Retrieving your ball from the hole

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Retrieving your ball from the hole

Originally posted by Golftool
    I cannot stand jerks who use their putter to get their ball out of the cup - can't you bend down and pick it up! I have played behind groups who use their putter to scoop the ball out of the hole and they end up @#%#@ the rim of the cup!

What the hell is the matter with these people? Dont they know there are other people behind them that would like a nice smooth round cup to sink their birdie putts into?

There in nothing worse than coming to the green and seeing a beat-up cup!

I have been tempted many times to bury my putter in some jerks forehead for doing this!!!

If you see someone beating the crap out of the cup - tell a marshall! I have had a group thrown off for abusing the greens like this - if you see someone doing this - stop them! There are many people coming behind you that paid good money to enjoy their round and the course and shouldn't have to put up with this type of crap! Thats my 2c.
    Amen! Absolutely agree.
    Golf, Squash... More Golf... Then Squash again... Life is good...

Comment

Originally posted by Flogger
      You're kidding, right?
      Sort of. I don't want to threadjack here because I agree with Golftool about taking the ball out of the cup with a putter, but I disagree with the notion that anyone with a high media profile is somehow charged with the additional responsiblity of setting a good example for children.

PARENTS have a responsibility to set a good example for their children. People who work with children (teachers, day care workers, scout leaders, priests) have a responsibility to set a good example to children. Professional athletes and entertainers have no more responsiblity in this regard than anyone else. If your children are getting so much of their values and ethics from what they see on television, you have other issues.
      Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.

Comment

I don't really have a problem with what Tiger did on Sunday. So what if he drops an F-bomb. He's human, he's got to be allowed to show some emotion out there. You've got to put these things in perspective. I'm a fan of many sports, and if all golf fans have to worry about is a putter slam, or a sly bird flipping, or someone putting and teeing off out of turn, then golf is doing pretty well.

If Tiger really did damage the green though, yes he should be fined.

Anyway back to the OP. I bet these guys are the same people that park directly on the curb in front of the store they want to shop at for 30 minutes, instead of parking in the spot that's 10 freakin feet away. I hate lazy people.

Comment

Originally posted by el tigre
          Sort of. I don't want to threadjack here because I agree with Golftool about taking the ball out of the cup with a putter, but I disagree with the notion that anyone with a high media profile is somehow charged with the additional responsiblity of setting a good example for children.

PARENTS have a responsibility to set a good example for their children. People who work with children (teachers, day care workers, scout leaders, priests) have a responsibility to set a good example to children. Professional athletes and entertainers have no more responsiblity in this regard than anyone else. If your children are getting so much of their values and ethics from what they see on television, you have other issues.
          I agree that parents have the responsibility to set a good example for our children, but I also think that anybody who is making the kind of money that professional atheletes do should take into account that children will look up to them. After all, they make millions of dollars a year on things like endorsements, which are all about image.

I do agree that if your children are getting all of their values and ethics from televison, you do have other issues, but children are going to be watching sporting events, I think it's reasonable to expect that these things be acceptable to a family audience.

Do I have a problem with what Tiger did? Not really, but I do think he does have a responsibility because of the fact that he is so popular that children will look up to him. Of course, the right way to handle that is for a parent, who was watching with their children to explain that Tiger was very upset with himself, and that it's not acceptable to use that kind of language.
          When I play golf, I always hit the ball really good, but then it always goes someplace really bad.

Comment

It's up to all of us that know, to educate our fellow golfers. Often these offenders don't know that they've done anything wrong, as they've seen someone else do it, without any repercussions. What I've done, is speak to the person, privately, after the hole is completed, in a calm and diplomatic manner. I'm not out to embarass them;
            I want them to learn, so that they'll pass on their knowledge to others.
            We all need to be teachers... and be respectful , while doing so.

Comment

i think we should write a book on Rules and Etiquette and i know a director at penquin books .=/ lol

Comment

Originally posted by tjhayko
                I agree that parents have the responsibility to set a good example for our children, but I also think that anybody who is making the kind of money that professional atheletes do should take into account that children will look up to them. After all, they make millions of dollars a year on things like endorsements, which are all about image.

I do agree that if your children are getting all of their values and ethics from televison, you do have other issues, but children are going to be watching sporting events, I think it's reasonable to expect that these things be acceptable to a family audience.

Do I have a problem with what Tiger did? Not really, but I do think he does have a responsibility because of the fact that he is so popular that children will look up to him. Of course, the right way to handle that is for a parent, who was watching with their children to explain that Tiger was very upset with himself, and that it's not acceptable to use that kind of language.
                I'm sure a lot of us have lost our temper before, it's a bit unreasonable to expect "celebrity" athletes to be able to control their emotions to that extent. I'm sure Tiger wouldn't want his F bombs influencing any kids but he's also human. I tend to cuss after every shot on a drivinig range sometimes (under my breath) but still, I can't help it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ems
                  I'm sure a lot of us have lost our temper before, it's a bit unreasonable to expect "celebrity" athletes to be able to control their emotions to that extent. I'm sure Tiger wouldn't want his F bombs influencing any kids but he's also human. I tend to cuss after every shot on a drivinig range sometimes (under my breath) but still, I can't help it!
                  I'm really responding to the idea that celebrity athletes aren't responsible to act as a role model for kids. I think they are. They make millions of dollars from being part of our society, and I don't think it's unreasonable for everyone to expect that they hold themselves to a higher standard of behaviour in public.
                  When I play golf, I always hit the ball really good, but then it always goes someplace really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by el tigre

No question, I agree parents have the ultimate responsibilty. Especially to moderate and help interpret what our kids are exposed to everyday via various media sources.

However, have you ever heard of the Tiger Woods foundation?

check it out http://www.twfound.org/home/default....lid=1&atpval=0

We're not talking about your average gifted athelete here. He's made a commitment to help children around the world and with that comes a huge responsibilty. He is a massive role model and children look up to him.
                    Golf Completes Me

Comment

don't you guys remember the quote from Spiderman??
                      "With great power comes great responsibility"
                      IMHO, Tiger Woods has a lot of influence in society. I see so many people mimic his actions on the course. These people are not kids either, they're adults with a mind of their own. At least I hope so.

Comment

As far as Tiger's F bomb goes, It could very easily have been "dumped" by the network. All television broadcasts in Canada as well as the U.S. MUST be on a delay system. that system enables the broadcaster to see and hear everything before it goes out on the airwaves / cable etc. According to both the FCC and the CRTC, the responsibility for what is broadcast lies solely with the broadcaster, and I would tend to agree. Just my two cents.

Comment

I also hate it when people drag their feet and scrape the greens. There's nothing more annoying than having to putt after someone's shoe scrapes.
                          "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
                          Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
                          Winston Churchill

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X