Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walking with Kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking with Kids

So I have started taking my 8 yr old and my 5 yr old out on the full course.
    Both times we have taken power carts, my buddy takes one of the kids, me the other.
    Usually we let them tee off, then they ride to the green.

The problem is getting to be the cost, the kids golf free, but we are paying for 2 power carts.
    So I'm considering walking with them.

I could take them on the 9 hole all par 3's near me, but i have a feeling that even that will be too much walking.

I know you can get pull carts with seats, so I was thinking maybe it'd be possible for them to sit and be pushed or pulled so the walking is a bit less.

Anyone have any ideas?

The children seem a little young to walk that many holes,maybe a par 3 course to try how far they can walk.

Comment

The 8-year-old is certainly old enough to drive the cart with the younger one as co-pilot. You and your friend can take turns being chauffuered by them, cutting the cost of a cart and giving each of the adults a bit more exercise.

Comment

I'd like to see the look on the Starter's face with an 8 year old at the wheel signing the insurance waiver...
        Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
        Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
        Nike 23 degree hybrid
        Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
        Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
        Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

I do it regularly and have never had a problem. Most reasonable starters get a kick out of it.

Comment

I regularly take my 7 year old out to a Par 3 course and walk. I may have to carry her clubs for a few holes, but in general, she enjoys it.

Comment

Anyone driving a cart under 16 negates the insurance, yes?

I think kids should walk the course, but then again, at those ages wouldn't they get bored with that?
              Greg

Comment

I usually take my son to a 12 hole course, which I find ideal in terms of walking. When it is too hot/humid, I get a cart. He just turned 7 and is now able to safely drive the cart, as opposed to last year, where I only let him take the wheel sitting on my lap. My "coolest" moment was driving him to where he hit his ball and walking away saying: "Hit your ball, take the cart and meet me at my ball"

After I told him I would sell his Legos to pay for any damage he caused to the cart, he drives it better than a lot of people I normally see on the course!

A few weeks ago my wife and I took both kids, 7 and 3 1/2, with one cart. I walked with my push cart and the little one walked alongside me after the 3rd hole up to the final hole! His highlights were a 25 yards drive and playing with a turtle that was crossing one fairway.

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                  I usually take my son to a 12 hole course, which I find ideal in terms of walking. When it is too hot/humid, I get a cart. He just turned 7 and is now able to safely drive the cart, as opposed to last year, where I only let him take the wheel sitting on my lap. My "coolest" moment was driving him to where he hit his ball and walking away saying: "Hit your ball, take the cart and meet me at my ball"

After I told him I would sell his Legos to pay for any damage he caused to the cart, he drives it better than a lot of people I normally see on the course!

A few weeks ago my wife and I took both kids, 7 and 3 1/2, with one cart. I walked with my push cart and the little one walked alongside me after the 3rd hole up to the final hole! His highlights were a 25 yards drive and playing with a turtle that was crossing one fairway.
                  love this, can't wait to take my boys out.

Comment

Any 5 year old can walk 5 miles in 4 hours. If he cannot, then he needs to get more exercise.

Comment

Doon valley has a 5$ for 5 holes after 7, so my 6 year old and I walk 5 holes with his bag hanging off the clicgear, next year we do 9
                      MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                        Any 5 year old can walk 5 miles in 4 hours. If he cannot, then he needs to get more exercise.
                        I kind of agree to this...although my sons are now 19 and 22, it was nothing for them to walk a course like Highlands at Mill Run at a young age, and then progress to Whispering Ridge, and then ultimately to a full regulation course.

If you think what Rep sports like soccer and hockey demand, walking 3000yds should be a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                          I agree kids should be able to walk 2.5 or 3 miles in 2 houres!

I have a 7, 8 & 10 year old, since my 10 year old was 4 he has been walking 9 holes, that goes for the rest of my children. They sometimes play 9 holes or less. I take turn with each child each time I go out with them. but my 8 & 10 can now play 9 holes no problem. I use to put their bag on to my push cart with my bag, but have been trying to get them to carry now.

The best part is we play in the later afternoon or early evening, they are beat and go to bed ASAP when it is time!

Comment

Played Oakville Executive. My five year old would hit run to the ball and hit again. He did this straight for 9 holes. They have the energy and he slept well that night. Win/Win walking in my book

Comment

Get them push carts. The Rovic is made for juniors.

Comment

Advanced Search

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 161,703   Posts: 1,696,598   Members: 45,422   Active Members: 280
                              Welcome to our newest member, sharx1710.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X