Collapse

Ping Prodi G Set vs. U.S. Kids?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping Prodi G Set vs. U.S. Kids?

Have a neighbour who's kids are really getting into golf and they want to take it to the next level over their little half sets. They currently play US Kids and like them but are intrigued by the Ping offering. They don't have the money to get fully custom fit at TXG like I suggested they do as the kids are still at that stage where they could drop something just as easily as they pick it up, but they seem to really like golf.

Does anyone have any experience with this set for a family member/friend? It sees like a really good composition of the G/G400 model clubs shrunk down for juniors. Titanium driver, fully milled putter.

The U.S. Kids Tour product seems interesting too where you can order them all per piece, and they are comfortable with the head shape and that but the quality just doesn't seem as good as the Ping when I saw them in store.

Any recommendations?

Review of Ping Prodi G Junior Golf Club Set by Golfalot with help from our expert junior golfer as we try the clubs and show how to get two sets from one fro...

Join our new community on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolfhttp://txg.ca – Learn more about US Kids Golf and how clubfitting works for kid...

My son used two US Kids sets when he was younger, starting at 9 years of age and what I liked about this particular manufacturer is you can order single clubs which is what I did for his second set (we added a driver, hybrid and SW). The cost for each single club didn't break the bank which is an added bonus.

The next set he used was TM's Phenom set and although I looked at the Prodi G I can't recall why we went w TM. Price maybe?

IMHO I felt the quality of TM and Ping's products were better than USK and that's why we went w the Phenom when he was older and enjoying the sport more. Last year we had him fitted for M6 irons. That gives you an idea of how his golf sets have changed over the years as he grew and got into the sport more.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by WWarrior View Post
      My son used two US Kids sets when he was younger, starting at 9 years of age and what I liked about this particular manufacturer is you can order single clubs which is what I did for his second set (we added a driver, hybrid and SW). The cost for each single club didn't break the bank which is an added bonus.

The next set he used was TM's Phenom set and although I looked at the Prodi G I can't recall why we went w TM. Price maybe?

IMHO I felt the quality of TM and Ping's products were better than USK and that's why we went w the Phenom when he was older and enjoying the sport more. Last year we had him fitted for M6 irons. That gives you an idea of how his golf sets have changed over the years as he grew and got into the sport more.

Hope this helps.
      Thanks, it does. I like the idea that the U.S. Kids you can add whatever you want at pretty much anytime as the lines don't change too much. Ping has the added benefit of adding that now too and it seems like you get 1 free shaft upgrade to stiffer and heavier with purchase, which is a nice idea.

Thanks for all of the help, I will pass along the info and see what he says. It'll be a couple of years until their kids are old enough to warrant anything "good" as the skills aren't there yet but I'll be sure to put the bug in his ear that once they are teens and if they still enjoy it and take it seriously, it's worth the upgrade to "real" equipment.

Comment

I'm on the same boat with my kids. My older one is 8 and has been playing "garage sale" sets and I am also looking for a better option for him.

Have a look at Flynn golf. They build clubs specifically for kids and their website has a "clearance" section with some deals from time to time. Last time I looked either they didn't ship to Canada or it was too expensive, so it would be an option to take advantage of a cross-border trip and order it.

Comment

Not sure if they still do, but Cobra sold a junior driver that included one free shaft upgrade as the child grew.

When my son was younger, he didn't exactly take care of his clubs and inevitably there were a ton of sky marks on the top of the drivers, FW and hybrids, but that's part of learning the game. I'd say it wasn't until last year that he started to take better care of his clubs. I'm glad I didn't break the bank on the early sets. Save the money for lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by WWarrior View Post
            Not sure if they still do, but Cobra sold a junior driver that included one free shaft upgrade as the child grew.

When my son was younger, he didn't exactly take care of his clubs and inevitably there were a ton of sky marks on the top of the drivers, FW and hybrids, but that's part of learning the game. I'd say it wasn't until last year that he started to take better care of his clubs. I'm glad I didn't break the bank on the early sets. Save the money for lessons.
            Hey sorry for the delay on this I haven't had much time to check. Yeah, I did see that and think it's a great idea. I mentioned it to my neighbour but he wasn't willing to go up to the "good" stuff yet. He's holding off until late spring to see how tall they get and is going to assess from there.

Comment

I recently had this exact conversation with a Golf Pro that specializes in Jr Golf. Although he sells both USK and Ping, he prefers the USK because their weights (swingweight and overall weight) are more appropriate for typical juniors and allows them to develop a more natural swing. I got the impression that the Ping stuff would be better for older, more advanced players.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X