Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud Music is Fine, Wearing a Shirt is Optional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
    Funny... Justin, Jordan, Smylie, Rickie etc go on a trip to bakers bay, drinking, playing music, with only board shorts on while golfing and all of them said it was probably one of the best times they have had on a vacation. So much so they did it again and plan on doing it again. Times are changing and if you want this sport to survive we need to find new ways of making it more attractive. If that means music and relaxed clothing then so be it. Or keep the same old the way it is and watch people avoid golf and take up other sports.
    Its 4 plus hours. As long as people are being reasonable, respectful and responsible do as you please and have fun.
    I was thinking of those guys and when I initially read the OP. Quiet , out of the way resort course on vacation so wearing just shorts and barefeet and drinking there is different than at a city club.

I tend to agree that if we want to attract people to the game that it needs to find ways to loosen up and make it more fun. I don't see 4 guys wearing earbuds to listen to music as being fun but they still need to be respectful and mindful of others at the same time.

I' guessing that most of those not in favor of music on the course are the over 50 crowd......not all ( I'm over 50 and ok with it)
    Last edited by Weirfan; Jul 25, 2017, 09:20 AM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Funny... Justin, Jordan, Smylie, Rickie etc go on a trip to bakers bay, drinking, playing music, with only board shorts on while golfing and all of them said it was probably one of the best times they have had on a vacation. So much so they did it again and plan on doing it again. Times are changing and if you want this sport to survive we need to find new ways of making it more attractive. If that means music and relaxed clothing then so be it. Or keep the same old the way it is and watch people avoid golf and take up other sports.
      Its 4 plus hours. As long as people are being reasonable, respectful and responsible do as you please and have fun.
      It's also worth pointing out that they were at an exclusive resort and likely had the golf course to themselves. It's hard to pull off what they did on a public course where you have other people to consider. Given the antics that they were up to, they likely also had five hour rounds.

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
      Personally I don't like music on the course, however if a group is playing music it should be played at a volume that can be heard only by those in the group, and not across fairways etc. We (ok I) don't want to hear yelling and screaming on the course, unless it's a spontaneous cheer fro a great shot, so why would I want to hear your music? As for shirts, most golfers I see should definitely remained covered up.
      I am in tolerant of music on the course but find it very inconsiderate of groups to blast it so that those two fairways over can hear. I can only imagine if you had two groups next to each other playing different music - that could be headache inducing.
      In the bag:
      R15 12 PXV 6.0
      SLDR 15 ATX Blue S
      Adams Pro 18 ATX, Idea Pro A12 20 NV S
      Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
      Vokey SM5 54, 58
      Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

not really a fan of music on the course, but if you keep it quiet and out of earshot, then it's fine by me - though I think that is where the problem will arise - people that don't keep it low.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

If I had enough cash to own a course, it would definitely be shirt and shoes optional
          TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
          TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
          TM Speedblade 3 iron Accra proto
          TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
          Callaway X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
          Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
          100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post

It's also worth pointing out that they were at an exclusive resort and likely had the golf course to themselves. It's hard to pull off what they did on a public course where you have other people to consider. Given the antics that they were up to, they likely also had five hour rounds.

I am in tolerant of music on the course but find it very inconsiderate of groups to blast it so that those two fairways over can hear. I can only imagine if you had two groups next to each other playing different music - that could be headache inducing.
            my point is not where they were or how much money they have so they can do it.... its wow that looks like fun. Why the F would I bother spending 4 plus hours at a club with members who think they are pros and stick their noses up at every little thing possible. Now I dont think we need to go in board shorts, getting hammered and listening to music at concert volume levels... but why not have a more relaxed code, and be ok with with music? as I stated before as long as people are being reasonable, respectful and responsible do as you please and have fun.
            I dont mean to offend anyone, but I dont know any one who wants to get into a sport that is known to take forever, promotes a posh attitude, costs a small fortune and is pretty damn hard to play. But here we are sticking to the same old ways and hoping for a change. Its not coming.... so the industry as a whole better change and quickly if it wants to weather the storm.
            Driver - Taylormade M1 Kuro Kage stiff 10.5
            5 wood - X hot stiff
            3 Hybrid - R15 stiff
            Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
            Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
            Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona

Comment

my point is not where they were or how much money they have so they can do it.... its wow that looks like fun. Why the F would I bother spending 4 plus hours at a club with members who think they are pros and stick their noses up at every little thing possible. Now I dont think we need to go in board shorts, getting hammered and listening to music at concert volume levels... but why not have a more relaxed code, and be ok with with music? as I stated before as long as people are being reasonable, respectful and responsible do as you please and have fun.
              I dont mean to offend anyone, but I dont know any one who wants to get into a sport that is known to take forever, promotes a posh attitude, costs a small fortune and is pretty damn hard to play. But here we are sticking to the same old ways and hoping for a change. Its not coming.... so the industry as a whole better change and quickly if it wants to weather the storm.
              It certainly looked like fun. As soon as I have millions in the bank, I'll do that on an annual basis. I don't care about music on the course so long as I can't hear it. Some days, I like to be out there escaping the noise of the city. Everyone is different and it's rude to impose your noise on others when out on the golf course. That's my view on music - fine for you, but you don't need to share it with everyone else. Other downside - it's pretty hard to hear someone yelling "fore!" when the beats are pumping. As to dress codes, I think showing up in non-standard golf attire makes you look sloppy. If you don't care about that, ok.

