Collapse

Putter anchoring ban....is it ON or OFF

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putter anchoring ban....is it ON or OFF

Noticed David Hearn and Adam Scott are using their long putter again. Are they doing the Bernhard Langer or are they on the edge of rule?

To answer the question in the thread title, anchoring your putter is not permitted. Nothing has changed in that.
    Nobody could answer your question about Hearn and Scott without watching them putt and even then any judgement could really only be on a putt by putt basis.

I watched Langer at the Open from the greenside with binoculars and really, you could not tell whether he is anchoring or not.

Comment

It looks like they had questions on Hearn after a round at the John Deere, and reviewed his stroke. And deemed it was acceptable.

https://golfweek.com/2018/07/14/davi...was-anchoring/

Comment

No one in the business - Referrees, pros, coaches, etc., seem to have any big problem with Hadwin and Langer etc.

Some fans think they might be cheating, but they're not in the biz....

For the record, I still think it's a dumb rule, but it's definitely "on" and doesn't appear to be changing in the new rules coming out.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Mookie View Post
          It looks like they had questions on Hearn after a round at the John Deere, and reviewed his stroke. And deemed it was acceptable.

https://golfweek.com/2018/07/14/davi...was-anchoring/
          That pic looks like anchored to me...you can't tell unless we use the "goal line came" to see if we can put a piece of paper between his hand and chest. Maybe we need a further clarification that there must be some clear and defined daylight in there.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Just a different anchor point but same general theory.

I think just get rid of the rule.

Comment

^^^ I agree and if this is not anchored then what is, you can see the indentation of his shirt.

IMO Rule needs to be rewritten.

Click image for larger version

Name:	david-hearn-jdc-anchored.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2848724
            Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

What you CAN'T see in the pic above is.... if he's anchoring.

Fit guy, loose shirt, it's gonna drape with gravity. He's pushing the shirt up with his hand, but no way to tell if it's touching his chest or not.

Still, just drop the rule. It was utterly unnecessary and I don't think new and unnecessary rules are a good way to be going.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                ^^^ I agree and if this is not anchored then what is, you can see the indentation of his shirt.

IMO Rule needs to be rewritten.

Click image for larger version

Name:	david-hearn-jdc-anchored.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2848724
                it's a grey area for sure, and not just the colour of the shirt. Yes there is an indent, but it doesn't mean his hand is touching his chest as he is bending over and the shirt is loose. I suppose in the end it's an honour thing in that we trust that he isn't touching his chest, despite how close he is to it.
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X