/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Golf for teenagers

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf for teenagers

We have had our child in golf lessons around Toronto and we’re looking for advice from others who send their kids to lessons. Thank you.

What type of advice are you looking for?

Comment

When my son started playing i would modified the pars on each hole as recommended by article i found in a golf magazine. For example at 9 yrs old its unrealistic to set par as a goal. Hence i adjusted every hole on the course par 5 was a 10 4 was an 8 etc. Once those pars we met it was reduced and eventually shooting par and under was normal. There was no discouraging scores as a result, in addition when we played we would play a scramble using the worst ball which reduce that fear of being behind trees, flying over trees, being in bunkers. We even played extended holes for example #1 tee off and play till #3 green for fun. Also played backwards if it was late an night. was lots of fun. Still is and the matches are great except the loss of cash!!
      And don't forget about proper equipment.
      " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
      Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
      Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
      Ping i20
      MacGregor response
      Snickers tour bag
      Pro V1

Comment

Why are people so afraid to let their kids fail, no wonder kids growing up can’t handle anything. When I grew up in sports there was a winner and a loser... now there is just winners with somebody getting a slightly bigger trophy

just let the kid play as much as he wants to, if he catches the bug you won’t have to do anything. Best thing you can do is get some quality instruction and Get him a jr membership somewhere

Comment

You may not be interested in this but I'm looking at where my son can caddy for a summer. The GTA has limited options (Oakdale and a few others) but in my travels I have played several clubs that have caddies and have programs for kids to come and stay and work the summer. When I was young, caddying was an avenue to becoming a good player. Downtime on the job became range time. So I'm looking at sending mine to caddy at a nice club sometime. He's keen to the idea provided it's a city/country he's interested in. He's learning Spanish so I put some time into looking at the clubs in Spain that have caddying programs he might be able to apply. So it becomes a summer adventure, applies his language learning and should also help develop his game.

Comment

Hamilton also has an excellent junior caddy program, but I'm not sure how old they want. When I was there, they all seemed to be 15 and younger.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,233   Posts: 1,863,860   Members: 47,798   Active Members: 335
            Welcome to our newest member, EricT.
            Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
            X