Collapse

Golfers Notebook during games....

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golfers Notebook during games....

Guys what's your thoughts on this, and do you find it a rude thing to do with respect to it slowing down a line up behind you or your playing partners, or do you say "screw it" my score is more important. I'm talking about carrying a small notebook around with you on the course that essentially has a breakdown of all of your distances with your specific clubs, and then each club broken down into distance versus full swing, half swing, quarter swing so basically you refer to it every time you have a shot that you have figured out the distance (so using your range finder), and also writing down information about the course and holes a day prior so you know the green breaks etc. Reason I ask is, I like to spend the night before a game going through Swing By Swing app and figuring out all the information on the course (hazards, green breaks, etc), and jotting them down and basically creating a game plan for myself, which clubs to use assuming I hit them all pure and how to tactically play each hole, I also have in my book every club I use and it's distance and furthermore its distance versus half swing, quarter swings and full swings, etc, and I use my rangefinder on every shot....I do this because I obviously want to shoot my best that day, but my playing partners are always rushing me and saying don't do that, just go hit your shot etc and you are holding us up....so what are the rules for this? Am I in the right to play my shots strategically or is there a time limit basically on how fast I gotta shoot?

I'd say it really depends on how long you're taking. I mean, if you're in JB Holmes territory then maybe pump the brakes on over analyzing things, but honestly what's the difference between using a range finder and taking some time with your club selection. Personally I don't want to be rushed, I have my pre-shot routine and by no means is it slow, but I don't want someone else to dictate to me how fast I should be particularly if it's not holding anyone up. Again, if you're walking off putts like DJ then maybe it's time to speed things up as you're not playing for money after all....
    What's in the bag?
    TM M2
    Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
    PING Sigma G Putter
    Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

If your playing partners are ALL of the opinion that you are holding them up, then maybe you are tactically too slow and 'holding them up'.
      Paying a green fee is no licence to take ALL the time in the world. How long do you take (timed) from setting down your bag to hitting the shot?

Using Excel, develop a 1/2 page laminated card with yardages/club for full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swings. Then refer to it when pulling a particular club.
      Eventually you won't even need the technical based laminated yardage card, and the sooner the better, as it diminishes your ability to feel the shot.
      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
        If your playing partners are ALL of the opinion that you are holding them up, then maybe you are tactically too slow and 'holding them up'.
        Paying a green fee is no licence to take ALL the time in the world. How long do you take (timed) from setting down your bag to hitting the shot?

Using Excel, develop a 1/2 page laminated card with yardages/club for full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swings. Then refer to it when pulling a particular club.
        Eventually you won't even need the technical based laminated yardage card, and the sooner the better, as it diminishes your ability to feel the shot.
        I like this idea!

Comment

What is your Handicap Index?

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
            What is your Handicap Index?
            Best round I have had this season is an 88 but I just started golfing a few months ago, still learning my swing and putting is my major weak point, I have a lot of extra strokes on putting that I hope to fix for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalMachine View Post
              Guys what's your thoughts on this, and do you find it a rude thing to do with respect to it slowing down a line up behind you or your playing partners, or do you say "screw it" my score is more important. I'm talking about carrying a small notebook around with you on the course that essentially has a breakdown of all of your distances with your specific clubs, and then each club broken down into distance versus full swing, half swing, quarter swing so basically you refer to it every time you have a shot that you have figured out the distance (so using your range finder), and also writing down information about the course and holes a day prior so you know the green breaks etc. Reason I ask is, I like to spend the night before a game going through Swing By Swing app and figuring out all the information on the course (hazards, green breaks, etc), and jotting them down and basically creating a game plan for myself, which clubs to use assuming I hit them all pure and how to tactically play each hole, I also have in my book every club I use and it's distance and furthermore its distance versus half swing, quarter swings and full swings, etc, and I use my rangefinder on every shot....I do this because I obviously want to shoot my best that day, but my playing partners are always rushing me and saying don't do that, just go hit your shot etc and you are holding us up....so what are the rules for this? Am I in the right to play my shots strategically or is there a time limit basically on how fast I gotta shoot?
              Play twilight solo if u want to right a diary.
              Buy game golf.
              It will track distances of each shot.
              You can review and analyse on comp after.
              Easy touch of a button.

Comment

Ok, I'll admit I couldn't tolerate playing with someone who looks at notes each shot. Using a rangefinder or a phone app to quickly get the yardage, sure....but just make it reasonably quick.

