Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early info on New World Handicap System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
    I thought that Australia had something like the above already.
    Not true 'social' round but no competition rounds specifically played for handicap purposes.
    There was talk of it coming in, but I don't know of any clubs that have adopted it.

The only real change we've had towards rounds that can be handicapped at my club is that they will combine two 9 hole Friday comp rounds and enter them for handicapping purposes once the second nine is completed, even if it is months after the first 9.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

#2 - I suspect that this means there will be a limit on how fast and how far an handicap can move based on the player's previous records
      #3 - handicaps will not be adjusted for abnormal conditions, but scores/differentials reported while playing in abnormal conditions might be
      #4 - doesn't need to be done on course; it can be done afterwards and total adjusted score entered for handicap purposes
      correct on number 3. Handicaps are based on slope rating and not weather conditions. Slope ratings fluctuate based on the scores submitted that could be caused by weather or green conditions, potentially even pin and tee placements. However, if you are the only one who plays the course on a 3 degree, rainy day, with 40 kmh winds, your score wont be adjusted as great as if 100 players submitted scores ans we influenced by the same conditions. The course makes up the slope rating, so your handicap would vary on different courses, but your ‘played to’ handicap wouldnt be visible until following the completion of your round.

Comment

Originally posted by Rdillabo View Post

correct on number 3. Handicaps are based on slope rating and not weather conditions. Slope ratings fluctuate based on the scores submitted that could be caused by weather or green conditions, potentially even pin and tee placements. However, if you are the only one who plays the course on a 3 degree, rainy day, with 40 kmh winds, your score wont be adjusted as great as if 100 players submitted scores ans we influenced by the same conditions. The course makes up the slope rating, so your handicap would vary on different courses, but your ‘played to’ handicap wouldnt be visible until following the completion of your round.
        Feel compelled to correct a couple of things-
        - slope ratings do not fluctuate based on the scores submitted. The slope rating can only be changed by the handicapping authority.
        - the course does not "make up" the slope rating. The slope rating is determined by the handicapping authority using a very detailed analysis of several (10?) factors specific to that course.

Comment

Feel compelled to correct a couple of things-
          - slope ratings do not fluctuate based on the scores submitted. The slope rating can only be changed by the handicapping authority.
          - the course does not "make up" the slope rating. The slope rating is determined by the handicapping authority using a very detailed analysis of several (10?) factors specific to that course.
          You are 100% correct, I should have used the term 'scratch rating' instead. Thanks.

Comment

You are 100% correct, I should have used the term 'scratch rating' instead. Thanks.
            "scratch rating" is not set or adjusted by the club or scores either - it is also determined by the handicapping authority.

Comment

"scratch rating" is not set or adjusted by the club or scores either - it is also determined by the handicapping authority.
              Golf Australia has a ‘scratch rating’ that they use to determine scoring conditions that fluctates. In the handicap structure it says ‘DSR’ which I would assume is ‘daily scratch rating’. I could be wrong though, wont be the first time today.

Comment

Golf Australia has a ‘scratch rating’ that they use to determine scoring conditions that fluctates. In the handicap structure it says ‘DSR’ which I would assume is ‘daily scratch rating’. I could be wrong though, wont be the first time today.
                In North America, "scratch rating" is the course rating.

Comment

The Daily Scratch Rating is the Course Rating (set by a rating team of the national body), adjusted by software triggered by the committee if abnormal ground or weather conditions justify it on the day. A DSR adjustment also affects the slope.

The Course Rating is the difficulty rating for a model scratch player. It is sometime call the Scratch Rating or the Standard Scratch Score. Course Rating is the official name given to any rating done using the USGA Course Rating System.
                  This includes Australia and now virtually the whole of the golfing world since England adopted it.
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

You are 100% correct.

Comment

http://www.golf.org.au/newsdisplay/99811
                      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

SWMBO and I were talking during the round today about the new rules for next year and the new h/c system for 2020.

Can any shed any insight into exactly why a World Handicap System is needed? I always read and hear that there are 25 mill(give or take-defined as 2 or more rounds per year) golfers in the USA, but only 5mil or so keep a h/c, and only half of those break 100.
                        Are there really that many golfers flying overseas to play foreign courses, and are that upset that they can't enter their scores when they get back home?

Comment

There are thousands of Europeans who travel between the UK and the rest of Europe (2 different systems) in addition to those who travel to the east or west coasts of the USA. South Africa is now an extremely popular destination from the UK. And parts of Asia, to Europeans in general, increasingly so.The last time I was in Florida, there seemed to be as many Brits playing as snowbirds.
                          In addition there are thousands of US citizens visiting the UK to play (the Open courses in particular).

I can't say I have noticed many from the southern hemisphere in the north.
                          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Aren't the courses also that require a minimum cap in order to play them? Having a standardized system makes that easier.

I also think the algorithm is better suited with input (and investment) from many sources opposed to each "region" trying to do it themselves. This should create a more sustainable and dynamic system. The rules are universal so why shouldn't tracking your scoring also be?

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 163,575   Posts: 1,711,368   Members: 45,625   Active Members: 214
                            Welcome to our newest member, anth2488.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                            X