Ball Hawking

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laps View Post
    Re: Ball Hawking

What's the big deal if someone looks for balls, as long as they don't slow down play.

I was playing with a friend the other day when it was raining. We went looking for my ball which was lost - we found it and a dozen others in the forrest. half were proV1. There was no one else on the course, so no harm done.

I would never do that when its busy or in an area where the ball could be coming from another hole. However, because I find good balls in the quiet times, i can afford to not look more than 30 seconds if my ball is lost when its busy.

It can become expensive when you are starting out, a found ball is like finding a looney or a tooney - and in some cases a five dollar bill!
    In Scotland they say. "Never pick up a lost ball until it has stopped rolling".
    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

We have some dedicated ball hawkers in out 5 foursome group of players each Wednesday. They deliberately coast along the edges and can't resist going by a bush or marsh area without peeking about. Any time someone puts a ball into a hazard, it is an excuse for a deep dive.

A ball in the water invites the ball retriever to come out. Once that stick is out, it's a fishing derby with no catch limit.

To be fair, they always come back with egg cartons of freebies for the group, but one has to wonder what the point of their game is. I don't partake - it just condones the practice.

I once waited for a few of them to be be the group behind mine and spread some marshmallows in plain site along the fringes of their favorite hunting grounds. From a distance they look so tantalizing. The hawkers were in a rush to beat each other to these prizes.

I has marked on the marshmallows "PRO V1 Soft".

I could see then staring my way when they realized these were not real golf balls.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
        We have some dedicated ball hawkers in out 5 foursome group of players each Wednesday. They deliberately coast along the edges and can't resist going by a bush or marsh area without peeking about. Any time someone puts a ball into a hazard, it is an excuse for a deep dive.

A ball in the water invites the ball retriever to come out. Once that stick is out, it's a fishing derby with no catch limit.

To be fair, they always come back with egg cartons of freebies for the group, but one has to wonder what the point of their game is. I don't partake - it just condones the practice.

I once waited for a few of them to be be the group behind mine and spread some marshmallows in plain site along the fringes of their favorite hunting grounds. From a distance they look so tantalizing. The hawkers were in a rush to beat each other to these prizes.

I could see then staring my way when they realized these were not real golf balls.

Gotta love it. Good trick. LOL
        Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Well played. Really.

Comment

I love that turn of phrase!

Comment

How does a comment from 14 years ago get revived? Maybe the intial comment was posted from a distant galaxy and just arrived here.

Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post

Ben Crane was the other player, brutally slow.
              This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                  How does a comment from 14 years ago get revived? Maybe the intial comment was posted from a distant galaxy and just arrived here.

Michael, that was thanks to Howie....he's from a galaxy far, far away!!
                  U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

If uve been watching Loki- I’m saying alternate universes 😀

Comment

There are so many old members where I play that seem more interested in hawking golf balls vs. playing.

I also get p*ssed off seeing golfers who park their cars in the HC spots and walk and push their Clicgears for 18 holes.

Comment

Lionel, thanks for making me smile.

Originally posted by goshawk View Post

Michael, that was thanks to Howie....he's from a galaxy far, far away!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X