Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal to stand behind putter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is it legal to stand behind putter?

    Watching Father/Son tournament on the weekend I noticed several persons standing directly behind their partner when he was putting. Iís that legal?
    Should note that most stood a little outside the line but was surprised to see some directly behind.

  • #2
    I would say in that format it's ok.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nearace View Post
      I would say in that format it's ok.
      Yep, they are on the same team so no foul.

      Comment


      • #4
        they mentioned that there was a "local rule" in place for the tournament allowing this.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Richd View Post
          they mentioned that there was a "local rule" in place for the tournament allowing this.
          Did not know that. Thanks.

          Comment


          • #6
            14-2. Assistance
            b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball


            A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.



            There is no authorisation for a committee to make a Local Rule permitting such action.
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

            Comment


            • #7
              I didn't watch it, but wondered if they were cutting a little slack with the rules to make it more fun for the kids.

              Then I googled it and found the kids are all adults.

              So it seems a very odd decision to disregard a rule in this instance. What does that teach fathers and sons about golf? I'm surprised the pros all went along with it.
              Confusion will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi --- I think they played a shamble format, so it wasn't "real" golf anyway. Some of the sons are not yet adults, and some of the sons (older and younger) don't play golf often --- so it probably made sense to get some putting help from Dad or Grandpa.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

                  Yep, they are on the same team so no foul.
                  Popular misconception. Look at AAA's rule quote.It is exactly the opposite. It is members of the same "team" who are precluded from standing behind under the RofG. For opponents to do it is just a breach of etiquette. Player can simply ask opponent to move or desist. Format comments are likely correct. But, let's try to be correct here when talking about the actual rules.
                  Last edited by A Man Called Papa; Dec 24, 2017, 10:02 AM.
                  People who lose faith in golf commonly convert to Catholicism, because the rules are easier to live with.

                  Golf: - The Agony and the Ecstasy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by A Man Called Papa View Post
                    Format comments are likely correct. But, let's try to be correct here when talking about the actual rules.
                    True enough. After all, it's the Father/Son Challenge, not the U.S. Open.....

                    Sage of the GTA...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aaagc View Post
                      14-2. Assistance
                      b. Positioning of Caddie or Partner Behind Ball


                      A player must not make a stroke with his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie positioned on or close to an extension of the line of play or line of putt behind the ball.



                      There is no authorisation for a committee to make a Local Rule permitting such action.
                      is the scramble format recognized under the rules?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No it is not
                        Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                        - Chi Chi Rodriguez

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

                          Then I googled it and found the kids are all adults.

                          So it seems a very odd decision to disregard a rule in this instance. What does that teach fathers and sons about golf? I'm surprised the pros all went along with it.
                          With them all being adults , I don't think anyone was trying to teach them anything about golf !! The pros realized it was more for fun then anything else .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bailey View Post

                            With them all being adults , I don't think anyone was trying to teach them anything about golf !! The pros realized it was more for fun then anything else .
                            I get that, and I know it was a scramble or something and I know it's just for entertainment, but....

                            I wasn't thinking about the golfers themselves, rather the audience.

                            People watching at home - maybe with their kids, maybe not, and seeing a bunch of pros all... blatantly cheating. And to what end? It's a silly tournament, so why bother cheating to "win"?

                            Do they ground their clubs in hazards? Fluff up their lies? Why not?

                            It just seemed an unnecessary bad example to set. When the going gets tough, you can always cheat....
                            Confusion will be my epitaph
                            ...Iggy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

                              I get that, and I know it was a scramble or something and I know it's just for entertainment, but....

                              I wasn't thinking about the golfers themselves, rather the audience.

                              People watching at home - maybe with their kids, maybe not, and seeing a bunch of pros all... blatantly cheating. And to what end? It's a silly tournament, so why bother cheating to "win"?

                              Do they ground their clubs in hazards? Fluff up their lies? Why not?

                              It just seemed an unnecessary bad example to set. When the going gets tough, you can always cheat....
                              Let's be careful with the words here. It's not cheating if the local Rules permit it. Blame the Committee, not the players.

                              Comment


                              Join The TGN Email List

                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard

                              Collapse


                              TGN Sponsors




                              TGN Sponsors

                              Working...
                              X