Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple but silly question RE: OB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple but silly question RE: OB

Simply put i know the rule for hitting OB its stroke and distance and if i definetly know its OB i do that. If i walk up and im not sure i drop and take an extra stroke from where i think it went in (2 stroke penalty)

My question is this.

say i hit one and im not sure (if i think theres a chance i hit a provisional) but sometimes u forget or didnt think it went OB. Anyways u go up there and and its in the forest a few feet.

for this scenario i have 2 questions:
    1) The forest isnt staked any colour at all (can you play from the forest and punch out? Or if ur lie in the forest is bad do you have 2 options? 1 being stroke and distance. Or 2 unplayable in and re drop in the forest ?

scenario 2 is same as 1 but the forest is marked with white stakes or lines. Can you even play it or are u forced to take a stroke and distance?

Hppefully this makes sense for you rulies
    Driver---Taylormade M3 (8.5) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X 45"
    3W------Cobra King F6 (14.5) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 42.65"
    5W------Cobra King F6 Baffler (17.5) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
    3H-------Cobra King F6 (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.4"
    Irons------Maltby MMB-17 4-PW Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG) & Taylormade Hi-Toe (60) Modus 3 125X/Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter-----Taylormade Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Midslim 2.0

If you find your original ball in play, you abandon the provisional and have the option of playing the ball as it lies or if its not playable the 3 options for an unplayable.

1. Drop within 2 club lengths
    2. Moving back along the line of where the ball sits and flag
    3. Go back and replay the shot

playing the provisional or dropping under a 2 stroke penalty are not options.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

If the ball came to rest OB, then it's gone even if you can play it. OB is not the same as a hazard.

OB is usually clearly marked with white lines and/or stakes, or is defined by a fence separating the golf course from adjacent property. So, just because a ball is in a forest does not necessarily mean that it's OB.

Until the new rules regarding lost/OB come into effect in 2019, if you're ball is OB and you have not hit a provisional, then you have to replay the shot (i.e. you're not allowed to drop and add 2 strokes). That's why it's always good to hit a provisional if there's any doubt about whether the ball is lost or OB.

I think I understand the basic question(s), but you should familiarize yourself with the difference between OB, lost and unplayable. Each one has its own characteristics and implications under the rules, therefore it's difficult to provide a standard answer to address more than one of them.
      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Ok so the better question i guess is that if a forest or area has no markings its not necessarily considered OB and u then proceed under unplayable or lost ball.

And yes benz i know the rule however im not a super stickler unless a tournament. I will never ever do the walk of shame unless a tournament. Dont feel like holding up the course. If i think theres a chance i play a provisional. However sometimes u have those blind shots and they take some funny bounces and you have to declare the ball lost. I wont ever walk back for that. For a lost ball its stroke and distance in which case i wont. I take relief in line with last point no closer and 2 strokes (essentially using the new rule now instead of waiting for 2019)
        Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG) & Taylormade Hi-Toe (60) Modus 3 125X/Modus 3 125 Wedge

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
          Ok so the better question i guess is that if a forest or area has no markings its not necessarily considered OB and u then proceed under unplayable or lost ball.

And yes benz i know the rule however im not a super stickler unless a tournament. I will never ever do the walk of shame unless a tournament. Dont feel like holding up the course. If i think theres a chance i play a provisional. However sometimes u have those blind shots and they take some funny bounces and you have to declare the ball lost. I wont ever walk back for that. For a lost ball its stroke and distance in which case i wont. I take relief in line with last point no closer and 2 strokes (essentially using the new rule now instead of waiting for 2019)
          If there are no white stakes or markings, why would you think it's OB to begin with?
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Probably given bad info when i first started and never properly learned .

Comment

Probably given bad info when i first started and never properly learned .
              Wouldn't be the first or last time that has happened!

Often , the advice you get is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Comment

Sometimes it is defined on the score card of the course you are playing. Oakridge score card reads “all forested areas are lateral hazards.” I think many also list any OB designated areas on their scorecard under local rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

Sometimes it is defined on the score card of the course you are playing. Oakridge score card reads “all forested areas are lateral hazards.” I think many also list any OB designated areas on their scorecard under local rules.
                  Apart from the fact that they don't necessarily meet the definition, they need to be marked. What is a forested area exactly? When is my ball in one?
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post

Apart from the fact that they don't necessarily meet the definition, they need to be marked. What is a forested area exactly? When is my ball in one?
                    Do you know the course? Seems pretty obvious to me when I play there.

Comment

Do you know the course? Seems pretty obvious to me when I play there.
                      I think his question is about precision.

Is my ball in the forest or just in a bunch of trees? There are some clumps of 6 or 7 trees that "might" be forest. Or not.

With stakes or a line your ball is either in or out of the hazard - it's easy to assess. If you hit your ball a little ways into the forest, kinda, with an opening towards the green and a decent lie, can you ground your club? If you hit it a foot deeper into the forest, does that change? Where???

The birches on the right look like a bunch of trees to me. Forest?

I assume the intent is to help with PoP, but it adds some challenges too.

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                        Is that the 18th at Oakridge?
                        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

[QUareas with grass. Basically a tree in the rough.OTE=Ignatius Reilly;n2795127]

I think his question is about precision.

Is my ball in the forest or just in a bunch of trees? There are some clumps of 6 or 7 trees that "might" be forest. Or not.

With stakes or a line your ball is either in or out of the hazard - it's easy to assess. If you hit your ball a little ways into the forest, kinda, with an opening towards the green and a decent lie, can you ground your club? If you hit it a foot deeper into the forest, does that change? Where???

The birches on the right look like a bunch of trees to me. Forest?

I assume the intent is to help with PoP, but it adds some challenges too.

[/QUOTE]

I don’t have a card with me so it may be worded more specifically but in my mind it is trees where you would not have a lie or opportunity to put a swing on the ball at all. Where you have no choice but to drop. There are a few examples where in some cases it would be OB (5th hole, left side would be an example).

But in the pic of the 18th from behind the green (for Benz question), those birches are all playable areas. There is definitely grass (rough) surrounding them. None of the “tree lined” areas have any grass growing under them.

Comment

Interesting enough the right side in the photo of Oakridge 18 above used to be white staked because it abuts the 17th fairway and a player could actually get a huge advantage hitting their drive over to the 17th fairway and coming into the green on the longest view of the green. But that was before I was playing up there.

In the photo above the treed area back at the 200 yd mark and beyond to the tee on the left side of the photo would be a “treed area.”

Comment

Interesting enough the right side in the photo of Oakridge 18 above used to be white staked because it abuts the 17th fairway and a player could actually get a huge advantage hitting their drive over to the 17th fairway and coming into the green on the longest view of the green. But that was before I was playing up there.

In the photo above the treed area back at the 200 yd mark and beyond to the tee on the left side of the photo would be a “treed area.”
                              Is a "treed area" different than a "forested area" (your original description")? It seems to be getting fuzzy, as expected by the poor wording reportedly on the score card and lack of any markings (whether right or wrong).

Comment

Advanced Search

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 159,273   Posts: 1,675,817   Members: 45,088   Active Members: 289
                              Welcome to our newest member, Jim Gray.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X