/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rulie
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

That's one way of looking at it. I see them as intertwined.
    I don't. The Rules speak often of the "Committee" and Committee is a defined term in the Rules - either the Committee in charge of the course or the Committee in charge of the competition. Further Rule 33 outlines the responsibilities and authorities of the Committee.
    If the club or competition doesn't have a Committee, that's on the club, not the Rules.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffc
    replied
    Originally posted by rulie View Post

That's not a Rules of golf problem - it's a local club problem.
    That's one way of looking at it. I see them as intertwined.

Leave a comment:

• aaagc
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post
    I heard today from a gentlemen we played a freezing cold round of golf with at Station Creek that his pro told him that the infamous double hit off a chip on the fringe is NO LONGER a penalty. Does someone care to verify this because I am the king of the accidental double hit chip and that would be great for my money games. LOL!!!
    The Rule is changing from Jan 2019.

10.1a. Fairly Striking the Ball
    In making a stroke:
    The player must fairly strike at the ball with the head of the club such that there is only momentary contact between the club and the ball and must not push, scrape or scoop the ball.
    If the player's club accidentally hits the ball more than once, there has been only one stroke and there is no penalty.
    Last edited by aaagc; Nov 5, 2018, 04:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Golden Domer
    replied
    I heard today from a gentlemen we played a freezing cold round of golf with at Station Creek that his pro told him that the infamous double hit off a chip on the fringe is NO LONGER a penalty. Does someone care to verify this because I am the king of the accidental double hit chip and that would be great for my money games. LOL!!!

Leave a comment:

• rulie
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

that's a big assumption that there is an active committee and they actually post and inform all people playing that this is the case. My experience is this is non-existent.
    That's not a Rules of golf problem - it's a local club problem.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffc
    replied
    Originally posted by rulie View Post

The Rules of golf provide an authorized local Rule for the Committee to implement. It's a local Committee decision.
    that's a big assumption that there is an active committee and they actually post and inform all people playing that this is the case. My experience is this is non-existent.

Leave a comment:

• rulie
    replied
    Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

How about not finding balls hit smack in the middle of the fairway because of an abundance of leaves? We always play it as Abnormal Ground Condition aka The Canadian Leaf rule. Just drop one and play on. It would not be so bad if the Handicap season ended on Sept 30 instead of Oct 31.
    The Rules of golf provide an authorized local Rule for the Committee to implement. It's a local Committee decision.

Leave a comment:

• wlorcb
    replied
    Originally posted by ColinL View Post
    If it's the Canadian Leaf Rule, does it only apply to a ball lost in maple leaves?
    Only on the classic Thompson designs. The rest of us take relief from maple, oak, ash, beech, walnut, poplar.

Leave a comment:

• ColinL
    replied
    If it's the Canadian Leaf Rule, does it only apply to a ball lost in maple leaves?

Leave a comment:

• wlorcb
    replied
    [QUOTE=SmoothBomber;n2883626leaves littering the course making finding balls just off the fairway really difficult. [/QUOTE]

How about not finding balls hit smack in the middle of the fairway because of an abundance of leaves? We always play it as Abnormal Ground Condition aka The Canadian Leaf rule. Just drop one and play on. It would not be so bad if the Handicap season ended on Sept 30 instead of Oct 31.

Leave a comment:

• SmoothBomber
    replied
    I hate this rule of going back to the tee or taking 2 stroke penalty on a lost ball that is clearly in play. This happens a ton around this time of year with leaves littering the course making finding balls just off the fairway really difficult. We dont have marshals or a gallery to point out our ball to us so I think this rule is just bad. OB I understand, drop a ball and play your 4th (ugh), but a cpl yards off the fairway and unfindable shouldnt incur the same penalty imo

fwiw I hate hit out of divots rule too but to this day one of my best ever shots came out of a narrow and deep divot, just wider than the ball with about a third (if not more) of the ball below the surface of the fairway. I took 2 extra clubs and hammered down jarring my hands but got it to 3 feet for my most satisfying birdie ever.... so hitting out of divots grew on me, but still sux
    Last edited by SmoothBomber; Oct 31, 2018, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied

That's correct - it's an optional rule for a club/course to adopt if it wishes. I wasn't clear enough about that. But it also sanctions what a huge number of players do in their social golf anyway and if it results in more of those adding on a 2 stroke penalty rather than just one, it will be a step forward!
    My concern is with potential abuse of the provisional ball under this new rule. While I understand that the new rule cannot be applied in conjunction with using a provisional ball, I suspect that there will be some odd 'interpretations' of this constraint.

For example, a player hits his ball poorly and it ends up in an area where it will probably be lost, so he hits a provisional ball.
    In one instance, the provisional ball is well hit, so the player does not even look for his original ball before proceeding with the provisional ball. In another instance, the provisional ball is not well hit and may be lost as well, at which time the player applies the new local rule and plays his fourth from the fairway. However, he's not allowed to apply the new local rule if he's hit a provisional ball, so he has breached the relevant rules.

My concerns lay in a situation where the player hits a provisional but it ends up (playable) in a poor spot. After determining that his original ball is lost, and rather than playing the provisional ball (as he should), the player applies the new local rule and drops in the fairway (as he should not). This approach essentially provides the player with a choice of which ball to play, which is contrary to one of the basic fundamentals of the game.

I can't say that these scenarios would occur frequently. However, given the current misunderstandings about the rule (local versus general; one shot penalty versus two), I strongly suspect that most people will overlook or not know about the specific restrictions regarding provisional balls.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied

That's correct - it's an optional rule for a club/course to adopt if it wishes. I wasn't clear enough about that. But it also sanctions what a huge number of players do in their social golf anyway and if it results in more of those adding on a 2 stroke penalty rather than just one, it will be a step forward!
    A nice thought, but I believe the large majority of those who ignored the previous rule will ignore the new one.

"I'll just take a stroke and drop it about here....."

Leave a comment:

• ColinL
    replied
    Originally posted by Benz View Post

AFIK, the course may adopt the local rule. If the course has not done so, players can't adopt it unilaterally. I suspect that this will be a sticking point for a lot of people who post scores for handicap if they assume that this new rule is general rather than local (which must be adopted).

As for this rule in particular, my understand is that the ball may be dropped on the fairway at a point no closer to the hole than where the original ball is likely to be.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by MK7GTI View Post

My buddies and I already do this as a time saver. Just get on with it. I play most of my rounds during twlight or hot deals on golf now. Never once have I come across someone who plays golf strictly by the rules.
    Fair enough. However, if some people are going to post scores for official handicaps, then they must follow a uniform set of rules. Ditto for an organized tournament, especially if prizes are on the line. That said, if a group of guys want to go out and play among themselves, then let them set their own rules.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 178,606   Posts: 1,875,010   Members: 48,112   Active Members: 450
Welcome to our newest member, Ed29.
Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...