Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post

Only Rulies make it difficult. Hit it into a divot in the fairway, pick it up, lift to shoulder height and drop beside. You are not fluffing the lie or placing it gently down, just dropping it in the fairway that you just hit.....

Geez you guys love turning it into something complex.
    I suspect you are contradicting yourself. Picking a ball up and dropping it correctly from shoulder height, knowing the 10 or so conditions listed in Rule 20-2c which require a re-drop if your ball rolls into any of them, knowing that you must place the ball if it happens again.... that's complex. Selecting a club and hitting a ball lying in a divot hole is simple: take up your stance and whack it. It might not be so simple to do a good job of hitting it; but that's true of any golf shot.

Your ball takes an akward bounce in the middle of the fairway and ends up in a bunker. Free relief from the bunker because your ball should have ended up on the fairway? If you have never played a links course you haven't a full experience of "unfair" bounces and rolls

Comment

Plenty of luck good & bad in golf. However to answer your post, no a fairway means you hit it where you were supposed to. I clip the ball and a divot is a mistake, which makes hitting out of one even harder.

Add to that often a divot on a public course is a result of golfers not replacing or filling them properly.
      Divots occur at private clubs too.
      Same as ball marks on greens.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
        I know you're kinda kidding but...

If the divot splits in 2 or 3 pieces, you'd still hit out of the divot with your rule.

You're okay with hitting out of a divot that's 2cm deep?

Will the rules change to allow DMDs? (Depth Measuring Devices)

A divot that's 2/3 replaced leaves a mini-divot. Gotta hit out of that too?

Thinking about it, we're almost on the same page here....
        I'm not kidding. I don't play at high end clubs. Every day I play I see divots like this, sometimes on the tee.

Yeah, divots that have been repaired and something that is a few centimeters is no issue to me.
        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by kich View Post

Divots occur at private clubs too.
          Same as ball marks on greens.
          My bad..... Yes they do but most Private members are a little more observant as to repaiing them and many email reminders sent to fix them.

Comment

Really picking it up and dropping beside the divot is so tough. Pros that we watch all play perfectly manicured courses where divots and prpoerlp tended to. Hitting a divot for them is a nuisance bit no big deal.
            Have you ever attended a Pro Tour level event?. Check the ground on the fairway from where they take the approach shots. There are more divot holes than you can shake a stick at. Their chances of hitting one during a round are far greater than yours in a lifetime. It could of course be a $$$$$ nuisance if they hadn't learnt how to play them.

But you still haven't defined how to identify one.
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
              The 5 minute rule. Should be 2. Especially when you start looking 100 yards ahead of where everyone saw you land.
              I think it becomes 3 minutes in January.

As for being in a divot, how about being allowed to replace the sod that should be there and then place your ball back on that grass. If the sod piece is not handy, then sand fill the divot and then replace your ball. In either case, still not as easy a shot as being on undisturbed turf, but you are in a lie that should have been that way before you took your previous shot. In any case, unless you are playing a tournament round, you can do what ever you want during a practice round. As long as most of the holes are played under RoG, the round can be entered for h/c purposes.

The dumbest RoG is decision 26-1/4

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post

I'm not kidding. I don't play at high end clubs. Every day I play I see divots like this, sometimes on the tee.

Yeah, divots that have been repaired and something that is a few centimeters is no issue to me.
                You're okay with playing out of a few centimetres, but not out of an inch?

You need a refresher on measurements, then we can get back to talking about rules!

You may want to re-read the other scenarios I gave, as I don't think you understood the contradictions with your approach.

I'll also toss out that you generally don't have to play out of a divot on the tee.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

The dumbest RoG is decision 26-1/4
                  I wonder why you say that. In 26-1/4 you have a fact and an unwarranted assumption. The fact is that the player does not know where his ball is. The unwarranted assumption is that it is in the water hazard. The player acts on the unwarranted assumption instead of the fact and is penalised for doing so. What's dumb about that?

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
                    My vote is for one that's new to me: you're only allowed to post about etiquette that is specifically covered in the rules of golf in the rules and etiquette section.
                    We are permitted to express our opinions here - you'll just have to get over it. However, it is supposedly a Golf Rules and Golf Etiquette forum.

Comment

Not the point...... A ridiculous rule.

3 off the tee vs. unplayable and get a drop also irks me (not that I do it).....
                      Can you please be more specific? I'm not sure I understand the two things you're comparing.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                        Came up during our trip to Michigan, and I wholeheartedly agree...

Having to hit a shot out of a divot
                        Playing it as it lies has become the dumbest rule in golf, unnecessarily creating rule complexity and unfairness. If you come to rest in a fairway, you have earned the best lie within a square foot. We no longer play in sheep fields. It is supposed to be a fairway, not an unfairway!

Comment

The divot issue has some merit. AFIK, Nicklaus advocated free relief only from sand-filled divots.

Comment

What's the divot per round ratio? I hit out of a bad one Sunday. Don't remember the last one and I'm unemployed so play more than average. So do I lose 3 shots a year? Tough luck. What game doesn't involve some luck to go with the skill?

Comment

As for other dumb rules, I would like to see the elimination of loss-of-hole penalties in match play.

IMO, it's unfair for one player to win a hole just because his opponent committed any one of several infractions.
                              Play a hole using the same penalty structure as in stroke-play, and low score wins. Simple.

Comment

If I'm falling as I enter a bunker to play my shot, and I use my club to break my fall, is that really "testing the sand"
                                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X