/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK7GTI
    replied
    Originally posted by ColinL View Post
    This conversation has a limited life! In 2019 you will have the option of adopting a Local Rule to allow a ball to be dropped in the vicinity of where a ball not found is likely to be or a ball is out of bounds with a 2 stroke penalty.

Apologies if that has already said. I don't have time to go through 12 pages to check!
    My buddies and I already do this as a time saver. Just get on with it. I play most of my rounds during twlight or hot deals on golf now. Never once have I come across someone who plays golf strictly by the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    That's a great illustration of how the new local rule is applied.

As I've said before, I think this new rule is going to be severely misunderstood, misapplied and/or abused, especially with regard to the use of a provisional ball. There is already misinformation out there that it's a one-stroke penalty when it's actually two strokes.

Leave a comment:

• aaagc
    replied
    http://www.usga.org/content/usga/hom...-distance.html

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by ColinL View Post
    This conversation has a limited life! In 2019 you will have the option of adopting a Local Rule to allow a ball to be dropped in the vicinity of where a ball not found is likely to be or a ball is out of bounds with a 2 stroke penalty.

Apologies if that has already said. I don't have time to go through 12 pages to check!
    AFIK, the course may adopt the local rule. If the course has not done so, players can't adopt it unilaterally. I suspect that this will be a sticking point for a lot of people who post scores for handicap if they assume that this new rule is general rather than local (which must be adopted).

As for this rule in particular, my understand is that the ball may be dropped on the fairway at a point no closer to the hole than where the original ball is likely to be.

Leave a comment:

• ColinL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Originally posted by emvee View Post

Sure, but that high handicapper that just sliced/hooked his drive might do it again, then again. It starts adding up. Then he finds the original shot, then has to go pick up the other balls which might be widely dispersed or even lost. Then something similar happens on the next shot ....

All I'm trying to say is that adhering to the rules for less skilled players is far more time consuming and on courses that send out foursomes every 8 minutes it gets to the point of being unworkable. Maybe it's not a "dumb" rule (I didn't pick the thread title), but a frustrating rule, which leads to what Benz stated (I agree that's what gets said but people should be saying "I'll play my fourth from here" - if they want to play a third, that's got to be from the tee).
    Real raw beginners like that should feel free to ignore most of the rules and concentrate on making their shots, enjoying the day, and moving along.

That would be my wife's game.

She's still interested in knowing and understanding the rules so she learns how the game works, but she's also pretty adept at picking up when "that's enough" for any hole. Or round.

She doesn't keep a cap and she doesn't need to. Anyone who watches her make two swings will confidently vouch she must be a 40.4.

For normal players, even a mid capper like myself, you only need to hit a provisional less than once per round on average, I find. Some rounds need a few, others have none. So.... 4 guys each hitting one per round adds about 2 minutes. I doubt it works out to anything at all, as that time gets picked up within a hole or so.

Leave a comment:

• emvee
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post
    Hitting a provisional should take 20-30 seconds max. There should never be an excuse not to hit one.
    Sure, but that high handicapper that just sliced/hooked his drive might do it again, then again. It starts adding up. Then he finds the original shot, then has to go pick up the other balls which might be widely dispersed or even lost. Then something similar happens on the next shot ....

All I'm trying to say is that adhering to the rules for less skilled players is far more time consuming and on courses that send out foursomes every 8 minutes it gets to the point of being unworkable. Maybe it's not a "dumb" rule (I didn't pick the thread title), but a frustrating rule, which leads to what Benz stated (I agree that's what gets said but people should be saying "I'll play my fourth from here" - if they want to play a third, that's got to be from the tee).

Leave a comment:

• johnny canuck
    replied
    Hitting a provisional should take 20-30 seconds max. There should never be an excuse not to hit one.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied

Jordan Spieth on the 4th hole today at the 4th round of the Northern Trust. Missed the fairway by a step or two and despite a dozen people in some cases on their hands and knees couldn't find it. Sort of like the ground ate it. No way to foresee this so gets into a cart and goes back to the tee. Sure, that's the rule, but it's just not feasible to follow it at a busy course filled with > 20 hdcp where something like this can happen a few times a round (some punk picks up your ball, blind landing area, etc).

