X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giller31
    replied
    Originally posted by Soft Hackle View Post

Of course a player should hit a provisional if the ball may not be found. Have you never lost a ball you were sure would be found coming off the tee? I'm not saying it happens every round but I've seen it enough times to appreciate the upcoming change. As long as we have some integrity about it - we should lose yardage as often as gain it. The folks who search for their ball 50 yards from it's resting place aren't likely to break 100 anyway.
    I agree.
    This very thing happened to me in my league at Lowville. I hit a ball a bit right off the tee on #2 and #9 fairway is to the right. There are some smaller spruce trees, but I watched my ball and it cleared some trees (I just couldn't see it land). Walked down and spent 5 minutes looking for it. Because it's league play, had to walk back to the tee where the next group was waiting and had to hit one.

It didn't occur to me to hit a provisional as there was absolutely no reason for me to believe that I wouldn't have found my ball.

Leave a comment:

• Soft Hackle
    replied
    Originally posted by Benz View Post

I understand your point regarding the walk back to the tee, however the situation you describe is exactly why a player should hit a provisional ball. Hitting a provisional ball may add 30 seconds to the time spent on the tee, and it's been part of the rules for decades. However, many people either don't know about it or don't understand how it works.

As for getting a 'bonus', that simply doesn't hold water. Allowing a player to estimate where he lost his ball is only going to benefit those who are prepared to abuse it at the expense of those who are not. That's not how golf works.
    Of course a player should hit a provisional if the ball may not be found. Have you never lost a ball you were sure would be found coming off the tee? I'm not saying it happens every round but I've seen it enough times to appreciate the upcoming change. As long as we have some integrity about it - we should lose yardage as often as gain it. The folks who search for their ball 50 yards from it's resting place aren't likely to break 100 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied

What if there is still a group on the green? Don't get me wrong, I see your point (all too often), but believe me, I'm not that guy.
    Good point.

I'm all in favour of waving faster groups through at any point during a round (not just on the tee) if there is somewhere for them to go.

That said, I won't wave a group through if it only means that they will then have to keep waiting in front of me rather than continuing to wait behind me.

Leave a comment:

• Soft Hackle
    replied
    Originally posted by stevedimebag View Post

if you're looking for a ball whilst there's a group waiting on the tee then that should be the time to let them through! never mind if you are taking the walk of shame.

Having just been over the pond and played a good few games of golf, it astounds me the lack of etiquette over there when it comes to letting through those behind you if they are playing faster ( i.e. 4 ball not letting through a 2 ball when there is plenty of space in front of them).
    What if there is still a group on the green? Don't get me wrong, I see your point (all too often), but believe me, I'm not that guy.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied

Cheaters are going to cheat anyways. Have you never lost a ball and wondered 'how the heck do you lose a ball here'? After you've spent a couple minutes looking, it's often not practical to go back to the tee at a busy public course. I've done the walk of shame a few times but I wouldn't do it if a group was already waiting on the tee. Besides, if someone gets a bonus 50 yds for their 2 strokes, it's still not that great of a 'deal'.
    I understand your point regarding the walk back to the tee, however the situation you describe is exactly why a player should hit a provisional ball. Hitting a provisional ball may add 30 seconds to the time spent on the tee, and it's been part of the rules for decades. However, many people either don't know about it or don't understand how it works.

As for getting a 'bonus', that simply doesn't hold water. Allowing a player to estimate where he lost his ball is only going to benefit those who are prepared to abuse it at the expense of those who are not. That's not how golf works.

Leave a comment:

• stevedimebag
    replied

Cheaters are going to cheat anyways. Have you never lost a ball and wondered 'how the heck do you lose a ball here'? After you've spent a couple minutes looking, it's often not practical to go back to the tee at a busy public course. I've done the walk of shame a few times but I wouldn't do it if a group was already waiting on the tee. Besides, if someone gets a bonus 50 yds for their 2 strokes, it's still not that great of a 'deal'.
    if you're looking for a ball whilst there's a group waiting on the tee then that should be the time to let them through! never mind if you are taking the walk of shame.

Having just been over the pond and played a good few games of golf, it astounds me the lack of etiquette over there when it comes to letting through those behind you if they are playing faster ( i.e. 4 ball not letting through a 2 ball when there is plenty of space in front of them).

Leave a comment:

• Soft Hackle
    replied

Understood.

I hate nothing (not even loud music on the course) more than slow play. That said, this particular new rule was not necessary and will be severely abused, therefore IMO it qualifies as somewhat 'dumb'.

Most players don't play by the rules anyway. Those that do play by the rules usually have the presence of mind to hit a provisional ball (thus maintaining pace of play by eliminating the need to return to a spot to replay a stroke). So, rather than adding new rules, why did the governing bodies not simply adopt a campaign to enlighten and encourage use of existing rules that were designed expressly to accomplish the stated goals of the new rules?

I would expect that many players will not check to see if the course on which they're playing has adopted the appropriate local rule. Instead, they will simply assume that the new rules apply everywhere at all times.

