Damaged ball

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged ball

hey everyone,

i had a damaged ball on my last round and wanted to share what the proper procedures were with you in case it happens to you.

SITUATION: Player notices his ball has a big crack and wants to know if he can change it.

SOLUTION:A player has the option of substituting his ball if it's unfit for play. A ball that's out of shape, cracked, or cut is unfit for play. A ball is not unfit it it's scraped, scratched, or discolored.

PROCEDURE: (procedure is the same in stroke and match play) Step 1, announce intent that you want to inspect to determine if it's unfit for play. Step 2, mark the ball and lift it. Step 3, examine the ball (without cleaning it), and give the fellow competitor, marker, or opponent the opportunity to also inspect it. Step 4, if it's determined that the ball is unfit, it may be substituted by placing another ball on the spot of the original ball.

PENALTY:If the above procedure is not followed, the player receives a 1-stroke penalty. An example of a loss of hole or 2-stroke penalty would apply if a player claims his ball is unfit, while his opponent in match play or fellow competitor in stroke play do not agree. The player substitutes his ball anyway only to have the committee decide the ball was not unfit. The player was penalized for substituting a ball when not permitted.
    Jaydog

I don't really care about golf ball damage until the game at Tangle Creek. After a big driver, the shell of the titliest golf ball had a 2 cm crack. The ball is still playable but lost distance. Now I know why there were " half " golf balls found in the course once in awhile. I thought animals did that before.

-sm

Comment

i only noticed it when the ball landed on the green and had a funny roll. tried putting it for fun after i replaced it and it was pretty bad.

btw, i believe that's what is referred to as a smile on your ball.
      Jaydog

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
      X