Collapse

Loud Music is Fine, Wearing a Shirt is Optional

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Music is Fine, Wearing a Shirt is Optional

Played yesterday at Glen Eagle with some kind of tournament taking place. Lots of wild roars as putts dropped, like the Ryder Cup. On two occasions, encountered participants playing loud music through speakers on their golf carts. It was hip-hop, featuring some colourful language. One music loving group also felt no need to wear shirts. Perhaps golf is more enjoyable if you play bare chested.

What do you think about music on the golf course? Yea or nay?

I won't ask about shirts; if McDonald's requires them, I think we can agree that golf courses should too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2ns2sld.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2660208

no issues with the roars. I've been in tournaments or competitions where our group gets excited after a hole out or a long putt. Think that is healthy, and assume it's a one off and not all day.

I've also played with music a handful of times, but this has been during trips to Florida with my buddies on empty courses. Either way it wasn't loud but just enough for us to enjoy a relaxing fun round. this is not a normal thing and I don't think it should be.

Proper attire should be worn. shirts are a must, as are pants or shorts!

Comment

Music is fine by me , in most cases I think it should be at a level that is only audible a few feet from your golf cart. I suppose that in a fun and casual charity event where the course is all part of the tourney the loudness can be higher. We do a boys weekend in Collingwood every year, have 4 groups and there is music playing, sometimes gets a bit loud with singing accompaniment as the drinks flow.....but it's just our groups that are subject to it....the guys are respectful and turn it down when there are others nearby like at the 5th and 10th tee area of Monterra.

I've golfed shirtless a few times, on an empty course down south in the late afternoon/evening.

I don't really care what people wear when they golf, they should be comfortable I see jeans, t shirts, flip flops , bare feet.....but courses should be able to dictate a dress code if they wish and people should abide by those rules
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I could care less about both. As long as everyone is having fun thats all that matters. With that in mind I think the music should not be blasting out but instead at a reasonable level.
        Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
        3W - Taylormade M4
        5 wood - Callaway X Hot
        4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
        Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
        Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
        Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Music in casual play is ok as long as it's agreed to. In competitive play it's a definite no.
          This is not redneck golf so keep your shirt on and abide by the dress code.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
            This is not redneck golf
            You saw it was Glen Eagle, right?
            What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
            TM Rescue 17*
            TM M2 4-AW
            TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
            Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Naked golf- mixed seniors-yeah baby- let the angle of your dangle preset the lie.
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Play with me, you're gonna hear music (Deep House/Electronica & Rap/Hip Hop mostly) .....when we were in Lauderdale, the course 'rented' Bluetooth speakers (so, it's a thing!)
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                  Naked golf- mixed seniors-yeah baby- let the angle of your dangle preset the lie.
                  Thanks for that imagery.....it's like a really bad song getting in your head. Oh no....please don't bend over to line up that putt...aaaagh!!!!

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                    I could care less about both. As long as everyone is having fun thats all that matters. With that in mind I think the music should not be blasting out but instead at a reasonable level.
                    I also could care less about either.

In fact, outside of golf I can't think of any other sport/rec activity where people are offended by other people's attire.

Comment

Looks classy.... https://adamsarson.com/gif-collectio...-carousel-8350

Comment

Guess that I am old school and also somehow hypocritical.

When I first played in the 1970's we wore neon coloured singlets and short athletic shorts (think Tom Magnum style short).

Now prefer khaki coloured, pleated walking shorts or slacks which many might consider just as offensive.

Thought that the PGA was wrong in prohibiting Casey Martin from riding.
                        Still believe that the PGA should allow all players to wear shorts.
                        Do not believe that viewers should be allowed to call in rule violations.
                        Believe that rules should be simplified in order to speed up the game and make it more welcoming for new players.

Other than that, I am a bit of a traditionalist. Prefer to walk. Would prefer not to hear any music, after all what you like to hear and what I like to hear may be diametrically opposed. Besides, I consider golf to be almost a 'nature walk'. Prefer quiet and hopefully a chance to hear the birds, see some wildlife. To date have seen deer, wild turkeys, otters, muskrats, foxes, osprey, red tailed hawks, herons, trout, salmon, coyotes and an eagle during my time on the course. Possibly (hopefully) a bear based on the noise and what we found left behind in the woods.

It is my opinion that loud noise from music and carts would have prevented me from experiencing most of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                          Would prefer not to hear any music...
                          Finally, a voice of reason. In my opinion, there is no place for music on a golf course. Other people are trying to concentrate on golf and don't need the distraction. Loud talkers are bad enough. Playing music just ups the ante to an unacceptable level. And it doesn't matter how loud the music is. If I'm not in your group and I can hear it, then it's too loud. The type of music also doesn't matter. Last year, I crossed paths with another group of music enthusiasts at Silver Lakes. They had a penchant for The Eagles -- or maybe it was Jackson Browne. Nothing explicit like the stuff overheard at Glen Eagle, obviously, but just as annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post

Finally, a voice of reason. In my opinion, there is no place for music on a golf course.
                            you are entitled to your opinion about music on the course, doesn't mean it's "the voice of reason."

i personally don't play music but several in my Collingwood group and Arizona group do. It doesn't bother me one bit. I'd rather music than the incessant drone of a mower or chainsaw that I hear regularly.

people play music at the park and at the beach , places I go to relax, it's no different IMO.

the operative word in the OP is "loud" I've yet to encounter loud music on the course from another group , have from houses that border the course.
                            Last edited by Weirfan; Jul 24, 2017, 06:08 PM.
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Finally, A voice of Reason....
                              Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                              I've yet to encounter loud music on the course from another group , have from houses that border the course.
                              ...most bluetooth speakers can't be heard across a fairway

Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X