/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post
    I am not even sure if I am going to articulate this properly but the only way I can describe it is the DOUBLE HIT off a chip on the fringe. I have no idea how i do this and on the same standpoint have no idea how to correct it but today I was chipping in some deep rough onto the green and on the follow through of the chip, the ball made contact with my club and my opponent said "in a tournament, that is a 2 stroke penalty." I am not saying its a stupid rule, i am saying I don't understand how it happens, how to correct it and most of all, how that would be a two stroke penalty.
    It won't be a penalty at all next year. But it is only a 1 stroke penalty at present (plus one for the stroke itself of course)
    Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
    - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Now for a rule that I think is stupid, is hitting your ball perfectly in the middle of a fairway and the ball stops in a horrible divot that was unfilled by a previous golfer and you are penalized by having to play your ball out of what I consider is a hazard for hitting your ball exactly where you are supposed to hit it!!! Now that is ridiculous... Just sayin!!!
      I wonder why no one else has said that?

Edit:
      They have? Where?

In the first post of this thread? Really, I hadn't noticed.
      Last edited by aaagc; Aug 5, 2018, 01:59 AM.
      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

I am not even sure if I am going to articulate this properly but the only way I can describe it is the DOUBLE HIT off a chip on the fringe. I have no idea how i do this and on the same standpoint have no idea how to correct it but today I was chipping in some deep rough onto the green and on the follow through of the chip, the ball made contact with my club and my opponent said "in a tournament, that is a 2 stroke penalty." I am not saying its a stupid rule, i am saying I don't understand how it happens, how to correct it and most of all, how that would be a two stroke penalty.
        Keep your clubhead low after contact. Short chips tend not to get the ball up quickly, so you have to keep your clubhead below the ball after contact.
        What's In The Bag:
        Driver: Callaway Flash 9.5*
        3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub 13.5*
        Utility(s): Callaway Rogue x 18*
        Irons: Cally Rogue x 5-AW
        Wedge: Cleveland Forged 588 60*
        Putter: Scotty Newport 2

WITB FLA:
        Same as Above

Comment

• Having to play out of a footprint in a bunker because some DUMBASS considers himself or herself much too good of a player to have to rack a sand trap. And luckly for them them didn't have to play out a foot ptint

Comment

Now for a rule that I think is stupid, is hitting your ball perfectly in the middle of a fairway and the ball stops in a horrible divot that was unfilled by a previous golfer and you are penalized by having to play your ball out of what I consider is a hazard for hitting your ball exactly where you are supposed to hit it!!! Now that is ridiculous... Just sayin!!!
            Which rule in the book is the one that offends you and how would you rewrite it?

Comment

• Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post

Interesting seque into non connected territory. If I slice it in the woods I deserve to stay in the woods, if I hit it into the fairway I should be hitting off grass not fill.
              If you're playing on a fairway that has already been played on by other players, then it's not unreasonable to expect divots. It's part of the game.

The basic premise of 'play the course as you find it' is more important than anyone's sense of what is 'fair' or what they should expect.
              Sage of the GTA...

Comment

• Originally posted by Benz View Post

If you're playing on a fairway that has already been played on by other players, then it's not unreasonable to expect divots. It's part of the game.

The basic premise of 'play the course as you find it' is more important than anyone's sense of what is 'fair' or what they should expect.
                Agreed. Play it as it lies is a basic characteristic of the game.

Comment

• For the "play to as it lies" crowd. How do you condemn the idea of moving the ball back an inch or two from a divot or footprint, but condone taking relief from cart paths? Or maybe you don't? I'm not saying this as an attack in any way, I'm literally lay looking for the thought process.

Comment

• Originally posted by Left behind View Post
                    For the "play to as it lies" crowd. How do you condemn the idea of moving the ball back an inch or two from a divot or footprint, but condone taking relief from cart paths? Or maybe you don't? I'm not saying this as an attack in any way, I'm literally lay looking for the thought process.
                    AFIK, relief from a cart path is taken in order to avoid damaging a club during a stroke.
                    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

For the "play to as it lies" crowd. How do you condemn the idea of moving the ball back an inch or two from a divot or footprint, but condone taking relief from cart paths? Or maybe you don't? I'm not saying this as an attack in any way, I'm literally lay looking for the thought process.
                      same thing with casual water. Or staked trees. Or flowerbeds. Or trashcans. Or grandstands. Or drain covers. Or sprinkler heads. Or a bees nest.
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

same thing with casual water. Or staked trees. Or flowerbeds. Or trashcans. Or grandstands. Or drain covers. Or sprinkler heads. Or a bees nest.
                        Or divots, Or footprints. Hit a perfect shot in the fairway, but nestle up to a sprinkler head and you get a drop. Hit a perfect shot if the fairway, and nestle up into a divot tough ****. I don't follow the logic.

Comment

AFIK, relief from a cart path is taken in order to avoid damaging a club during a stroke.
                          Tough luck on the club damage, play it as it lies.... I don't actually agree with this, but fail to see the difference.
                          Last edited by Left behind; Aug 5, 2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

The origins of golf are in 'natural' environments, and the fundaments of the game (e.g. play the course as you find it) are rooted in them. Given this, staked trees, flowerbeds, trashcans, grandstands, drain covers and sprinkler heads are not 'natural' elements but instead are artificial elements added to said environments. It's not unreasonable to get relief from such elements, especially if playing from or near them could damage a club and/or risk injury to the player.

As for the bees nest, that's obvious.
                            Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Tough luck on the club damage, play it as it lies....
                              You first...
                              Sage of the GTA...

Comment

The origins of golf are in 'natural' environments, and the fundaments of the game (e.g. play the course as you find it) are rooted in them. Given this, staked trees, flowerbeds, trashcans, grandstands, drain covers and sprinkler heads are not 'natural' elements but instead are artificial elements added to said environments. It's not unreasonable to get relief from such elements, especially if playing from or near them could damage a club and/or risk injury to the player.

As for the bees nest, that's obvious.
                                Good answer. It seems that some people want the game to be completely fair, but IMO the game is not meant to be completely fair. One of the beautiful aspects of the game is the rub of the green; the bad bounces and the bad luck, and the ability to over come those bad bounces and the bad luck.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 175,991   Posts: 1,846,229   Members: 47,520   Active Members: 263
                                Welcome to our newest member, bestbloger.
                                Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X