf. Now, what the evidence does show for stretching is that they can potentially improve performance because it's increasing an individual's range of motion of a given joint.

So again, if she's super flexible, is stretching her hamstrings or her back or her arms really improving anything? Maybe? Is she going to hit the ball further? Potentially, yes. Research basically shows that if you're looking to decrease the risk of injury, a gradual warm up is the proven way to go. In golf this can be swinging the club in a slow manner and increasing tempo. On the range this can be hitting pitch shots to 3/4 shots to full wedges and then moving up in the bag. To go back on my point about stretching improving performance. In a sedentary individual who's in their mid 30's and up, stretching can work out the kinks adding to a longer back swing, or better arm positions (maintaining a straight lead elbow).

To answer the OP's question, sure you can teach some basic stuff but you'd have to really think what you're trying to get out of it. Don't just show some arbitrary stuff because it's what you do at the range as well. Today, most coaches for junior golfers focus on building speed now when they are young, technique and form in the swing can be taught later....I don't fully agree with that, but what do i know

Comment

Originally posted by spinaltap View Post
        Today, most coaches for junior golfers focus on building speed now when they are young, technique and form in the swing can be taught later....I don't fully agree with that, but what do i know
        I'm not a coach but told other parents for years to develop speed (distance) first, and control (accuracy) later, so Junior has increased probability to shoot lower scores a few years later. If they swing slow and in control, they rarely develop mph swingspeed to shorten the course.

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
          I'm not a coach but told other parents for years to develop speed (distance) first, and control (accuracy) later, so Junior has increased probability to shoot lower scores a few years later. If they swing slow and in control, they rarely develop mph swingspeed to shorten the course.
          I can see both sides of the coin to the argument. Build speed to increase muscle tone and strength and then work on the finer parts later on. But then again we learn to walk before we learn to run so wouldn't you want a good base of technique and build speed up from there? We can debate the finer points for hours I'm sure

As I noted above I was trying to figure out why the OP wants his 8 year old to stretch. Was it just the dogmatic belief that stretching is good? Or are we trying to accomplish something? I've seen enough hyper-mobile kid/teen athletes and in the end I'm spending more time with them stabilizing things then stretching

Comment

Nothing to do with speed or technique. Yes, it's more that the belief stretching is good and can prevent injuries. I guess it would be better to focus more on a good warm up before taking full swings. Hitting short shots and pitches to warm up. She is plenty flexible, actually has a very long swing ala John Daly/Brook Henderson we are working to shorten as it leads to some inconsistent contact.
            Killer21
            M2 Oban Devotion 6S
            Adams XTD 3, 5 wood Matrix Red Tie 7S
            Adams Pro 20* Hybrid Aldila Tour Red R
            Adams Pro DHY 24* Hybrid Aldila Tour Blue R
            Adams XTD Irons KBS C-Taper Lite R
            Titeleist SM4 Vokey 54*
            Titleist SM5 5Vokey 58* W DG Spinner
            Macgregor Bobby Grace 6.4 K Putter
            Bridgestone RXS

Comment

We make it game or else my son would not be interested. See who can touch toes etc.

We then do the two penny drill on the range for a bit.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X