/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny

Comment

Originally posted by snaphooker235 View Post
      Plan and simple
      Play out of divets in the fairway and foot prints in the bunkers
      There should be a free drop
      Fair enough. So, if you don't want to deal with your bad breaks, what about your good ones? That is, if your ball heads toward a wooded area but hits a tree and lands in the fairway, should you have to play it from the woods anyway?
      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

That's true for many people, which is exactly why the governing bodies should be encouraging the use of provisional balls rather than essentially limiting the potential penalty for a lost ball by allowing a somewhat generous drop in a fairway. IMO, if you can't see your ball land and/or if there is the slightest doubt about whether it will be found, then a provisional ball should be put into play.
        Benz, I feel like you regularly play with pretty good players. Most of the guys I play with are keen to follow the rules but honestly, they'd need to hit an ungodly number of provisionals to satisfy the slightest doubt criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Soft Hackle View Post

Benz, I feel like you regularly play with pretty good players. Most of the guys I play with are keen to follow the rules but honestly, they'd need to hit an ungodly number of provisionals to satisfy the slightest doubt criteria.
          Good point regarding the number of provisional balls, and it makes sense. However, between hitting a provisional and having to walk back to replay the stroke, I see a provisional as the lesser of two evils.

I have also realized that the reluctance to hit a provisional ball may be rooted in the common practice of losing a ball and then saying "I'll just play one from here.". Doing so usually results in a good lie on or near the fairway, and often under one penalty stroke rather than two. In other words, treating a ball that is lost as though it had entered a lateral hazard, and then dropping within 5-10 club lengths of the point-of-entry. Conversely, when you use a provisional you have to play it from wherever it landed, which may not be ideal.
          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

I don't think that using Rule 27, and hitting a provisional ball, should be described as "evil".

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
              I don't think that using Rule 27, and hitting a provisional ball, should be described as "evil".
              depends on how many times a round you hit one. Take a foursome of 20+ caps, put them on a wooded course and see how many provisionals they would have to hit if they actually played by the rules. Let's just say I wouldn't want to be behind them.
              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Fair enough. So, if you don't want to deal with your bad breaks, what about your good ones? That is, if your ball heads toward a wooded area but hits a tree and lands in the fairway, should you have to play it from the woods anyway?
                Thats an interesting way of putting it.

both are rub of the green and one MUST accept the good with the bad and play the ball as it lies. We recently watched the Open Championship where good shots could bounce and karem for many yards and end up in a bunker or poor lie, or a poor shot into the fescue could draw a nice lie......thats golf
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
                  In the minds of many, hitting a provisional is 'evil' because takes an extra few seconds and it's an admission that their ball is likely lost as the result of a bad shot. Rather than hitting a provisional, they will focus on looking for a ball and only find it some of the time. When they don't find the ball, they say "Well, I'm not going back, so I'll just play one from up here." on the basis that walking back to the original spot is a greater evil than hitting a provisional in the first place.
                  Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

both are rub of the green and one MUST accept the good with the bad and play the ball as it lies. We recently watched the Open Championship where good shots could bounce and karem for many yards and end up in a bunker or poor lie, or a poor shot into the fescue could draw a nice lie......thats golf
                    Agreed.

I don't agree with them, but I understand how people think that they should get relief from a divot or a footprint (especially). However, where does it end? A golf course is not supposed to be as consistent as a rink or a diamond or a pitch or a field. A golf course is supposed to be a semi-natural environment, and players must expect to get unfavourable lies and bounces every once in a while. It's part of the game.
                    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

so if you ball lands behind (or in) a ball mark on the green you don't get to fix it? Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

so if you ball lands behind (or in) a ball mark on the green you don't get to fix it? Of course you do.
                        Yes, because the rules allow you to do so, primarily because a ball mark on a green will affect a rolling ball far more than a footprint will affect a bunker shot or a divot affect a fairway shot.
                        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Yes, because the rules allow you to do so, primarily because a ball mark on a green will affect a rolling ball far more than a footprint will affect a bunker shot or a divot affect a fairway shot.
                          I understand the rules allow this. The impact of a ball mark (some are quite small) impacting a putt may or may not be greater than the impact of a ball in a divot. My point is it's not really a stretch to consider extending this to divots. It's my understanding that other damage such as spike marks will be allowed to be fixed in the new changes.

If you actually think of the term, Ground Under Repair - not in the golf sense, but in the literal sense, that's exactly what it is.

Comment

If you actually think of the term, Ground Under Repair - not in the golf sense, but in the literal sense, that's exactly what it is.
                            That is exactly what it isn't. There would be no issue if it had been repaired.
                            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Yes, but I'm willing to bet that the only footprints in the trap belonged to the golfer who put the ball there. Because the ignorant person playing in front of you doesn't rake the trap is no reason you should be punished.

Comment

I understand the rules allow this. The impact of a ball mark (some are quite small) impacting a putt may or may not be greater than the impact of a ball in a divot. My point is it's not really a stretch to consider extending this to divots. It's my understanding that other damage such as spike marks will be allowed to be fixed in the new changes.

You're right. It's not a stretch to consider a divot as an abnormal ground condition.
                                Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,232   Posts: 1,863,856   Members: 47,797   Active Members: 334
                                Welcome to our newest member, Shortty4.
                                Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X