Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What age should junior girls start keeping a GAO handicap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age should junior girls start keeping a GAO handicap?

I have a young daughter golfing (CJGA/US Kids) and would like her to work towards GAO Junior Events and
    Championships as soon as she can as I think they may be good exposure.
    My guess would be as soon as she can play the red tees and card scores from them. Anyone have experience with GAO Junior events?
    Killer21
    M2 Oban Devotion 6S
    Adams XTD 3, 5 wood Matrix Red Tie 7S
    Adams Pro 20* Hybrid Aldila Tour Red R
    Adams Pro DHY 24* Hybrid Aldila Tour Blue R
    Adams XTD Irons KBS C-Taper Lite R
    Titeleist SM4 Vokey 54*
    Titleist SM5 5Vokey 58* W DG Spinner
    Macgregor Bobby Grace 6.4 K Putter
    Bridgestone RXS

Originally posted by Killer21 View Post
    I have a young daughter golfing (CJGA/US Kids) and would like her to work towards GAO Junior Events and
    Championships as soon as she can as I think they may be good exposure.
    My guess would be as soon as she can play the red tees and card scores from them. Anyone have experience with GAO Junior events?
    Yes. As soon as she can play those tees and start scoring 18 hole rounds, I would think it is worthwhile to maintain a handicap. There are handicap cut-offs for some events and you will need an official handicap to play them.

My daughter went throught the CJGA/GAO/Golf Canada tournament tour routine. It was great being able to spend so much time with her during her teenage years before she went away for school and work!
    In the bag:
    -------------
    Driver: TM R15 14* - Stock S
    4W: TM RBZ 17* - Stock S
    3H: Nike Slingshot 20* - Stock S
    4H: Ping G15 23* - UST iRod S
    5i~UW: Ping G25 - CFS R

SW: Cleveland RTX 54* - DG Wedge
    LW: Cleveland RTX 58* - DG Wedge

Putter: Oydssey Sabertooth

Comment

Originally posted by avidgolfer View Post

Yes. As soon as she can play those tees and start scoring 18 hole rounds, I would think it is worthwhile to maintain a handicap. There are handicap cut-offs for some events and you will need an official handicap to play them.

My daughter went throught the CJGA/GAO/Golf Canada tournament tour routine. It was great being able to spend so much time with her during her teenage years before she went away for school and work!
      Yes, that is what I was hoping to get her into the GAO events at some point and they have handicap cut offs even for the Junior U13 events. GAO Handicap of 34ish as a minimum. It is a great sport to enjoy with your daughter and family!
      Killer21
      M2 Oban Devotion 6S
      Adams XTD 3, 5 wood Matrix Red Tie 7S
      Adams Pro 20* Hybrid Aldila Tour Red R
      Adams Pro DHY 24* Hybrid Aldila Tour Blue R
      Adams XTD Irons KBS C-Taper Lite R
      Titeleist SM4 Vokey 54*
      Titleist SM5 5Vokey 58* W DG Spinner
      Macgregor Bobby Grace 6.4 K Putter
      Bridgestone RXS

Comment

Originally posted by Killer21 View Post

Yes, that is what I was hoping to get her into the GAO events at some point and they have handicap cut offs even for the Junior U13 events. GAO Handicap of 34ish as a minimum. It is a great sport to enjoy with your daughter and family!
        If you check on the GAO Website and look at the qualifiers for the age groups and related links there should be more information. Having been a Registrar, Score verifier, timer and Starter you will also have to show proof of age at registration, usually a birth certificate is sufficient. You would not be surprised at how many kids and parents miss this important bit so be prepared.

Comment

when they decide themselves that they want to start to play in competitive events
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            when they decide themselves that they want to start to play in competitive events
            Bingo. I've had a dream of her playing since she was born. I put zero pressure on her. She is progressing now to playing a par 3 course last year (she's 10)

Goal was always for her to take up the game, develop a proper swing and just enjoy it for life. The competition is secondary but feel it will be a natural progression as she starts to play a full par 72 course. Once she is playing regularly full courses, I'll push a little further. I definitely don't want to derail a good thing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              I like this answer. Keeping a handicap will also help track her progress, even if she doesn't play any events for awhile. I remember as a kid having a 40 handicap (that was the highest allowed at the time), and working hard to bring it down.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 170,030   Posts: 1,777,729   Members: 46,476   Active Members: 288
              Welcome to our newest member, jaxon.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
              X