/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rulie
    replied
    Originally posted by golfingtime View Post

Case in point if a person hasn't filled a divot or raked the sand, one should be penalized?

Next time I'm stuck behing a boulder I'll just ask a dozen spectators to move it for me......
    It may be unfortunate but there is no penalty involved (unless you want to deem the ball unplayable).

Leave a comment:

• golfingtime
    replied
    Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

I agree. Rules are revised periodically, after much discussion and thought. It was decided not to allow free relief from divots and foot prints in bunkers, so players should just deal with it.
    Case in point if a person hasn't filled a divot or raked the sand, one should be penalized?

Next time I'm stuck behing a boulder I'll just ask a dozen spectators to move it for me......

Leave a comment:

• QuentinJJ
    replied
    Originally posted by ColinL View Post

Assuming I am a "ruile", this is just nonsense. Perhaps best not to talk about "bad" rules rather than rules which would benefit from revision,
    I agree. Rules are revised periodically, after much discussion and thought. It was decided not to allow free relief from divots and foot prints in bunkers, so players should just deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• ColinL
    replied

Please name one. The thing about "rulies" is they won't ever acknowledge bad rules, just that they must all be followed.
    Assuming I am a "rulie", this is just nonsense. Perhaps best not to talk about "bad" rules rather than rules which would benefit from revision,
    Last edited by ColinL; Aug 12, 2018, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rulie
    replied

Please name one. The thing about "rulies" is they won't ever acknowledge bad rules, just that they must all be followed.
    There are many on the PGA Tour, and many, many more playing daily. Did you watch the US Open this year, or the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits?
    "Rulies" are trained to know and apply the Rules, not to judge whether the Rules are good or bad.
    I don't understand posters who come to a Rules forum to bash those that know the Rules - must be out from under the bridge?

Leave a comment:

• golfingtime
    replied
    Originally posted by rulie View Post

I'd suggest dumb players!!!!

Leave a comment:

• rulie
    replied
    There are no dumb rules..... The Rulies has spoken!!!!!!
    I'd suggest dumb players!!!!

Leave a comment:

• golfingtime
    replied
    There are no dumb rules..... The Rulies has spoken!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ColinL
    replied
    Originally posted by AjaxGolf View Post
    I'm watching the highlights on Sports Centre, and they are showing Jon Rahm talking to an official about him touching his ball with his foot in the rough. Jon said he touched it but didn't move it. The rules official told him it was a penalty. The next words from Jon were classic "no one showed me where my ball was" Damn, now I wish there was someone to show me where my ball was every time I am in the rough...
    Hang on in there - it won't be long. From Jan 1st there won't be a penalty.

Leave a comment:

• AjaxGolf
    replied
    I'm watching the highlights on Sports Centre, and they are showing Jon Rahm talking to an official about him touching his ball with his foot in the rough. Jon said he touched it but didn't move it. The rules official told him it was a penalty. The next words from Jon were classic "no one showed me where my ball was" Damn, now I wish there was someone to show me where my ball was every time I am in the rough...

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by emvee View Post
    I think the fault line of play-it-where-it-lies vs rules-should-allow-relief is strongly correlated to playing on private/high-end public courses vs. public/munis. I'd bet you see a lot less of those other player-sourced causes of wanting to take relief on private/high-end public courses.
    Played with a buddy of mine at Lambton this morning. He was having a good round, but he found bunkers on six of the first nine holes! In any case, on one hole his ball ended up in a footprint. Before I could say anything, he took his shot and got out fairly well without really thinking about taking relief. An isolated incident, but perhaps illustrates the point made above.

Leave a comment:

• emvee
    replied
    Originally posted by AjaxGolf View Post

Yes, but I'm willing to bet that the only footprints in the trap belonged to the golfer who put the ball there. Because the ignorant person playing in front of you doesn't rake the trap is no reason you should be punished.
    I'll take the other side of that bet. I've seen my fair share of players (kids, those new to the game, those who just don't give a %&#*, etc.) walk right through bunkers among other things (stepping on lines, not fixing ball marks, not replacing divots, failing to rake quickly come to mind).

I think the fault line of play-it-where-it-lies vs rules-should-allow-relief is strongly correlated to playing on private/high-end public courses vs. public/munis. I'd bet you see a lot less of those other player-sourced causes of wanting to take relief on private/high-end public courses. Anyone want the other side of that bet?

I think the rules of golf are premised on that players would be respectful of the course and other players. That was probably a fair expectation for hundreds of years but probably a bit of stretch for the last decade or so,

Leave a comment:

• SkyMark
    replied
    Probably mentioned already, but repairing spike marks.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    I think the tennis scoring is simpler than that:

Because, French.

Leave a comment:

• aaagc
    replied
    Originally posted by Benz View Post

AFIK, the origins of how tennis is scored is that the intention was to use the a display that was similar to the face of a clock.

Perhaps '40' was used because announcing it only used two syllables rather than three for '45'.
    A theory is that the scoring nomenclature came from the French game jeu de paume (a precursor to tennis which initially used the hand instead of a racket). Jeu de paume was very popular before the French revolution, with more than 1,000 courts in Paris alone. The traditional court was 90 ft (pied du roi) in total with 45 ft on each side. When the server scored, he or she moved forward 15 ft. If the server scored again, he or she would move another 15 ft. If the server scored a third time, he or she could only move 10 ft closer

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,133   Posts: 1,862,994   Members: 47,777   Active Members: 330
Welcome to our newest member, Chrisoksana.
Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
X