Collapse

Altering grips-legal?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altering grips-legal?

i played with a guy yesterday who had attached a rubber washer to the grips of all of his clubs. The washers were about halfway down the shafts, and when he gripped the club, he wrapped the little finger of his lower hand around the washer. I assume this was a way of ensuring his grip was consistent. Is altering a club in this way legal?

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
    i played with a guy yesterday who had attached a rubber washer to the grips of all of his clubs. The washers were about halfway down the shafts, and when he gripped the club, he wrapped the little finger of his lower hand around the washer. I assume this was a way of ensuring his grip was consistent. Is altering a club in this way legal?
    I believe it's in the Equipment rules, appendix 2 , it's seen as altering the grip and using a training aid which is non conforming during play.
    Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
    Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
    Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
    Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
    Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
    Pro V1x Left Dash
    Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
    Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
      That sounds non conforming, the exact rules for grips is as stated here below courtesy of the USGA:
      Putter grips are in the next section, not shown here.
      As usual the rule is designed in an attempt to cover every possible scenario,
      bur for sure exceptions always seem to arise, but if nobody phones in, maybe he'll be OK.

a. Definition

Appendix II, 3 begins by stating that:
      The grip consists of material added to the shaft to enable the player to obtain a firm hold. The grip must be fixed to the shaft, must be straight and plain in form, must extend to the end of the shaft and must not be molded for any part of the hands. If no material is added, that portion of the shaft designed to be held by the player must be considered the grip.
      The grip is principally for the purpose of assisting the player in obtaining a firm hold - so that the club does not slip or twist out of the player's hand. However, the installation of a grip is optional.

When no material is added to the part of the shaft designed to be held by the player, the Rules relating to the grip take precedence over the Rules relating to the shaft. Therefore, the dimensions and cross-section of that area of the shaft may change and equal bending in any direction would not be required (see Design of Clubs, Section 2b).

In order to accommodate both hands, the grip must be at least seven inches (177.8 mm) in length. This also applies to clubs which have been designed to be used one-handed. For putters with two grips, see The Grip, Section 3c.

Due to the nature of grips and the Rules regulating them, it is sometimes very difficult to make a ruling without examining and comparing examples of other grips which are known to either conform or not conform. However, this is not something which would normally be possible in the field. It may help to remember that the overall consideration is that a grip "must not be molded for any part of the hands." If a certain feature on the grip enables the player to place his hands in exactly the same position every time, solely by feel and without actually looking at the grip, then it must be determined whether that feature renders the grip "molded for the hands." An extreme example of a grip which would be ruled "molded for the hands" is the type of "training grip" often used to help beginners. However, a grip which has subtle changes in surface texture would usually be considered conforming. Likewise, printed markings which assist with the correct placement of the hands visually would normally be considered conforming. Most of the details contained in Design of Clubs, Sections 3b and 3c serve to clarify and expand on this basic principle.

b. Cross-section

Appendix II, 3(i) through (iv) provide more specific parameters for the grip and states that:
      (i) For clubs other than putters the grip must be circular in cross-section, except that a continuous, straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip, and a slightly indented spiral is permitted on a wrapped grip or replica of one.

(ii) A putter grip may have a non-circular cross-section, provided the cross-section has no concavity, is symmetrical and remains generally similar throughout the length of the grip.

(iii) The grip may be tapered but must not have any bulge or waist. Its cross-sectional dimensions measured in any direction must not exceed 1.75 inches (44.45 mm).

(iv) For clubs other than putters the axis of the grip must coincide with the axis of the shaft.
      (i) Circular Cross-Section Requirement (Woods and Irons)

Grips on woods and iron clubs are allowed to deviate from circular by having a slightly raised rib running along the full length of the grip (often called a "reminder rib").

"Slightly raised" is interpreted to mean that the maximum and minimum diameters of the cross-section at any point must not differ by more than 0.040 inches (1.016 mm). Additionally, the dimension of the rib width, from edge to edge, should not exceed 50% of the grip's internal diameter. While the first measurement can be taken using a pair of calipers, due to the nature of gripping materials, caution should be taken in making decisions in the field.

In the case of a standard length grip (approximately 10 inches (254 mm) in length), the "full length of the grip" is interpreted to mean that the rib must extend to within 3 inches (76.2 mm) of the tip. This is generally regarded as enough to cover the span of the player's hands on the grip (see Figure 13).

Simulated leather wrapped grips molded out of a rubber-like material with an indented spiral surface pattern or other similar indentations are permitted, as long as the fingers cannot comfortably fit in between the spirals or indentations. Also, features such as lines, dots, or other patterned indentations, which are too small to fit even the smallest of fingers, would not of themselves cause a grip to be in breach of the Rules. Such features would not normally render a grip non-circular in cross-section (for irons and woods) or not generally similar throughout the length of the grip (putters).

(ii) Putter G
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

(iii) The grip may be tapered but must not have any bulge or waist. Its cross-sectional dimensions measured in any direction must not exceed 1.75 inches (44.45 mm).

From (b) above - it seems to me that it could be interpreted as a "bulge" or "waist". If I am correct, then it is illegal.
        My Weapons of Grass Destruction:
        Titleist TS2 10.5*
        Titleist 917F2 15*
        Titleist 818H1 19*
        Titleist 716 AP2 4-P
        Vokey SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M
        Odyssey Black Series 3
        Round white things with a bunch of dimples and scrapes

Comment

Originally posted by paperclip View Post

From (b) above - it seems to me that it could be interpreted as a "bulge" or "waist". If I am correct, then it is illegal.
          Ribbed grips like the align models so popular right now have what can be interpreted as a bulge

Comment

I still play with a Ray-Cook M-1 mallet from the late '70 with an illegal "waisted" Grip-Rite.
            It fits into your hands perfectly.
            I guess too perfectly.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
              I still play with a Ray-Cook M-1 mallet from the late '70 with an illegal "waisted" Grip-Rite.
              It fits into your hands perfectly.
              I guess too perfectly.
              Cheater.
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

forgive me father. for I have.....
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...