Collapse

Advice at Ryder Cup?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice at Ryder Cup?

This morning I saw the U.S. Captain discussing something with Spieth. I assume that the guidelines are similar to other team related competitions such as NCAA, or Canadian University Championships. Anyone know what is allowed at Ryder Cup?

Specifically, I was wondering if the Captain is allowed to convey club selections from previous groups. And, if not, how is it controlled?
    Last edited by A Man Called Papa; Sep 30, 2018, 08:48 AM.
    People who lose faith in golf commonly convert to Catholicism, because the rules are easier to live with.

Golf: - The Agony and the Ecstasy

Originally posted by A Man Called Papa View Post
    This morning I saw the U.S. Captain discussing something with Spieth. I assume that the guidelines are similar to other team related competitions such as NCAA, or Canadian University Championships. Anyone know what is allowed at Ryder Cup?

Specifically, I was wondering if the Captain is allowed to convey club selections from previous groups. And, if not, how is it cotrolled?
    I believe based on past Cups that they make a team agreement as to who can coach the players. It is usually restricted to Captains and assistants. And while it does seem to be contrary to RoG, there have been plenty of instances where a captain will tell a player what has been hit on a particular hole for previous groups

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post

I believe based on past Cups that they make a team agreement as to who can coach the players. It is usually restricted to Captains and assistants. And while it does seem to be contrary to RoG, there have been plenty of instances where a captain will tell a player what has been hit on a particular hole for previous groups
      Which Rule would it be contrary to? The note to Rule it does leave it open to a Committee to lay down conditions but essentially it is permitted to have a captain or whoever to be appointed to give advice to a team:

Note: The Committee may, in the conditions of a team competition (Rule 33-1), permit each team to appoint one person who may give advice (including pointing out a line for putting) to members of that team. The Committee may establish conditions relating to the appointment and permitted conduct of that person, who must be identified to the Committee before giving advice.

Comment

I'd read that the CoC for the RC allowed only Captains, and not vices or anyone else to give advice. There was some historic incident where they thought Seve had broken the rule, but it turned out he wasn't giving advice.

Is it "advice" to tell your guys that everyone seems to be hitting it short on a hole, so take one more club than you think you need? No club numbers, just and observation of the previous rounds going through.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

From this year's Ryder Cup website:

Also, as a condition of competition, one captain per team (it could be a Vice-Captain if the Captain so designates) is allowed to give advice to players. So you might see a captain station himself on a par-3 hole, say, to help his players with decisions on clubs, offering inside information on how previous players have played the hole.
          TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
            .....Is it "advice" to tell your guys that everyone seems to be hitting it short on a hole, so take one more club than you think you need? No club numbers, just and observation of the previous rounds going through.
            Yes it is.

Comment

While the designated person may give advice these situations, can a player go up to this person and ask what club should I hit?

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
                While the designated person may give advice these situations, can a player go up to this person and ask what club should I hit?
                Yes, it goes each way.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X