/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

Came up during our trip to Michigan, and I wholeheartedly agree...

Having to hit a shot out of a divot
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
    Came up during our trip to Michigan, and I wholeheartedly agree...

Having to hit a shot out of a divot
    Easily the clear winner. Punishment for hitting a perfect shot.

Comment

Just learn to to play the shot. It's not going to change.
      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
        Not the point...... A ridiculous rule.

3 off the tee vs. unplayable and get a drop also irks me (not that I do it).....

Comment

Nice response... ? Canít take your RO hat off ever eh. You are aware that when people complain about a certain rule it isnít meant to insult you, or as a personal affront to you.

You could have offered even a little insight into how people will try to say everything on the fairway is or was a divot and need relief...

Comment

Originally posted by Hit n try to find it View Post

Nice response... ? Canít take your RO hat off ever eh. You are aware that when people complain about a certain rule it isnít meant to insult you, or as a personal affront to you.

You could have offered even a little insight into how people will try to say everything on the fairway is or was a divot and need relief...
            The fact is that golf is a game of skill and also one of luck. It's very unfortunate when ur ball is in a divot, but that's just bad luck.
            In the event u hit a terrible shot, looking OB, it hits a tree and comes back into the middle of the fairway - do you say 'no! I'll play 3 off the tee because that was a terrible shot and should have been OB?'
            http://www.galagolfclub.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stevedimebag View Post

The fact is that golf is a game of skill and also one of luck. It's very unfortunate when ur ball is in a divot, but that's just bad luck.
              In the event u hit a terrible shot, looking OB, it hits a tree and comes back into the middle of the fairway - do you say 'no! I'll play 3 off the tee because that was a terrible shot and should have been OB?'
              Plenty of luck good & bad in golf. However to answer your post, no a fairway means you hit it where you were supposed to. I clip the ball and a divot is a mistake, which makes hitting out of one even harder.

Add to that often a divot on a public course is a result of golfers not replacing or filling them properly.

Comment

​​​​​It's not going to change.
                Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                often a divot on a public course is a result of golfers not replacing or filling them properly.
                Ground under repair includes any holes made by a greenkeeper so including a divot isn't all that far-fetched.
                Last edited by ninja; Jul 30, 2018, 06:27 AM.
                BEER.....the only reason I get up in the afternoon

Comment

I will vote for the double hit rule for worst. At least that one is going to change. I donít mind the divot thing - all part of the imperfect state that defines golf

Comment

Originally posted by Left behind View Post

Easily the clear winner. Punishment for hitting a perfect shot.
                    Golf is a game where we play it as it lies; that includes good lies and bad ones. I remember reading one time, that it was never meant to be fair. I like that.

Comment

I'm a believer that golf is a game of skill and luck. The skill part tests your physical abilities, and the luck part tests your mental strength. How you deal with bad luck is an integral part of the test of golf.

I think it would be very hard to rule whether or not a ball is actually in a divot, a brand new divot, a poorly-repaired divot, an almost-but-not-quite-healed divot, etc. Having that sort of confusion and grey area would actually make the game worse, lead to slower play and more arguments - unless we all just agreed to tip the ball up for each stroke. That would be a dumb rule.

Which leads back to aaagc's point: "learn to play the shot".
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

Really picking it up and dropping beside the divot is so tough. Pros that we watch all play perfectly manicured courses where divots and prpoerlp tended to. Hitting a divot for them is a nuisance bit no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja View Post

Ground under repair includes any holes made by a greenkeeper so including a divot isn't all that far-fetched.
                          Define a divot (hole) so that everyone knows what one is or isn't.
                          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

While I understand the practicality of them, but I think it is unfair (or whatever word or words you prefer) to change the rules for professional tournament plays.

Pros' errand shots saved by the gallery lining up the fairway or the grand stand surrounding the green is my biggest point of contention.

The outcome of many great tournaments probably would have changed had those grand stands surrounding hole were not there.

ps: I would like to hear the takes of the rules officials here on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                              Add to that often a divot on a public course is a result of golfers not replacing or filling them properly.
                              Uhm, Iíve seen plenty of unpaired divots (and pitch marks) on private courses too.
                              Ė Greg

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 175,991   Posts: 1,846,229   Members: 47,520   Active Members: 263
                              Welcome to our newest member, bestbloger.
                              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X