Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are handicaps truly agnostic with respect to the tees you play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post

The problem is that publicly available scoring records on Golf Canada don't include the course name. If you saw two different ratings repeating for all of a player's rounds, you wouldn't immediately know if those represent two different tees at the same course, or two entirely different courses.

If you were really keen, you could look up the player's home course and then check if the ratings that appear on his scoring record match up with those for different tees at that particular course. If you want to go through the hassle, I salute you.

It's also quite possible that the exact same rating on a player's scoring record could be from different courses.
    And if you do work, it will still be a very, very small sample size, and what would you do, or expect to be done by whom, with your results from that small sample size?

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingPar View Post

The problem is that publicly available scoring records on Golf Canada don't include the course name. If you saw two different ratings repeating for all of a player's rounds, you wouldn't immediately know if those represent two different tees at the same course, or two entirely different courses.

If you were really keen, you could look up the player's home course and then check if the ratings that appear on his scoring record match up with those for different tees at that particular course. If you want to go through the hassle, I salute you.

It's also quite possible that the exact same rating on a player's scoring record could be from different courses.
      You can get the data for an individual showing course. tees, Course rating/slope, score and differential.
      Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

Hi Golftime --- I don't think you can look up the course, as I explained earlier. But I could be wrong; if you know how to get that info, could you tell us how to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
          Hi Golftime --- I don't think you can look up the course, as I explained earlier. But I could be wrong; if you know how to get that info, could you tell us how to do so.
          Just do a handicap lookup from the main menu. Type a name in the search box then select a player from the list. Here is a short example of what the results look like.
          You can cut and paste into Excel and play to your hearts content.
          2011-10-07 CHERRY HILL CLUB 18 GOLD 69.5 / 122 86 15.3 A Edit Delete
          2011-10-05 Peninsula Lakes Golf Club 18 White 68.4 / 122 81 * 11.7 H Edit Delete
          2011-09-24 Peninsula Lakes Golf Club 18 White 68.4 / 122 81 * 11.7 H Edit Delete
          2011-09-21 Peninsula Lakes Golf Club 18 White 68.4 / 122 87 17.2 H Edit Delete

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

And if you do work, it will still be a very, very small sample size, and what would you do, or expect to be done by whom, with your results from that small sample size?
            There are a number of statistical tests to determine the probability that two sets of score differentials have the same underlying distribution. It's a standard hypothesis test. You need around 20 observations in each sample, depending on the standard deviations in each.

You can also use a similar approach to estimate the probability that someone is sandbagging, based on their differentials going into a tournament vs what they shoot.
            Member of Cedar Brae GC

Comment

Hi again Golftime --- well that's strange; that's more detail than I see at the Golf Canada site when I look up someone's handicap. Could you provide a link to the web site that you use. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Golftime View Post
                You can get the data for an individual showing course. tees, Course rating/slope, score and differential.
                Are you signed in to the Golf Canada website when you perform the handicap lookup?

If you don't have a Golf Canada account and you perform a lookup, the course names will not appear in the individual's scoring record.

Comment

When I go back to the old GHIN scores, my index was almost always better from the back tees. It's not so much that I hit it all that far, it just means I can make the same mistake with any club in my bag. I also tended to score better in tournaments ias opposed to just out playing with the boys working on some part of my game or some particular shot,
                  https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                    Hi again Golftime --- well that's strange; that's more detail than I see at the Golf Canada site when I look up someone's handicap. Could you provide a link to the web site that you use. Thanks.
                    Here is the link for the main menu. https://scg.golfcanada.ca/at-a-glance
                    Here is the results screen link when I check my own stats. https://scg.golfcanada.ca/scoring/1351219
                    The number at the end of the link changes if I check someone else.
                    I guess that this extra data is another benefit of being a member,

Comment

Thanks Golftime / John; I am a Golf Canada member but obviously didn't know about the extra detail I could look up while signed in. Keep up the good scoring.

Comment

Advanced Search

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 160,068   Posts: 1,683,268   Members: 45,221   Active Members: 298
                      Welcome to our newest member, NewerGolferNut1991.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                      X