The fact that the rule allows the player to 'approximate' (my term) where the original ball lay and then take relief based on said approximation is just going to be widely abused in favour of the player. As mentioned earlier in this thread, how many times have we all seen someone searching for a ball in an area nowhere near where the ball was ultimately found. Why would a player not 'approximate' that his ball was 50 yards further down the fairway if he knows that he will get a better drop by doing so? This rule has made facts (i.e. ball IS lost or ball IS out of bounds) irrelevant in favour of an estimate made by the player himself.
    Introducing this approach makes the concept of the rigour that has been applied to 'KVC' somewhat quaint.

It will be years (if ever) before players realize that proper application of this rule includes a two-stroke penalty, not one. For example, after dropping a ball for a lost tee shot, the player will be making his fourth stroke (not his third) from the fairway. So, unless the specific requirements of this rule (i.e. procedures and penalty) are made clear, then there is a risk of a perception taking root that the new penalties for lost and OB are the same as those for a lateral hazard (i.e. point of entry and one stroke).

Finally, as I have stated when this new rule was announced, I believe that its true goal is to make the game easier by 1) limiting the impact on a player's score of a lost ball or a ball out of bounds, and 2) allowing a player to use his own judgement rather than facts to determine how he should proceed under the rules. If nothing else, the fact that the new rule specifies that a player gets to drop in the fairway would indicate that it's more about 'ease of play' rather than 'pace of play'. Just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• Chambokl
    replied
    Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
    I will vote for the double hit rule for worst. At least that one is going to change. I don’t mind the divot thing - all part of the imperfect state that defines golf
    I have never understand that one neither . . . happy it is changing even though I don't remember ever having a double hit . . .

Leave a comment:

• aaagc
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

Hmmm, I was told otherwise....someone owes me a stroke.
    See the exceptions to Rule 13-4

Provided nothing is done that constitutes testing the condition of the hazard or improves the lie of the ball, there is no penalty if the player (a) touches the ground or loose impediments in any hazard or water in a water hazard as a result of or to prevent falling, .........................

If someone 'tells' you a rule you didn't know, check it out. There's a 50/50 chance they are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Big Shooter
    replied
    Originally posted by aaagc View Post

No. And there is no penalty for doing so. Perhaps it would be worth checking the rule
    Hmmm, I was told otherwise....someone owes me a stroke.

Leave a comment:

• Galted
    replied
    I have never seen golf rules lean toward ease of play. Most are trying to make rules more important than actual strokes taken. Ease of play would have made it one stroke penalty like other hazards.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by ColinL View Post

It will.
    Understood.

I hate nothing (not even loud music on the course) more than slow play. That said, this particular new rule was not necessary and will be severely abused, therefore IMO it qualifies as somewhat 'dumb'.

Most players don't play by the rules anyway. Those that do play by the rules usually have the presence of mind to hit a provisional ball (thus maintaining pace of play by eliminating the need to return to a spot to replay a stroke). So, rather than adding new rules, why did the governing bodies not simply adopt a campaign to enlighten and encourage use of existing rules that were designed expressly to accomplish the stated goals of the new rules?

I would expect that many players will not check to see if the course on which they're playing has adopted the appropriate local rule. Instead, they will simply assume that the new rules apply everywhere at all times.

The fact that the rule allows the player to 'approximate' (my term) where the original ball lay and then take relief based on said approximation is just going to be widely abused in favour of the player. As mentioned earlier in this thread, how many times have we all seen someone searching for a ball in an area nowhere near where the ball was ultimately found. Why would a player not 'approximate' that his ball was 50 yards further down the fairway if he knows that he will get a better drop by doing so? This rule has made facts (i.e. ball IS lost or ball IS out of bounds) irrelevant in favour of an estimate made by the player himself.
    Introducing this approach makes the concept of the rigour that has been applied to 'KVC' somewhat quaint.

It will be years (if ever) before players realize that proper application of this rule includes a two-stroke penalty, not one. For example, after dropping a ball for a lost tee shot, the player will be making his fourth stroke (not his third) from the fairway. So, unless the specific requirements of this rule (i.e. procedures and penalty) are made clear, then there is a risk of a perception taking root that the new penalties for lost and OB are the same as those for a lateral hazard (i.e. point of entry and one stroke).

Finally, as I have stated when this new rule was announced, I believe that its true goal is to make the game easier by 1) limiting the impact on a player's score of a lost ball or a ball out of bounds, and 2) allowing a player to use his own judgement rather than facts to determine how he should proceed under the rules. If nothing else, the fact that the new rule specifies that a player gets to drop in the fairway would indicate that it's more about 'ease of play' rather than 'pace of play'. Just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• ColinL
    replied

I was aware of the new rule (assuming that a given course employs the appropriate local rule) regarding a lost ball. However, I am not sure whether said rule applies to a ball which comes to rest out of bounds.
    It will.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by ColinL View Post
    Next year there will be a local rule available allowing you to drop a ball near where it went out of bounds or was lost at a cost of 2 strokes.
    I was aware of the new rule (assuming that a given course employs the appropriate local rule) regarding a lost ball. However, I am not sure whether said rule applies to a ball which comes to rest out of bounds.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
    If I'm falling as I enter a bunker to play my shot, and I use my club to break my fall, is that really "testing the sand"
    No, it isn't, therefore it's not a penalty.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X