As this is rare for skilled/elite players and fairly common for us hackers, this is part of my argument for a second set of rules for social golf (Rule 1.1 Keep up with the group in front of you. Rule 1.2 If there's no group in front of you, you must ensure you are not holding up the group behind you. Letting them play though is acceptable to comply with this rule. Rule 1.3 If you can't follow rule 1.1 and 1.2, get off the course - you guys can fill in the rest)
    I understand your point. However, I would never advocate rules for 'social' golf that are different that regular golf because of the potential impact(s) on handicaps. That said, if no one in a group is going to post a score for handicap, then play whatever rules you want.

As far as I know, the existing rules of etiquette would cover when and how to allow faster groups to play through.

Regarding pace of play, that is exactly why the rules for provisional balls were put in place; to accommodate the existing rules for lost/OB balls without making it necessary to go back and replay a shot. You can easily play another ball which may or may not matter based on whether the original ball is in play. However, I rarely see casual players play provisionals, mainly because they don't know that they're allowed to do so and/or they don't want to admit that they may not find their original ball. Also, most casual players tend to play a lost/OB ball as a lateral hazard, so they declare the ball lost and say "I'll play my third from here.", which is wrong under the (official) rules.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffc
    replied

Jordan Spieth on the 4th hole today at the 4th round of the Northern Trust. Missed the fairway by a step or two and despite a dozen people in some cases on their hands and knees couldn't find it. Sort of like the ground ate it. No way to foresee this so gets into a cart and goes back to the tee. Sure, that's the rule, but it's just not feasible to follow it at a busy course filled with > 20 hdcp where something like this can happen a few times a round (some punk picks up your ball, blind landing area, etc).

As this is rare for skilled/elite players and fairly common for us hackers, this is part of my argument for a second set of rules for social golf (Rule 1.1 Keep up with the group in front of you. Rule 1.2 If there's no group in front of you, you must ensure you are not holding up the group behind you. Letting them play though is acceptable to comply with this rule. Rule 1.3 If you can't follow rule 1.1 and 1.2, get off the course - you guys can fill in the rest)
    no doubt. The rough where I play is ridiculously long right now due to all the rain we've had. We spend significant time looking for balls hit in the rough and do try to keep an eye on where they go. If we were to hit provisionals every time there there was the slightest doubt it would be found, we'd be hitting provisionals on every other shot. We lost at least 2 in the rough on Thurs night.

Leave a comment:

• emvee
    replied
    Originally posted by Benz View Post
    IMO, if you can't see your ball land and/or if there is the slightest doubt about whether it will be found, then a provisional ball should be put into play.

Leave a comment:

• TeetoGrnr
    replied
    Could this be the new Dumbest rule

More USGA rules silliness young baller Akshay Bhatia loses a hole, match when his caddie rides in unauthorized cart:

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/...cart-incident/

Leave a comment:

• aaagc
    replied

This is one of my peeves as well, although I don't think "change the rules for professional tournament play" is what you mean. The rules aren't "changed", but the environment where the rules are applied against is. I've lost balls in the middle of the fairway (think late October with lots of leaves falling) while you see a guy at The Open Championship hit it into the gorse and a search party of hundreds find it. I'd love to bring even a dozen friends to line the fairways and help me locate errant shots but I've been unable to find a course that allows spectators for public play.

I get the "playing the same game" notion with the rules of golf, but it just isn't.
    You'll just have to improve your game to the point where people will come and pay to watch you play.

Leave a comment:

• ColinL
    replied
    Whether you have only your fellow competitors to help search for your ball or a gallery of hundreds has nothing to do with the rules.

Leave a comment:

• emvee
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
    While I understand the practicality of them, but I think it is unfair (or whatever word or words you prefer) to change the rules for professional tournament plays.

Pros' errand shots saved by the gallery lining up the fairway or the grand stand surrounding the green is my biggest point of contention.

The outcome of many great tournaments probably would have changed had those grand stands surrounding hole were not there.

ps: I would like to hear the takes of the rules officials here on this topic.
    This is one of my peeves as well, although I don't think "change the rules for professional tournament play" is what you mean. The rules aren't "changed", but the environment where the rules are applied against is. I've lost balls in the middle of the fairway (think late October with lots of leaves falling) while you see a guy at The Open Championship hit it into the gorse and a search party of hundreds find it. I'd love to bring even a dozen friends to line the fairways and help me locate errant shots but I've been unable to find a course that allows spectators for public play.

I get the "playing the same game" notion with the rules of golf, but it just isn't.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,135   Posts: 1,863,023   Members: 47,778   Active Members: 327
Welcome to our newest member, sammartin8935.
Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
X