What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Benz View Post

OK, but where does it end?

If your ball hits a rake and then bounces into a bunker because someone left the rake in a bad spot, should you get a free drop outside the bunker?
    Rakes left in a bad spot are not caused by ignorant golfers. Footprints in sand traps are. The day I see a pro play out of someone else foot print is the day I will too. BTW there are days when I'm in a lot more than 3 or 4 traps. In the morning they are good. If your golfing in the afternoon, not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

John, you may be fighting a losing battle here, but I am with you. Golf, and life, are not fair, take the good with the bad, follow but don't "interpret" the rules, it is usually a wash in the end anyway.

I played a poor shot out of a divot this week, and blamed my lack of skill rather than the anonymous inconsiderate player.
      And rightfully so, divots are not a rare thing, I play out of them all the time whether they are filled or the divot replaced, or still just dirt. You won't ever convince me that making a bad shot or any shot when you're 2 inches down in a footprint is lack of skill.

Comment

• The one that has me blown away as a competitive player is what can be replaced on a green!!!
        Ball marks and old holes, thats about it, can't touch the foot traffic.

If golf is a game about equity for the field how can you say that I guy playing in the morning vs the afternoon is playing the same golf course.

3 and 4 day events (like on tour) yes, you'll play on both sides of the draw, but 2 and 1 day events nope.

Especially with most of our qualifying events in Canada only being 18 holes, I never understood this. Throw in some weather day of, or days prior and shaft greens its like putting on a plinko board late in the day.

Thankfully the powers that be have come to their senses and this rule will be changed next year.

sidenote - believe me when I tell you, soft spikes, make a lot more of a mess than metal spikes did. Metal spikes were at least one puncture hole per spike you could get your way around it if you had to. Softspikes have 4-6 points of contact per spike, all causing depressions in a circular fashion in 5-7 places on one footprint. Trust me, in a tournament of 100+ guys all spending lots of time around the hole reading greens, it can be a mess.

Comment

• late jumping in here, but having to play out of a divot, replace, refilled or whatever is just not fair. I hit a great drive, which happens to land in a poorly repaired section of fairway, and get penalized. That is not rub of the green, that is crap.
          WITB
          9.5 Nike Covert
          15 TM Rocketballz
          3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
          52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
          TM White Smoke

Comment

• Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
            late jumping in here, but having to play out of a divot, replace, refilled or whatever is just not fair. I hit a great drive, which happens to land in a poorly repaired section of fairway, and get penalized. That is not rub of the green, that is crap.
            Life, and golf, is full of challenges. Just play on and accept it as a challenge. The quality of the shot is irrelevant - maybe the tee shot was not as perfect as you thought?
            As someone said - hit ball, find ball, hit ball again. Repeat until holed.

Comment

• Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
              late jumping in here, but having to play out of a divot, replace, refilled or whatever is just not fair. I hit a great drive, which happens to land in a poorly repaired section of fairway, and get penalized. That is not rub of the green, that is crap.
              You're in a match. Your opponent slices his tee shot into a wooded area and just misses a tree, but the ball does not come out. You slice your tee shot into the same wooded area, but the ball hits a tree and deflects back into the fairway.
              Was that fair to your opponent? If so, why? If not, why not?

Comment

• Interesting perspective..
                My game is rubbish with shades of brilliance.

Comment

• I'd like to start by thanking all of you Nuts for talking about the divot thing because look what happened to me today. #8 at Copetown. Hit a 3 wood to lay up in front of the water. Stripe the ball straight down the middle....cue the loser game show music... as I got rewarded with....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copetown.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	2838086

I immediately thought of this thread and ended up thinning my next shot over the green and had to come back over those pine trees. So my efforts resulted with a triple But such is life. Gotta play it as it lies.
                  What's in the bag?
                  TM M2
                  Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                  PING Sigma G Putter
                  Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

• Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                    I'd like to start by thanking all of you Nuts for talking about the divot thing because look what happened to me today. #8 at Copetown. Hit a 3 wood to lay up in front of the water. Stripe the ball straight down the middle....cue the loser game show music... as I got rewarded with....