Memorize how far you hit each club --- it's not that hard. If you hit a 7-iron 140 yards, obviously a 3/4 shot will go not as far.

If your playing partners are telling you you're taking too long --- and you're hearing this often ---then you're taking too long. Next thing that'll happen is that you won't have any regular playing partners.

Comment

Given how quickly you've progressed with your game in 3 months, I'd spend the rest of the season (2 months) focussing on putting (where you are losing strokes) and maybe short game.

I don't think you're going to knock a whole lot of shots off with all this detail, especially on longer clubs.

I haven't encountered a lot of times I would choose a 3/4 5i over a full 6i. Also, weather, elevation, wind, roll, hardness/softness of the landing area all contribute to make it unnecessary to be overly precise.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                    I don't think you're going to knock a whole lot of shots off with all this detail, especially on longer clubs.
                    I agree. I've been playing between 2-2.5 hdcp this summer and I'm certainly not super precise with my irons. If I'm out 165 yards....I'm gonna hit an 6-iron under normal conditions. Most likely it's gonna go between 160-170 yards. If I hit it absolutely perfectly flush maybe a hair farther.

If if you're shooting in the 90s you're not going to be consistent with your distance. You'll get better, but you have to factor in some variability at this point. Get that consistency on the range and use course time to get better, but also to have fun. Becoming a course accountant, over analyzing everything during a round, is going to take the fun out of it for you (IMO) and your playing partners.

Comment

This is an exercise in putting the cart before the horse. Until you are scoring well these stats are meaningless to your score. They may help save a stroke a round which at this point is meaningless but when you are trying to finally break par will make a difference.

I think these yardage charts are virtually useless.

Think about the number of combinations.

13 clubs all with full, 3/4,1/2, 1/4
                      We are at 52 yardages documented

You mention shaping shots.

normal trajectory,
                      high draw,
                      low draw,
                      high fade,
                      low fade

260 combinations

Add in air temp,
                      humidity,
                      wind
                      ground conditions

I would work on shots around the green first. Club selection on those shots. Getting a chip to spin and brake, getting it to release. When to lob, when to run the ball on the ground. Using a hybrid from the short rough, blading a ball that is stuck on the collar. Shots from the sand.

Playing with a person shooting in the 90's doing all that analysis would not be fun at all. I appreciate your dedication but those exacting standards won't make a difference without consistent execution and feel for the shot being played.

There are many pro's who won't try and work the ball. They would rather hit their stock shots and rather than play for a pin wait for the right opportunity to score.
                      Last edited by Bern; Aug 21, 2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
                        Memorize how far you hit each club --- it's not that hard. If you hit a 7-iron 140 yards, obviously a 3/4 shot will go not as far.
                        That always amaze me that people don't know how far they hit the ball. I could tell you pretty much to 1 or 2 yards the distance of each irons. When I went to my fitting . . . it was exactly what I told Chris. After adjustment and tip he made/mention I had to adjust some distance (for the better). I still remember 20 years later where the better ball players from opposing team hits. Lefty, pulls the ball, not too deep . . . so important.

Not need any book . . . and also have to remember the greens from our home course. I could pretty much tell how much break there will be on a putt from 20 yards away . . .
                        If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Excellent points by everyone!! Everything has been duly noted! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalMachine View Post
                            Excellent points by everyone!! Everything has been duly noted! Thank you.
                            I'll add one more for your thoughts. On the Hamilton-Halton Junior Golf Tour, on which I am a Director and Rules Official/Traffic Controller , we give the kids 40 seconds to hit the shot once they are beside their ball and it is their turn to strike. That is the PGA Tour standard which sadly is rarely enforced by the Tour. BTW, that is plenty of time. Stand still and count to forty. You will agree.
                            In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                            Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                            TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                            TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                            PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                            TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                            Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                            TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

I'll add one more for your thoughts. On the Hamilton-Halton Junior Golf Tour, on which I am a Director and Rules Official/Traffic Controller , we give the kids 40 seconds to hit the shot once they are beside their ball and it is their turn to strike. That is the PGA Tour standard which sadly is rarely enforced by the Tour. BTW, that is plenty of time. Stand still and count to forty. You will agree.
                              40 seconds is def a lot of time, glad to know that there is a figure at least, thanks for the little piece of info!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X