Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [QUOTE=SmoothBomber;n2883626leaves littering the course making finding balls just off the fairway really difficult. [/QUOTE]

    How about not finding balls hit smack in the middle of the fairway because of an abundance of leaves? We always play it as Abnormal Ground Condition aka The Canadian Leaf rule. Just drop one and play on. It would not be so bad if the Handicap season ended on Sept 30 instead of Oct 31.

    Comment


    • If it's the Canadian Leaf Rule, does it only apply to a ball lost in maple leaves?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ColinL View Post
        If it's the Canadian Leaf Rule, does it only apply to a ball lost in maple leaves?
        Only on the classic Thompson designs. The rest of us take relief from maple, oak, ash, beech, walnut, poplar.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

          How about not finding balls hit smack in the middle of the fairway because of an abundance of leaves? We always play it as Abnormal Ground Condition aka The Canadian Leaf rule. Just drop one and play on. It would not be so bad if the Handicap season ended on Sept 30 instead of Oct 31.
          The Rules of golf provide an authorized local Rule for the Committee to implement. It's a local Committee decision.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by rulie View Post

            The Rules of golf provide an authorized local Rule for the Committee to implement. It's a local Committee decision.
            that's a big assumption that there is an active committee and they actually post and inform all people playing that this is the case. My experience is this is non-existent.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

              that's a big assumption that there is an active committee and they actually post and inform all people playing that this is the case. My experience is this is non-existent.
              That's not a Rules of golf problem - it's a local club problem.

              Comment


              • I heard today from a gentlemen we played a freezing cold round of golf with at Station Creek that his pro told him that the infamous double hit off a chip on the fringe is NO LONGER a penalty. Does someone care to verify this because I am the king of the accidental double hit chip and that would be great for my money games. LOL!!!
                Regards,

                PNND

                WITB (LH):
                Driver - Callaway Epic with a limited edition Fuji Speeder VT 6.0s Gold foil.
                3 Wood - 15 degree PXG 0341 with Accra Tour Z Lime.
                Hybrids - Callaway XR 22 and 25 degree with Fuji Speeder Blue.
                Irons - PXG 0311 (5-AW) with C-Taper Lite 110.
                Wedges - Callaway PM grind 56 and 60.
                Putter(s) - PXG mustang and a Notre Dame Fighting Irish themed custom Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 (Stainless).
                Ball - Pro V1, Srixon Z-Star, Callaway Chrome Soft

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post
                  I heard today from a gentlemen we played a freezing cold round of golf with at Station Creek that his pro told him that the infamous double hit off a chip on the fringe is NO LONGER a penalty. Does someone care to verify this because I am the king of the accidental double hit chip and that would be great for my money games. LOL!!!
                  The Rule is changing from Jan 2019.

                  10.1a. Fairly Striking the Ball
                  In making a stroke:
                  The player must fairly strike at the ball with the head of the club such that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball and must not push, scrape or scoop the ball.
                  If the player's club accidentally hits the ball more than once, there has been only one stroke and there is no penalty.
                  Last edited by aaagc; Nov 5, 2018, 04:28 AM.
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by rulie View Post

                    That's not a Rules of golf problem - it's a local club problem.
                    That's one way of looking at it. I see them as intertwined.
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

                      That's one way of looking at it. I see them as intertwined.
                      I don't. The Rules speak often of the "Committee" and Committee is a defined term in the Rules - either the Committee in charge of the course or the Committee in charge of the competition. Further Rule 33 outlines the responsibilities and authorities of the Committee.
                      If the club or competition doesn't have a Committee, that's on the club, not the Rules.

                      Comment


                      Join The TGN Email List

                      Collapse

                      Recently Joined

                      Collapse

                      Topics: 174,751   Posts: 1,830,158   Members: 47,321   Active Members: 266
                      Welcome to our newest member, Williams26ers.

                      Today's Birthdays

                      Collapse

                      PGA Leaderboard

                      Collapse


                      TGN Sponsors

                      Working...
                      X