X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fredk
    replied
    Originally posted by aaagc View Post

Define a divot (hole) so that everyone knows what one is or isn't.
    A big brown gash in the lovely green turf 1" deep or deeper with a similarly sized chunk of turf not more than five paces from said gash.

I don't like the idea of being punished for another persons laziness. Same goes for craters in sand traps, not that golf Golf North has anything resembling sand traps any more.

Leave a comment:

• stevedimebag
    replied
    What is the recommended solution to the divot 'issue'?

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    I also think there's a distinct Euro vs. US split on this.

NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB.... all full of slow-mo replays and clocks counting down by 1/10s of a second to ensure accuracy and "fairness".

The biggest sport in Europe? Soccer (aka Football)? A couple of guys running on the sides eyeballing offside calls. Stoppage time? Up to the ref's discretion when to call it. Shootouts? None in NHL playoffs, but a once-every-four-years WC final? Let's go to penalty kicks to settle this, before it gets too late.

Ref's judgement alone decides red and yellow cards or just a foul. The escalation and subjective judgement are very similar to Flagrant Fouls One and Two in NBA, but.... NBA refs will often spend a lot of time watching the video review to determine the appropriate level. I don't watch a lot of soccer, but I don't recall seeing that there.

As Canadians, we are pulled in both directions. On this one, I'll side with my Scottish ancestors and the inventors of the game. Play it as it lies....

Leave a comment:

• bobby Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by elmeroil View Post
    For me definitely hitting a great drive down the middle of the fairway and landing in a divot. Even Tiger thinks you should be able to get a free drop. If one of the greatest golfers of all time thinks the rule should be changed then I'd say it's a legit argument.
    Nicklaus too!

Add me to the list agreeing to this.

Leave a comment:

• bcampb00
    replied
    Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
    My vote is for one that's new to me: you're only allowed to post about etiquette that is specifically covered in the rules of golf in the rules and etiquette section.
    LOL’s

Leave a comment:

• Jeffc
    replied
    Originally posted by ninja View Post
    Landing in casual water is bad luck, but provisions have been made to deal with that.
    Same with ball marks on greens and soon to be spike marks. It's not really a stretch to include divots

Leave a comment:

• 4underthru9
    replied
    Why not play Pick Clean and Place or Pick Clean and Cheat as Jack once or more said.

They don't seem to waste much time making a decision when they have the rule in place on the Tour.

As for aaagc's reply learn to live with them; as they are mostly short and curt.

Leave a comment:

• elmeroil
    replied
    For me definitely hitting a great drive down the middle of the fairway and landing in a divot. Even Tiger thinks you should be able to get a free drop. If one of the greatest golfers of all time thinks the rule should be changed then I'd say it's a legit argument.

Leave a comment:

• ninja
    replied
    Landing in casual water is bad luck, but provisions have been made to deal with that.

Leave a comment:

• ace in the hazard
    replied
    My vote is for one that's new to me: you're only allowed to post about etiquette that is specifically covered in the rules of golf in the rules and etiquette section.

Leave a comment:

• synergy
    replied
    Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
    Add to that often a divot on a public course is a result of golfers not replacing or filling them properly.
    Uhm, I’ve seen plenty of unpaired divots (and pitch marks) on private courses too.

Leave a comment:

• Bellyhungry
    replied
    While I understand the practicality of them, but I think it is unfair (or whatever word or words you prefer) to change the rules for professional tournament plays.

Pros' errand shots saved by the gallery lining up the fairway or the grand stand surrounding the green is my biggest point of contention.

The outcome of many great tournaments probably would have changed had those grand stands surrounding hole were not there.

ps: I would like to hear the takes of the rules officials here on this topic.

Leave a comment:

• aaagc
    replied
    Originally posted by ninja View Post

Ground under repair includes any holes made by a greenkeeper so including a divot isn't all that far-fetched.
    Define a divot (hole) so that everyone knows what one is or isn't.

Leave a comment:

• golfingtime
    replied
    Really picking it up and dropping beside the divot is so tough. Pros that we watch all play perfectly manicured courses where divots and prpoerlp tended to. Hitting a divot for them is a nuisance bit no big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    I'm a believer that golf is a game of skill and luck. The skill part tests your physical abilities, and the luck part tests your mental strength. How you deal with bad luck is an integral part of the test of golf.

I think it would be very hard to rule whether or not a ball is actually in a divot, a brand new divot, a poorly-repaired divot, an almost-but-not-quite-healed divot, etc. Having that sort of confusion and grey area would actually make the game worse, lead to slower play and more arguments - unless we all just agreed to tip the ball up for each stroke. That would be a dumb rule.

Which leads back to aaagc's point: "learn to play the shot".

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X