I hate using cliches, but I think this is an example of "different strokes for different folks." Some clubs and courses, more likely private or high end, probably have customers who don't want to deal with silliness on the course, loud noise out of those newfangled gadgets, and people dressed like they're at one of those druggie parties.You can guess, based on the language, the age and type that would frequent those clubs. As mentioned, I think that the relaxed approach may also stretch out round times if on-course silliness is welcomed.

For every person, there's a line where they no longer tolerate behaviour or want to be at the golf course. For some it's seeing t-shirts and jeans in the clubhouse; for others, it's having their peaceful morning or afternoon round disrupted by loud music coming from two fairways over; still, for some, it's groups doing lines of cocaine off of the golf cart between shots. Every club and course has to define that line based on their current and target membership / clientele.

I think in the Caribbean at most resorts it should be relaxed because most people are there on a vacation beach vacation. It fits that environment. So, why haven't we seen a major shift in courses here welcoming relaxed dress codes and encouraging blasting music? I think it's because courses are worried about alienating their current clientele. Essentially, the business is so fragile that they don't want to risk losing the customers that they have by attempting to attract a different set. Maybe a course could try casual Saturday afternoons - wear what you want, play music, have fun. I'm not sure what they'd do with pace of play, but if they can figure out a way to manage it and keep the beverage service going, great. I'd say this would be a good idea for a course with a beach or lakefront nearby - party at Rocky Crest anyone?
              In the bag:
              R15 12 PXV 6.0
              SLDR 15 ATX Blue S
              Vokey SM5 54, 58
              Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

I think "music" on the course is certainly more of a "millennial" thing, but I'm good either way.....
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post

It certainly looked like fun. As soon as I have millions in the bank, I'll do that on an annual basis. I don't care about music on the course so long as I can't hear it. Some days, I like to be out there escaping the noise of the city. Everyone is different and it's rude to impose your noise on others when out on the golf course. That's my view on music - fine for you, but you don't need to share it with everyone else. Other downside - it's pretty hard to hear someone yelling "fore!" when the beats are pumping. As to dress codes, I think showing up in non-standard golf attire makes you look sloppy. If you don't care about that, ok.

I hate using cliches, but I think this is an example of "different strokes for different folks." Some clubs and courses, more likely private or high end, probably have customers who don't want to deal with silliness on the course, loud noise out of those newfangled gadgets, and people dressed like they're at one of those druggie parties.You can guess, based on the language, the age and type that would frequent those clubs. As mentioned, I think that the relaxed approach may also stretch out round times if on-course silliness is welcomed.

For every person, there's a line where they no longer tolerate behaviour or want to be at the golf course. For some it's seeing t-shirts and jeans in the clubhouse; for others, it's having their peaceful morning or afternoon round disrupted by loud music coming from two fairways over; still, for some, it's groups doing lines of cocaine off of the golf cart between shots. Every club and course has to define that line based on their current and target membership / clientele.

I think in the Caribbean at most resorts it should be relaxed because most people are there on a vacation beach vacation. It fits that environment. So, why haven't we seen a major shift in courses here welcoming relaxed dress codes and encouraging blasting music? I think it's because courses are worried about alienating their current clientele. Essentially, the business is so fragile that they don't want to risk losing the customers that they have by attempting to attract a different set. Maybe a course could try casual Saturday afternoons - wear what you want, play music, have fun. I'm not sure what they'd do with pace of play, but if they can figure out a way to manage it and keep the beverage service going, great. I'd say this would be a good idea for a course with a beach or lakefront nearby - party at Rocky Crest anyone?
                  exactly why I said "as long as people are being reasonable, respectful and responsible do as you please and have fun." You clearly went to the complete other end of the spectrum. I dont even know what "dressed like they're at one of the druggie parties" looks like lol nore have I ever seen someone doing lines off of a golf cart between shots. Again... keeping it reasonable, respectful and responsible. I'm saying relax on certain rules, not drug use, and getting plastered on the course.
                  I've been to a few caribbean course and no way in hell the ones I went to would let you do the bakers bay boys weekend stuff. I do however like your idea on trial days. I still think music should be capped. I like the idea of rental speakers that are capped at a certain volume. Although to be honest... I could care less about constant noises on the golf course... hell this year my worry is those damn red winged black birds attacking me.
                  Driver - Taylormade M1 Kuro Kage stiff 10.5
                  5 wood - X hot stiff
                  3 Hybrid - R15 stiff
                  Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
                  Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
                  Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona

Comment

Always play music when we all know each other. Just keep it within the fairway.

