Hurray a slow play penalty on the PGA

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurray a slow play penalty on the PGA

First in 22 years.....

Get the latest golf, now. Follow along as we publish live pga news coverage of your favorite tour player and their performance each week.

I guess Ben Crane is a speedster......

Watch this guy. And, no, that is not a freeze-frame of him at address.

Watch all the latest Golf clips, highlights, shows, replays, and more on NBC Sports.

Comment

This should do this every day
      Maybe we the public would have some sub 4 hour rounds

Comment

25 seconds over the ball is excessive for sure. But JB Holmes a while ago taking four minutes after getting to his ball was way worse.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
          25 seconds over the ball is excessive for sure. But JB Holmes a while ago taking four minutes after getting to his ball was way worse.
          Fair enough.

However, apparently this was not an isolated occurrence. He has been doing this a lot lately in multiple rounds. Further, it's been reported that he had 'slow play' issues as far back as his freshman year in college.

For him to be within the time-clock guidelines is one thing. However, everyone around him is expected to remain stationary and quiet when he's over the ball. The video shows him absolutely still for approximately 22 seconds, which is ridiculous.

I agree with the Golf Channel commentator who said that this is bad for the game. Too many 'wannabe' amateurs will adopt this practice on the basis of "well, he's a pro and he does it, so if I do it then I will play like a pro", which is complete BS.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
            I was thinking the same thing. JB then laid up as well which just topped it off. 25 seconds is way to long but he is within his given time limit.

I guess the question is whats worse..? Making everyone stand perfectly still and quiet for 25 seconds or being the guy that takes 2 minutes looking around, talking with your caddie before addressing the ball. I'll take the 25 second guy. He just looks like a douche. Just like the guy taking 6-7 waggles at the ball then duffing it into the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Fair enough.

However, apparently this was not an isolated occurrence. He has been doing this a lot lately in multiple rounds. Further, it's been reported that he had 'slow play' issues as far back as his freshman year in college.

For him to be within the time-clock guidelines is one thing. However, everyone around him is expected to remain stationary and quiet when he's over the ball. The video shows him absolutely still for approximately 22 seconds, which is ridiculous.

I agree with the Golf Channel commentator who said that this is bad for the game. Too many 'wannabe' amateurs will adopt this practice on the basis of "well, he's a pro and he does it, so if I do it then I will play like a pro", which is complete BS.
              22 secs is only part of it. How long does he take to prepare once it is his turn to play?
              Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
              - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Slow play for sure is not good for golf in general...and seeing slow Pro Players on TV is not good either for obvious reasons.

However, there will always be the rare or odd time when you see those incidents as described in the previous posts...they are not common...and they do not do this on a regular basis...and really we should not give these incidents more air time than necessary.

I would think the guy standing over the ball for 25 seconds is trying to rectify the situation...similar to Sergio getting rid of his numerous waggle routine which caused him (and others and us) a lot of grief years ago.

I am sure no one who golfs wants to have a relatively long preshot routine, or standstill freeze over the ball, or the yips...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tywl View Post
                  However, there will always be the rare or odd time when you see those incidents as described in the previous posts...they are not common...and they do not do this on a regular basis...and really we should not give these incidents more air time than necessary.
                  As I said, this was not an isolated incident. This guy has developed a reputation for it, as can be seen on other videos (which must have been taken during multiple rounds because he's wearing different shirts).

IMO, we should give this some attention, if for no other reason than to show how bad things have become on Tour.

Comment

Originally posted by MK7GTI View Post

I was thinking the same thing. JB then laid up as well which just topped it off. 25 seconds is way to long but he is within his given time limit.

I guess the question is whats worse..? Making everyone stand perfectly still and quiet for 25 seconds or being the guy that takes 2 minutes looking around, talking with your caddie before addressing the ball. I'll take the 25 second guy. He just looks like a douche. Just like the guy taking 6-7 waggles at the ball then duffing it into the trees.
                    I want to add to what aaagc said above. The time spent over the ball is only a portion of the time recommended/permitted for a stroke (the 2019 Rules recommend 40 seconds). The recommended/permitted time begins when the player can safely play without distraction and includes such things as determining distance, wind direction, putting on a glove, selecting a club. It ends when the ball is struck. If you stand over the ball for 25 seconds, that leaves 15 seconds for all those other things.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

If you stand over the ball for 25 seconds, that leaves 15 seconds for all those other things.
                      I have known him since he was 8. He has always been a very quick player until this ugly type of "yips" has invaded this season. He is still quick other than the long freeze. Whoever said he did this in university is wrong. I followed him for three rounds at the 2017 Canadian Open and he never froze once. He knows this can't continue and will work on it with leading sports psychologists when he gets home to Florida in a few weeks. Right now there is a lot at stake re rankings. His fellow competitors have a lot of empathy for him as they all know how difficult it is when the "nasties" invade the space between the ears. I trust he will get this resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Galted View Post
                        Whoever said he did this in university is wrong.
                        His college coach said he had issues with slow play, as quoted to Tim Rosaforte.

Watch all the latest Golf clips, highlights, shows, replays, and more on NBC Sports.

Comment

His college coach said he had issues with slow play, as quoted to Tim Rosaforte.

Not sure if Rosaforte was talking about the same thing - i.e. freezing over the ball vs. being slow overall. It sounds like the freezing is a new thing.

Pretty sweet last shot in that clip. He'll save time around the greens with that....
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/sa...k-college-golf
                            That was a telephone interview I overheard and the coach never said that. Rosaforte missed the "never" in a cell conversation. Guess it made a better story. I hereby dub him the Sarah Huckabee of golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Galted View Post

That was a telephone interview I overheard and the coach never said that. Rosaforte missed the "never" in a cell conversation. Guess it made a better story. I hereby dub him the Sarah Huckabee of golf.
                              Rosaforte said that the coach "concurred" that there 'was an issue' during one of Horsfield's college years. Your characterization of Rosaforte's reporting simply doesn't make sense.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X