/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm watching the highlights on Sports Centre, and they are showing Jon Rahm talking to an official about him touching his ball with his foot in the rough. Jon said he touched it but didn't move it. The rules official told him it was a penalty. The next words from Jon were classic "no one showed me where my ball was" Damn, now I wish there was someone to show me where my ball was every time I am in the rough...

Comment

• Originally posted by AjaxGolf View Post
      I'm watching the highlights on Sports Centre, and they are showing Jon Rahm talking to an official about him touching his ball with his foot in the rough. Jon said he touched it but didn't move it. The rules official told him it was a penalty. The next words from Jon were classic "no one showed me where my ball was" Damn, now I wish there was someone to show me where my ball was every time I am in the rough...
      Hang on in there - it won't be long. From Jan 1st there won't be a penalty.

Comment

• There are no dumb rules..... The Rulies has spoken!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
          There are no dumb rules..... The Rulies has spoken!!!!!!
          I'd suggest dumb players!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by rulie View Post

I'd suggest dumb players!!!!
            Please name one. The thing about "rulies" is they won't ever acknowledge bad rules, just that they must all be followed.

Comment

Please name one. The thing about "rulies" is they won't ever acknowledge bad rules, just that they must all be followed.
              There are many on the PGA Tour, and many, many more playing daily. Did you watch the US Open this year, or the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits?
              "Rulies" are trained to know and apply the Rules, not to judge whether the Rules are good or bad.
              I don't understand posters who come to a Rules forum to bash those that know the Rules - must be out from under the bridge?

Comment

Assuming I am a "rulie", this is just nonsense. Perhaps best not to talk about "bad" rules rather than rules which would benefit from revision,
                Last edited by ColinL; Aug 12, 2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinL View Post

Assuming I am a "ruile", this is just nonsense. Perhaps best not to talk about "bad" rules rather than rules which would benefit from revision,
                  I agree. Rules are revised periodically, after much discussion and thought. It was decided not to allow free relief from divots and foot prints in bunkers, so players should just deal with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

I agree. Rules are revised periodically, after much discussion and thought. It was decided not to allow free relief from divots and foot prints in bunkers, so players should just deal with it.
                    Case in point if a person hasn't filled a divot or raked the sand, one should be penalized?

Next time I'm stuck behing a boulder I'll just ask a dozen spectators to move it for me......

Comment

Case in point if a person hasn't filled a divot or raked the sand, one should be penalized?

Next time I'm stuck behing a boulder I'll just ask a dozen spectators to move it for me......
                      It may be unfortunate but there is no penalty involved (unless you want to deem the ball unplayable).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                        While I understand the practicality of them, but I think it is unfair (or whatever word or words you prefer) to change the rules for professional tournament plays.

Pros' errand shots saved by the gallery lining up the fairway or the grand stand surrounding the green is my biggest point of contention.

The outcome of many great tournaments probably would have changed had those grand stands surrounding hole were not there.

ps: I would like to hear the takes of the rules officials here on this topic.
                        This is one of my peeves as well, although I don't think "change the rules for professional tournament play" is what you mean. The rules aren't "changed", but the environment where the rules are applied against is. I've lost balls in the middle of the fairway (think late October with lots of leaves falling) while you see a guy at The Open Championship hit it into the gorse and a search party of hundreds find it. I'd love to bring even a dozen friends to line the fairways and help me locate errant shots but I've been unable to find a course that allows spectators for public play.

I get the "playing the same game" notion with the rules of golf, but it just isn't.

Comment

• Whether you have only your fellow competitors to help search for your ball or a gallery of hundreds has nothing to do with the rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by emvee View Post

This is one of my peeves as well, although I don't think "change the rules for professional tournament play" is what you mean. The rules aren't "changed", but the environment where the rules are applied against is. I've lost balls in the middle of the fairway (think late October with lots of leaves falling) while you see a guy at The Open Championship hit it into the gorse and a search party of hundreds find it. I'd love to bring even a dozen friends to line the fairways and help me locate errant shots but I've been unable to find a course that allows spectators for public play.

I get the "playing the same game" notion with the rules of golf, but it just isn't.
                            You'll just have to improve your game to the point where people will come and pay to watch you play.
                            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

• Could this be the new Dumbest rule

More USGA rules silliness young baller Akshay Bhatia loses a hole, match when his caddie rides in unauthorized cart:

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/...cart-incident/

Comment

• Originally posted by Benz View Post
                                IMO, if you can't see your ball land and/or if there is the slightest doubt about whether it will be found, then a provisional ball should be put into play.
                                Jordan Spieth on the 4th hole today at the 4th round of the Northern Trust. Missed the fairway by a step or two and despite a dozen people in some cases on their hands and knees couldn't find it. Sort of like the ground ate it. No way to foresee this so gets into a cart and goes back to the tee. Sure, that's the rule, but it's just not feasible to follow it at a busy course filled with > 20 hdcp where something like this can happen a few times a round (some punk picks up your ball, blind landing area, etc).

As this is rare for skilled/elite players and fairly common for us hackers, this is part of my argument for a second set of rules for social golf (Rule 1.1 Keep up with the group in front of you. Rule 1.2 If there's no group in front of you, you must ensure you are not holding up the group behind you. Letting them play though is acceptable to comply with this rule. Rule 1.3 If you can't follow rule 1.1 and 1.2, get off the course - you guys can fill in the rest)

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,232   Posts: 1,863,855   Members: 47,797   Active Members: 334
                                Welcome to our newest member, Shortty4.
                                Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X