Up in Sudsbury we were playing a tournament and one cart had 4 sets of clubs on/in it and the other cart had a loud stereo and a full sized keg attached to the back.
                    Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

exactly why I said "as long as people are being reasonable, respectful and responsible do as you please and have fun." You clearly went to the complete other end of the spectrum. I dont even know what "dressed like they're at one of the druggie parties" looks like lol nore have I ever seen someone doing lines off of a golf cart between shots. Again... keeping it reasonable, respectful and responsible. I'm saying relax on certain rules, not drug use, and getting plastered on the course.
                      I've been to a few caribbean course and no way in hell the ones I went to would let you do the bakers bay boys weekend stuff. I do however like your idea on trial days. I still think music should be capped. I like the idea of rental speakers that are capped at a certain volume. Although to be honest... I could care less about constant noises on the golf course... hell this year my worry is those damn red winged black birds attacking me.
                      Actually, I added in the cocaine bit because this weekend a group that was part of a tournament on the other 9 at a course I was playing was apparently doing lines of cocaine on the golf carts while buying more drinks off the beverage cart. Clearly, people have different interpretations of "reasonable, respectful, and responsible."

So, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. The real question is where should courses draw the line. Fewer restrictions in the dress code and allowing quiet music sounds ok, but will that really change anything? When it comes to rules, saying that they should be "relaxed" is a fairly useless statement. What exactly should change?

One thing that a dress code helps do is ensure that there's a certain minimum quality of golfer on the course. If the rules include requirements for a collared shirt, tailored pants or shorts, and golf shoes, then you know that the course won't be full of people who are completely uninterested and new to the game because they've bought or at least borrowed the necessary attire. None of that represents a substantial investment but it does represent an investment in the game. You'd need a similar investment if you're going to participate in other sports - soccer, basketball, tennis, etc.
                      In the bag:
                      R15 12 PXV 6.0
                      SLDR 15 ATX Blue S
                      Vokey SM5 54, 58
                      Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
                        Always play music when we all know each other. Just keep it within the fairway.

Up in Sudsbury we were playing a tournament and one cart had 4 sets of clubs on/in it and the other cart had a loud stereo and a full sized keg attached to the back.
                        That's a great way for the club to lose its liquor license.

If it's a full course closure tournament, then the music blasting is okay if it's part of the event.
                        In the bag:
                        R15 12 PXV 6.0
                        SLDR 15 ATX Blue S
                        Vokey SM5 54, 58
                        Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Lots of people seem to be fine with music that can only be heard by their group. I'm fine with that too. If I can't hear it, then it's not going to bother me in the least. The situation I described in the OP is when the music can be heard from adjacent holes.

This was only the second time I've experienced this over a span of 15 years. On both occasions, I thought about asking the music players to turn it down, but decided it wasn't worth the effort. Shirtless beer drinkers probably aren't the most receptive to anything that might be construed as criticism. I have asked loud talkers on adjacent holes to keep it down a few times and they always obliged. It wouldn't surprise me if they muttered something about me under their breath though.

One memorable occasion was a round at Indian Wells when a tournament was going on. One guy was injured and couldn't play, so he picked up a megaphone and used it to trash talk participants as they played the 18th hole. He could be heard on the entire course. I complained to the marshal, but they did nothing. When I finished the round, some of the participants were sitting out on the patio. I asked who the guy with the megaphone was, which drew great laughter as they pointed him out. I think my next words were, "You realize there are other people on the course, right?" The laughter was replaced with serious faces and the guy actually apologized. Kudos to him for that, I wasn't really expecting it.

Comment

If you must play music, keep the volume down so that it absolutely cannot be heard from more than 30 feet from the cart. PERIOD.
                            If someone does not agree with that compromise, then ban the music altogether and leave the music in the nightclubs.

As for dress code, beachwear will never be appropriate.
                            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Golftime View Post
                              There should be no music unless you are wearing headphones.
                              +10000000000000000

Listen and enjoy, don't subject the rest of us

Comment

I visited my brother out west last week and on the first tee he turns on the music and pulls out a bag of sunflower seeds. My father - an old school pro who is not much for cursing - looks at him and says "what are you on a f***ing day pass?".

I was at Osprey one time and hit my ball over the green, When I got close to the next tee box I hear NWA's Straight Outta Compton coming out of one of the carts. While it seemed a bit outta place, I thought it was funny.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 174,138   Posts: 1,822,408   Members: 47,197   Active Members: 177
                                Welcome to our newest member, ShuckerPaddy.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X