Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the earliest age anyone here has attempted to introduce their child to the game? I have a 9 month old daughter and I am eager to put a club in her hands. I obviously know this is far too early yet, but am thinking once she turns 1 it can be fun to slowly introduce some infant clubs, etc.

I have a 6 year old and 15 month old. I bought the older one a set of plastic clubs when she was around 2 so she could smack them around the back yard. She was about 4 when I got her a 7-iron and putter from US Kids and we would go to the driving range on occasion. She would hit about 20 - 30 balls before getting bored; then we would go to the miniature golf course that they have on the driving range property.

Once she turned 5 I started taking her to a pitch and putt course at the local muni. The course is 9 holes, all between 50 and 70 yards, and is rarely busy, so it’s a good spot for kids. She has a bag now with fairway wood, iron, and putter that she uses. She’s pretty good about enjoying the hour or so that it takes. I’ll probably do the same with the younger one unless she shows interest earlier.

The main piece of advice I would give is don’t try to force it. I always ask if she wants to come with me and if she gets bored or tired, we go home. I always try to make it fun for her and enjoy the time we get to spend together.

Comment

Gave my granddaughter a set of plastic clubs at 2, by 2.5 gave her a real set of clubs and she enjoyed the putting green and made it about 5 or 6 holes on a 9 hole par three course. Hopefully this summer at 3 she might play some more but we are also putting her in tennis lessons this summer as well

Comment

Grandaugher got her first club (plastic) at 4 years old,hard to hold there attention for long at that age.

Comment

I'd like to re-iterate what TheBaconator said. Don't force it. Our daughter at about age 9 or 10 was given a new set of clubs by a family member for Christmas one year, without even asking if she was interested in the game at all. These were returned to the local store and money used for either a guitar or One Direction tickets (one of the two - LOL). Maybe it was assumed because Dad (me) is, then they would too, because she was a hockey player like Dad? It's the same for anything.....if they are interested, you will know. Sports are great for kids (team sports more, IMO), but they have to want to learn and figure out what interests them.

Comment

My son is currently 9 and he started coming with me to the driving range when he was about 5, but before that he had some plastic clubs and putted and hit balls in the basement. I just let him have fun and don't really try to fix too much in swing (which is actually pretty good already), I just give him tips when he has a question. A round of mini putt is always mandatory after a visit to the driving range.

He did his first 9 holes in a family best ball tournament when he was 7, did again last summer (won closest to the rope) and he also played his first 18 holes on a par 3 course with his grand parents last Thanksgiving (and he beat his grandfather!!). I don't pressure him to come out with me, just usually ask him if he wants to come. I've asked him if he wants to do some lessons, but doesn't seem to interested yet as just wants to play with me.

My goal is to just let him find the fun/enjoyment in the game and not push to much. Looking forward to playing some more with him this summer and hopefully I will have a lifetime golfing partner!

Comment

Awesome answers. Ya I definitely do not plan on forcing it on her. I am hoping to approach it slowly for fun and in turn hope she grows a love for the game.

Comment

Gave my Nephew a cut down iron last summer, he was 2.5 and really enjoyed hitting it in my back yard, liked to tee it up and set new distance records.. I marked his furthest hits. My brother wasn't impressed cause he's hoping for a little fishing buddy lol This yr I'm gonna have a cut down driver for him
                In the bag:
                -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
                -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
                -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
                -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
                -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

My son started with the plastic clubs at 2,5 years old. I got him some kids clubs at a garage sale (Taylormade! I didn't know they once had a kids line) and started on the backyard when he was 3.5. He's never been patient and alwasy wanted to do something else after 5 minutes. After taking him to the range a few times he got better, but still wasn't much into it.
                  Last summer, at 6 years old, he spent a week at a golf summer camp and it was night and day! He learned how to do a nice and smooth swing and wants to play all the time. I took him out 3 or 4 times last season and it was great!
                  Now to start all over with the 2nd one

Comment

I bought a set of plastic clubs for my daughter (who turns 3 next month) when she was 1 year old. I kept the clubs right next to mine in the basement (where i chip and putt) and she grabbed the club and started hitting the plastic balls. She seemed to like what she was doing but after 5 minutes, it was back to other toys. I also found out she is dominant lefty as she tried to hit the ball backwards.

When she turned 2, i bought her a US Kids 7 iron. She still loves going down in the basement and smacking golf balls. However, she started hitting the ball hard enough where i had to hide the real balls and just keep the plastic balls out. She loves hitting balls for 5-10 minutes at a time and then on to something else.

My goal is to not force golf on her and let her explore every sport and then let her make the choice. Running joke in my house is the way she is going, she will out-hit my wife in 3 years

Comment

We Chose the path of letting the kids find and choose what sports and activities what they wanted to participate in. We would give them exposure to try it whether that be a gymnastics , soccer camp or a backyard rink or trip to the school ball diamond . For golf, we did take them to a range and played mini putt and they sat in carts and hit the odd shot or putt on a family vacation , liked it but neither ever wanted or asked to continue with it. One gravitated to competitive gymnastics , soccer and hockey, eventually choosing hockey as her one sport, the other to mountain biking, karate and swimming. He continues with all three but with swimming being his main sport. Interesting because outside of hockey when i was a kid , rec soccer for the wife and mountain biking that we all do, neither parent participated seriously in the other sports they chose. Friends seem to be the biggest enablers I find. Hardly know any if my friends kids who took up golf.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I really think golf isn't something kids will gravitate to for whatever reason (same as bowling?). It's not a team game - it's honestly quite boring to watch. There really is other options, especially for Canadian kids. This is especially true with role models - more Canadian kids growing up want to be Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, than want to be whoever, from whatever sport. As a kid, I wanted to play hockey - tried baseball for a couple years, and still to this day play hockey (I just turned 45). My wife was never much of an athlete, but was into swimming and dance growing up. I took up golf because my Dad golfed (also coached me in hockey). Our kid grew up wanting to play hockey on her own (no influence other than maybe watching me play in my leagues). Gave the options, but was hockey, power skating, etc. Later we told "I wanted to do gymnastics/dance".... but when offered, didn't want it. Yet....my sister and her husband both enjoy and play hockey, but their boy is into karate and bowling.

Weirfan Same here....I don't know of any of my friends whose kids are into golf.

Comment

I got my niece a plastic set from Golftown, they are $20. She loves them! She can really smack that plastic ball. I can't wait to take her outside when it gets warm.

Comment

My son is 2 and half, and I gave him a set of plastic clubs ($10) about a year ago. He likes to whack a little foam golf ball around in the basement, and if I am practicing putting or chipping in our basement (carpet), he always wants to do it with me. He will also go in the backyard and hit plastic golf balls around.

I haven't forced him into golf, he saw my clubs at a young age and wanted his own club because he wanted to play too. I'm hopeful it will last until he's older so that we can play together, but I won't push him if he doesn't enjoy the game.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X