Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Rules controversy... Caddie Gets Penalized, Costs Pro $12,000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Your explanation makes perfect sense regarding the two-ball and three-ball scenarios.

My question would be in the a two-ball scenario as described, except that one (ball X) is clearly playable and the other (ball Y) is clearly unplayable. Would the player be allowed to declare/decide that ball X is his provisional and proceed from there?

You are correct. This is the one instance where a player has a choice of which ball to be lying 3, instead of re-teeing and hitting 5. As with so many other cases, the poohbahs have made their choice and it seems at odds with some other choices about rules. When I see this rule, I always wonder why they just don't allow a prov to be played as the ball after an unplayable, because it does amount to the same thing-a choice

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
      I always wonder why they just don't allow a prov to be played as the ball after an unplayable, because it does amount to the same thing-a choice
      I understand what you're saying, but should the player be allowed to have the choice between to balls in play? That is, under your scenario a player has hit a 'provisional for lost/OB', but has since found the ball inbounds but unplayable, and would elect to use the provisional ball as one of his options. That may seem practical, but is it fair? That is, he would be choosing between two known outcomes (i.e. relief from the unplayable lie or playing the provisional), as opposed to electing to replay the shot and proceed with that ball regardless of the outcome (which may also be lost, OB or unplayable).

Also, such a practice may be prone to abuse, mainly because the player is the sole judge of whether a ball is unplayable. That is, if a player hits a provisional into a very good position and then finds his original in a very poor position, he could proceed with the provisional and avoid any risk associated with playing the original.
      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
        The problem is that it is difficult to justify penalising a player for not doing something he should as opposed to something he must do.
        Agreed.

However, this appears to reward the player (to some extent, under some circumstances) for not doing something he should do.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but should the player be allowed to have the choice between to balls in play? That is, under your scenario a player has hit a 'provisional for lost/OB', but has since found the ball inbounds but unplayable, and would elect to use the provisional ball as one of his options. That may seem practical, but is it fair? That is, he would be choosing between two known outcomes (i.e. relief from the unplayable lie or playing the provisional), as opposed to electing to replay the shot and proceed with that ball regardless of the outcome (which may also be lost, OB or unplayable).

Also, such a practice may be prone to abuse, mainly because the player is the sole judge of whether a ball is unplayable. That is, if a player hits a provisional into a very good position and then finds his original in a very poor position, he could proceed with the provisional and avoid any risk associated with playing the original.
          Yes, but only in that it would make it consistent with having an original and prov in the same area and getting to pick which one to use as the prov.
          While your 2nd point is valid, he is still lying 3 so it is not like the player gets a free ride.

Comment

Yes, but only in that it would make it consistent with having an original and prov in the same area and getting to pick which one to use as the prov.
            I have to agree that it would make it consistent.
            However, IMO that only makes a poor ruling/decision even worse.

While your 2nd point is valid, he is still lying 3 so it is not like the player gets a free ride.
            I agree that it's not a free ride, but under some circumstances it could be a better option. That is, if he were deep in the woods but otherwise playable with little chance of getting out with one shot, then why not take the medicine and play from a guaranteed good spot? Without being able to use the provisional and if he chose not to replay the original stroke, then his only alternatives would either be to hack his way out one stroke at a time or two club lengths at a time by taking a series of unplayable lies.
            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Without being able to use the provisional and if he chose not to replay the original stroke, then his only alternatives would either be to hack his way out one stroke at a time or two club lengths at a time by taking a series of unplayable lies.
              And thereby take additional time
              Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
              - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 162,788   Posts: 1,705,128   Members: 45,535   Active Members: 254
              Welcome to our newest member, Wrighter99.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
              X