I immediately thought of this thread and ended up thinning my next shot over the green and had to come back over those pine trees. So my efforts resulted with a triple But such is life. Gotta play it as it lies.
                    Agreed - sometimes tough luck happens, sometimes good luck happens. However, people remember the tough luck, and just accept the good breaks as normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                      I'd like to start by thanking all of you Nuts for talking about the divot thing because look what happened to me today. #8 at Copetown. Hit a 3 wood to lay up in front of the water. Stripe the ball straight down the middle....cue the loser game show music... as I got rewarded with....

I've hit my fair share of thin shots in my life, but...

OVER the trees OVER the green?

You sir, are my hero!
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by rulie View Post

Agreed - sometimes tough luck happens, sometimes good luck happens. However, people remember the tough luck, and just accept the good breaks as normal.
                        absolutely. there are countless good bounces that we get that we accept as the "norm". I've had shots heading to the trees and bounce back into the fairway. It is what it is.

I don't disagree though that it can be frustrating when another golfer can "fq up" things for us. Footprints in bunkers are unfortunate because of lazy people. My ball hit a rake inside a bunker and when I moved the rake, my ball sat where it was and it was a horrible lie versus had the rake been outside the bunker (where it belongs), my ball would've rolled to the bottom of the bunker and I would've had a better shot. But you can't account for dummies unfortunately.
                        What's in the bag?
                        TM M2
                        PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I've hit my fair share of thin shots in my life, but...

OVER the trees OVER the green?

You sir, are my hero!
                          don't let the pic fool you. I was about 85 yards out from there.
                          What's in the bag?
                          TM M2
                          PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

• Originally posted by Benz View Post

You're in a match. Your opponent slices his tee shot into a wooded area and just misses a tree, but the ball does not come out. You slice your tee shot into the same wooded area, but the ball hits a tree and deflects back into the fairway.
                            Was that fair to your opponent? If so, why? If not, why not?
                            Interesting seque into non connected territory. If I slice it in the woods I deserve to stay in the woods, if I hit it into the fairway I should be hitting off grass not fill.
                            WITB
                            9.5 Nike Covert
                            15 TM Rocketballz
                            3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                            52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                            TM White Smoke

Comment

• I am not even sure if I am going to articulate this properly but the only way I can describe it is the DOUBLE HIT off a chip on the fringe. I have no idea how i do this and on the same standpoint have no idea how to correct it but today I was chipping in some deep rough onto the green and on the follow through of the chip, the ball made contact with my club and my opponent said "in a tournament, that is a 2 stroke penalty." I am not saying its a stupid rule, i am saying I don't understand how it happens, how to correct it and most of all, how that would be a two stroke penalty.
                              WITB (LH):
                              Driver - Ping G430 Max / Motore F3
                              Wood and Hybrids - TM Mini Driver 13.5 / Ping G430 3 and 5 hybrid.
                              Irons - PXG Gen 5 / MMT80
                              Wedges - Sugar Daddy II
                              Putter - PXG Closer / Stability Pro
                              Ball - Tour Response Stripe

Comment

• Now for a rule that I think is stupid, is hitting your ball perfectly in the middle of a fairway and the ball stops in a horrible divot that was unfilled by a previous golfer and you are penalized by having to play your ball out of what I consider is a hazard for hitting your ball exactly where you are supposed to hit it!!! Now that is ridiculous... Just sayin!!!
                                WITB (LH):
                                Driver - Ping G430 Max / Motore F3
                                Wood and Hybrids - TM Mini Driver 13.5 / Ping G430 3 and 5 hybrid.
                                Irons - PXG Gen 5 / MMT80
                                Wedges - Sugar Daddy II
                                Putter - PXG Closer / Stability Pro
                                Ball - Tour Response Stripe

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...