Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ball hits another ball on the green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball hits another ball on the green

Today my buddy and I were on the green and he was away. My ball was way off his line but to be sure I asked him if he wanted it marked. He said no it was fine but his putt did hit my ball and surely stopped his from going way past the hole leaving him a tap in. Does he incur any penalty? He said I should for not marking my ball.

2 stroke penalty to him. you replace your ball, he plays his where it lies.

pretty sure you offering to mark is irrelevant to the situation.
    What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
    TM Rescue 17*
    TM M2 4-AW
    TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
    Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

No penalty to him if it was matchplay.

Rules 18-5 and 19-5a
      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

And this will remain the same in 2019.

Comment

What would be the case if he was chipping from off the green instead of putting.

Comment

Did you read rule 19-5a
            If a player's ball in motion after a stroke is deflected or stopped by a ball in play and at rest, the player must play his ball as it lies. In match play, there is no penalty. In stroke play, there is no penalty, unless both balls lay on the putting green prior to the stroke, in which case the player incurs a penalty of two strokes.
            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
              What would be the case if he was chipping from off the green instead of putting.
              If your ball is on the green, and a player chips from off the green and hits your ball, you replace your ball to where it originally lay, and the other player plays it where it lies.

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
                Today my buddy and I were on the green and he was away. My ball was way off his line but to be sure I asked him if he wanted it marked. He said no it was fine but his putt did hit my ball and surely stopped his from going way past the hole leaving him a tap in. Does he incur any penalty? He said I should for not marking my ball.
                AWK....Let me see if I got this right.

Your buddy declines your offer to mark your ball, then blows his shot and hits your ball, which was way off his line, which saves his from running way past the hole, and gives him a tap in....and he has the audacity to tell you that you should be penalized?

I'm biting my tongue

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
                  Dave:

Christmas is not far away. Buy your buddy a rule book.

A perfect example of why no one should ever learn the rules from their playing partners.
                  Sage of the GTA...

Comment

for the casual weekend warrior , I can see how this rule could be misunderstood and confused with what the rule is when/if the ball was struck or putted from off of the putting surface as we often see on tv that a ball hits another on the green and there is no penalty incurred. Not sure I have ever seen a pro putt a ball and hit another's ball on the green.

how he determined that Dave would get a penalty ????
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Your buddy?

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 174,138   Posts: 1,822,408   Members: 47,197   Active Members: 177
                      Welcome to our newest member, ShuckerPaddy.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                      X