Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handicaps at 75%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
    I wonder how the new handicapping calculations (best 8 of last 20) will affect the differential. It seems to me that clubs themselves are responsible for a lot of the sandbagging if there is little peer review. The playing alone and not entering scores for handicap should have mitigated some of the SB ing but shouldn't we all be reviewing scores. I play with the same leagues on Wednesdays and Saturdays and my scores for those days are posted on a league notice board. The rest of the time, I play with the same members who refuse to give up 25 cents to an extra stroke.
    Definitely true! The handicap system depends on the club's handicap committee meeting its responsibilities. Imo, the failure of club handicap committees "doing their job" leads to tournament committees setting these odd handicap percentage situations. I don't think that sandbaggers represent more than 5% of all golfers with a handicap, but their actions and the reactions impact everyone. They should be "rooted out" and nobody should feel guilty about doing it. The handicap system depends on the integrity of the participants.

Comment

The new calculations won't "affect the differential" (whatever that means); but all things being equal, everyone's handicap factor will drop after the calculation will consider his best eight, rather than ten, differentials.
      I say "all things being equal" because I haven't read all the proposed changes to the Handicap Manual.

I've been on a handicap committee and can state that the committee members understandably tread lightly when it comes to deciding that a fellow club member is a sandbagger. "Peers" (that is, club members, and not just committee members) are understandably reluctant to go on the record about their suspicions. So it's easy to say that sandbaggers should be "rooted out", but harder to do.

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
        I wonder how the new handicapping calculations (best 8 of last 20) will affect the differential. It seems to me that clubs themselves are responsible for a lot of the sandbagging if there is little peer review. The playing alone and not entering scores for handicap should have mitigated some of the SB ing but shouldn't we all be reviewing scores. I play with the same leagues on Wednesdays and Saturdays and my scores for those days are posted on a league notice board. The rest of the time, I play with the same members who refuse to give up 25 cents to an extra stroke.
        We've been on the best 8 system for a few years now, previously was 10. My cap has consistently been down a shot and a half to two shots under this system.

Comment

Some info for tournament committees to consider...

The USGA's Golf Handicap and Information Network (GHIN) has tracked the tournament scores of thousands of golfers and has identified those who play consistently better in tournaments than their handicaps would indicate. From these scores the following profile of a manipulator has been developed:
          • Percentage of all golfers identified: 0.15 percent, or 1.5 per 1000 golfers.
          • Average handicap: 20 (low 7, high 43).
          • Rounds posted per year: eight (as compared with the national average of 21). This profile is of a player who probably posts fewer than half his scores, or rarely completes a full round.
          • Scores best in two-day tournaments. Prepares especially for big club events.
          • Does not post "away" scores. The average golfer has posted four "away" scores among his bank of 20 rounds. The manipulator rarely has one score away from home. He practices away from home, but does not post his scores.
          • Beats his handicap by at least six strokes in tournaments play. The average golfer beats his handicap by only 2.7 strokes as his BEST score in 20 rounds. Fewer than nine percent of golfers ever beat their handicap by six strokes, and only two percent have ever beat it by nine strokes. Sandbaggers not only accomplish this rare feat, they manage to do it only in tournaments.
          • Tournament scores appear as only 10 percent of his record. He loads his record with many more non-tournament scores than tournament scores.
          • Scores many strokes higher than his tournament scores immediately before and after a tournament. The player who came out at the head of the list on the computer had only scores from 92 to 111 in 1982, posted a 105 on May 25, 1983, and his next two scores (both tournament scores, in July) were 76, 76. His next score was 106--an incredible ability to rise to the occasion.
          What's In The Bag:
          Driver: Callaway Rogue 9.5*
          3 Wood: Callaway Rogue15*
          Utility(s): Callaway Rogue x 18*
          Irons: Cally Rogue x 5-AW
          Wedge: Cleveland Forged 588 60*
          Putter: Scotty Del mar

WITB FLA:
          Same as Above

Comment

How do you calculate the 75% for someone with a "plus" handicap? Do they get their handicap raised (+4 becomes +3)?

EDIT:
            http://www.usga.org/handicapping/han...ml#!rule-14387

Looks the USGA says +4 becomes +3.

Section 9 - 3b:
            When a plus-handicap player is part of a side, the percentage allowances, for different types of play (as described in Section 9-4), bring that player's Course Handicap closer to zero (e.g., 50% of a 1 and +1 is .5 and +0.5, which rounds to 1 and 0 respectively. This is 50% of the original spread of 2). This occurs in order to keep as close as possible the proper percentage spread between the plus-handicap player and the other members of the side.

Example: On side A-B, Player A has a Course Handicap of +5 and Player B has a Course Handicap of 10. The total spread between Course Handicap is 15 strokes. In a competition where 80% of each player's Course Handicap is used, Player A becomes a +4 (+5 x 80%) and Player B becomes an 8 (10 x 80%). The spread between Course Handicap, after the allowance is 12, which is 80% of their original spread of 15.
            Last edited by sjmcampbell; Jul 10, 2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by just123123 View Post
              Some info for tournament committees to consider...

The USGA's Golf Handicap and Information Network (GHIN) has tracked the tournament scores of thousands of golfers and has identified those who play consistently better in tournaments than their handicaps would indicate. From these scores the following profile of a manipulator has been developed:
              This was a great post with some cool insight. Thanks.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 164,151   Posts: 1,717,503   Members: 45,682   Active Members: 198
              Welcome to our newest member, Mike M67.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
              X